The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 7, 2007, 06:46 PM   #1
kidneybrain

Buying Shotgun recomendations

Hi all I am brand new to these forums and have never owned a gun but am very interested in buying one.

I live in Philadelphia and b/c of their laws here i cant get a CCW or purchase a pistol for that matter until 21, but i am able to buy a shotgun or rifle for home defense and am looking for recommendations.

I've look @ the 500 J.I.C.™ (Just In Case) Shotguns and Persuader both from Mossberg online(but not knowing much about guns) am looking for direction.

Also looking for tips on buying a gun.(what to look for, what to look out for,etc.)

and if anyone would recommend any gun stores in Philadelphia

Thanks alot.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:44 PM   #2
rem870hunter

try the kmart on oregon ave. are you righthanded or lefthanded? if your a righty see what they have in remington and mossberg. try a rem. 870 and a moss. 500 they will most likely have a vent rib barrel 26"-28" long. too much barrel for in the house. you can buy a loose barrel online. or yellow page the shops nearby try a few of them even call them and tell them what you would like. they may have a model or 2 with an 18" or a 20" barrel. would it be home defense only? if all you are using it for is HD the 18" with bead should be fine. otherwise go with a 20" with sights . you shouldn't need more than a regular 4+1 capacity. but get whatever feels natural. sight it in for about 50 yards with some slugs. and practice as often as possible with buckshot too. pattern it asap for 25 yards after purchase. i recommend using #1 buckshot. remington and winchester make it. some federal may still be out there. try that too.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:53 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I understand the desire to have a pistol grip for close-quarters but I don't think you'll enjoy firing it. I have an 870 Express HD with regular stock. With regular 00 Buck it's very manageable. Mossberg makes a good gun, I would just pick one with a regular stock. Also, don't get hung up thinking you need all the "tacti-cool" accessories. There is very little chance that you'll need more than the stock 5-shot capacity. The only reason I bought a dedicated 8-shot HD gun is that I found one used and I just happen to prefer Remington.
Old December 8, 2007, 02:44 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For what I understand you seek... A 20 gauge is my personal choice. i can confidently rely on it a a hard stopper in HD desire. I can comfortably practice with it shooting stuff 50-100 rounds. just look at special use guns to see the black 20 gauge pistol grip.... I have my son's Maverick 88 full stock on for now.
Brent
Old December 10, 2007, 06:39 PM   #5
kidneybrain

thanks alot guys for your recommendations and as soon as i make my purchase ill tell you the model i purchase.
Old December 23, 2007, 03:16 AM   #6
3-fitty-7

i also reside in philadelphia, tho can't be much help in making your choice since i'm in the same position as you (thinkin mossberg 500, i shot my fiancee's uncle's and it was awesome) but i can tell you some good shops. lock's on 69th street is awesome, front and greenwich has very good prices and really cool workers, and 9th and ellsworth has a good selection but you have to get to know the people a little bit in there. i have bought handguns from these shops and i trust the products they sell. hope this helped you.
Old December 23, 2007, 05:20 PM   #7
T-Ray

go with a remington 870

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old December 25, 2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Spade Cooley

Was the shot to the Uncle fatal?

Why would anyone want to own a shotgun in Philly, the city of brotherly love?