The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 8, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
mike6975

BP versus modern gun ballistics

after doin some research and reading i found out this:

(colt model 1860 army 44 cal. 8" barrel)
37 grain load/138gr.=.451rb bulllet/[email protected]

(magtech cowboy load) cartridge
45 lng. colt 250grn. bullet [email protected]

(ultramax cowboy ammo)
45 lng. colt 250grn. bullet [email protected]

(colt walker 9" barrel)
50 grain load/141gr.=.454rb bulllet/[email protected]!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
modern gun ballistics

(wolf gold line ammo)
45 lng. colt 185grn. bullet [email protected]

(cci blazer ammo)
45 lng. colt 230grn. bullet [email protected]

(winchester pistol usa ammo)

(remington handgun ammo)

(hornady ammo)

i'm sure everyone has something to add to this,especially if you roll your own,but i found this info interesting,and next time i'm at the range and someone says those things(bp)aren't potent and are just for fun,i'll have this data to back it up.

mike
Old August 8, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2
fastforty

LOL, they'll knock you on yer butt in a hurry, you just have to wait for the smoke cloud to clear to see if you got a good hit (that cloud offers good cover too).

I think that BP's shining point is in rifles. I did some penetration testing (yeah, that's what I'm calling it, LOL) with 320 grain bullets & it went through 2 or 3 layers of 2x6 lumber, a phone book & a railroad tie (yes, all stacked in front of each other). If you really like ripping/blowing stuff up, a .50+ cal rifle is the ticket to do it cheaply

Last edited by fastforty; August 8, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: bad numbers
Old August 8, 2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
I did some penetration testing (yeah, that's what I'm calling it, LOL) with that bullet & it went through 2 or 3 layers of 2x6 lumber, a phone book & a railroad tie (yes, all stacked in front of each other). If you really like ripping/blowing stuff up, a .50+ cal rifle is the ticket to do it cheaply
I've got to take issue with that. I've been shooting bp a looong time and I never got that kind of penetration with a .50, not even with 100 grs. of powder and a hard cast conical. I'll buy the 3 2X6's and maybe a phone book(if it's not too thick) but a .50 won't go through a RR tie even if that's all there is. A .58 minie powered by 70 grs. of powder will go completely through a four room frame house from 500 yds. if it doesn't hit a stud If you want real destruction get a .58 with minies.
Old August 9, 2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Raider2000

Thats some good info there Mike, even my 5.5" barreled .44 58' has some decent ballistics with .457 143gr. Ball.

I'll have to agree with HH in the penetration, because I've shot a 320gr. .512 Lee REAL Bullet out of my Bobcat with 100gr. of FFFG Goex & only penetrated through a Steel Mess Kit Pan & 5 inches of Packed magazines at 100 yards, a RR tir is a pretty thick & tough piece of wood.
Old August 9, 2008, 04:02 PM   #5
fastforty

Maybe yer not holding your mouth right Hawg
Really, just cuz you haven't done it or seen it happen doesn't mean that it didn't. It was a 320gr Maxi Ball with a 90gr charge at about 75 feet. The railroad tie is still laying out by the barn ifya care to stop by & stick something through the hole. It surprised the heck outta me to, so there's no need to "take issue".
Old August 9, 2008, 04:13 PM   #6
fastforty

Ok, I think I figgered out the answer. You guys are back there where they cut down every oak tree in sight to build railroads. Out here on the West Coast, ties are usually made out of Redwood. No, there aint nothin that is going to shoot through an OAK railroad tie. My sister's British 303 with armor piercing surplus ammo punched little pencil holes through Redwood ties all day long, & my .50 cal blows BIG holes through them
Old August 9, 2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Hawg

Well, that makes a little more sense. If the ties are that soft how long does the RR go before replacing them? Lots of folks here use old cross ties for back stops because not much of anything penetrates them completely. Actually more oak is chipped up to make paper products than cross ties.
Old August 9, 2008, 05:55 PM   #8
playtheblues

I guarantee you a .50 won't shoot through a cross tie like they use around here, even without the 2X6s and phone book. Maybe a very rotten cross tie!
Bill in SC
Old August 9, 2008, 11:32 PM   #9
CraigC

Quote:
If you really like ripping/blowing stuff up, a .50+ cal rifle is the ticket to do it cheaply
I have never seen an armadillo explode like they do when hit with a .54cal roundball at 1900fps!!!