The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
QuarterHorse

If you were buying a shotgun for 3 gun....

What would you buy and why? I'm leaning towards the FNH SLP Tactical but the Versamax Tactical is also in my head. I think the M4 is a touch out of my actual price range but I could scrape if it was heads above better.

Thoughts and recommendations welcomed.
Old October 12, 2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Virginian

Used 1100. You can get it gold plated and still come out ahead. From what I have seen 1100s and the Benellis are the favorites.
Old October 13, 2013, 07:42 PM   #3
mxsailor803

For the money, Remington 1100. You could do a couple modifications and be ahead of buying a FN or Benelli. Not bashing either brand mind you. Just much rather be smart with my money and make only the upgrades needed.
Old October 14, 2013, 02:20 AM   #4
bamaranger

same

The boy and I are talking about it, and if we do, a used 1100 is the way we will likely go. A mag extension and bed liner the walnut stocks if that's how we find one. The 1100 is pretty common. Used ones in most shops around here. A shorter tube is another matter.
Old October 14, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
QuarterHorse

Around these parts it's not uncommon to see used 1100's over 500 bones. By the time I start putting odds/ends on it I'm pushing the dollar for the FNH or Versamax.

I always look on a few sites for local deals, but honestly, if I'm within 200 bucks of a used 1100 vs the FNH/Versamax set up, I'll go with the modern set up.
Old October 17, 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
QuarterHorse

No other 3 gun guys around!?
Old October 17, 2013, 08:21 PM   #7
BillM

I play around at 3 gun a bit, and run a 1100. If I were serious, I would
look REALLY hard at getting the coin together for a Beretta 1301
Competition. Second choices would be a Benelli M2, Versa-Max, or
the FN.

Watch a few episodes of 3 Gun Nation--those boys are playing for
money, and what they are running is what they consider the BEST.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Bake

Back in the day when 3 gun match were just side matches that were shot while we waited for our USPSA Match scores. I started out with an 870/12ga., and did well. After a while these matches got bigger than the USPSA courses. I use an HK (Benelli) and never looked back. My benelli has had 1,000's of rounds, and I expect to shoot 1,000's more.

My vote would before any Benelli...
Old October 17, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9
allaroundhunter

Pretty much the standard for 3 gun shotguns is the Benelli M2. I have never seen an M4 being used and I have been to multiple big matches and seen top shooters such as Jerry Miculek and Daniel Horner.

Just behind the Benelli would be the Versamax, and after that the FNH SLP. To just get into it an 1100 will work, but if it would cost the same as an M2 then go with the Benelli.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Destructo6

I vote Versamax Tactical, then SLP.

The order is just due to price point.

I've shot 2 different SLPs in 3-gun matches. One ran flawlessly. The other had been modified by the previous owner to be "better" and wouldn't cycle high velocity slugs (which is all I had), but ran birdshot just fine.

I like the SLP.

My 3 gun shotgun is a Mossberg 930 JM Pro, which you can read about in other threads, if you're interested. I knew the risks going in and would buy the Versamax if I were to do it again (not too late, I guess).

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 18, 2013, 05:05 PM   #11
MattShlock

Benelli, but Stoeger version if u r not that serious.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:26 PM   #12
semi_problomatic

If you've never shot 3-gun...why not whatever 12ga you have? I don't think I'd drop $3-4k into a sport I don't know I'd like. Shoot, a NEF pardner can hold 7 rounds bone stock (5 in tube, 1 in chamber, and 1 ghost loaded) for $200. Add a gg&g improved follower for $30 and you've got plenty of money left over for some proper shell holders.

If you're just looking for an excuse to buy a tactical semi-auto 12 and have cash to burn; check out what they use at comps. Personally, IF I were buying a gun for a something I never tried and didn't want to use a pump, I'd use a cz712 with a nordic tube for less than $400....but thats me.

Oh yeah, before someone misreads that post: I meant $3-4k in 3 new guns and gear...not $3-4k in just that shotgun.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Nickel Plated

It would be a long time before I get the money to get into 3 gun. But I always thought that once i do, my shotgun would probably be a Winnie SX3. How would that compare to the FN SLP? The SLP is pretty much a Win SX2 with an FN logo on the receiver. So I would think the SX3 would be better...since 3 is better than 2?

But yeah, if you decide on the FN and have a hard time finding it. You can just go with the SX2. Same exact gun.
Old October 18, 2013, 11:22 PM   #14
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_problomatic View Post
If you've never shot 3-gun...why not whatever 12ga you have? I don't think I'd drop $3-4k into a sport I don't know I'd like. Shoot, a NEF pardner can hold 7 rounds bone stock (5 in tube, 1 in chamber, and 1 ghost loaded) for $200. Add a gg&g improved follower for $30 and you've got plenty of money left over for some proper shell holders.

If you're just looking for an excuse to buy a tactical semi-auto 12 and have cash to burn; check out what they use at comps. Personally, IF I were buying a gun for a something I never tried and didn't want to use a pump, I'd use a cz712 with a nordic tube for less than $400....but thats me.

Oh yeah, before someone misreads that post: I meant $3-4k in 3 new guns and gear...not $3-4k in just that shotgun.
An M2 for $3k-$4k?.... Or a CZ 712 with a Nordic extension for under $400....

Where the heck are you shopping?
Old October 19, 2013, 09:25 PM   #15
semi_problomatic

^^^^ don't you read before posting? Seriously? Read the last sentence of my origional post....sheesh.

And gee, I shop around.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...49655/redirect

$294 for the cz and

http://www.makereadyproshop.com/prod...-tb-ext-nv.htm

$76 for extension

So $294 + $76 = $370. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but $370 is LESS than $400...right? Sweet, basic math at its finest.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Bake

The best (Cheapest) place to buy a "Like NIB" CZ-712 is in the parking lot, just after the shotgun stage of a three gun match...
Old October 19, 2013, 10:48 PM   #17
semi_problomatic

I bet Tom Knapp would've agreed with you.... Oh wait, thats what he used...of course, he was sponsored by cz...
Old October 19, 2013, 10:52 PM   #18
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_problomatic View Post
I bet Tom Knapp would've agreed with you.... Oh wait, thats what he used...of course, he was sponsored by cz...
And Jerry Miculek is sponsored by Mossberg. If he was to give an honest opinion do you think he would say that it is better than a Benelli?

Tom was also sponsored by Benelli, an honest opinion from him probably would have given you the same answer that you would get from Jerry.... And Daniel Horner, and Rob Romero and... Etc.
Old October 19, 2013, 11:00 PM   #19
semi_problomatic

I'm not saying benelli isn't better. I'm saying an entry level player should buy an entry level gun if they have no idea they even like it. If you read what I origionalky wrote, I said just use what you got. IF he just had to buy then buy something cheap to get his feet wet.

Miculek would suggest the one with his name one the side...

Probably get that walmart 930 with the stand off barrel for even less in the parking lot though...
Old October 21, 2013, 02:38 PM   #20
LSnSC

I shoot a couple of matches a month and Ive seen every make and model puke and choke. Usually its user error, lack of mtc, or cheap shells.

I shoot Heavy Metal 75% of the time and I run an 870. On an all shotgun stage I can keep up with all but the best semiauto guys. It points where I look and shoots slugs like a rifle.

The other 25% of the time I shoot Limited (tac irons) and run an 1100 that refuses to die. Its slower to load but has been very reliable for me. I know how to maintain one and what to look for to prevent a failure. They are a cheap gun to get set up and pretty reliable if you maintain them and shoot good shells. When it eventually wears out I will move to a newer platform.

If I was in the market for a new 3 gun shotgun it would be the Beretta 1301. I have a 390 and 391 that have had thousands of rounds thru them and if a mag tube extension would fit on either, I would shoot them. The Berettas are heads and shoulders above all the other semi auto shotguns IMO.

Second would be an SX3. It will do everything the SLP does for about 2/3 the price, and the vent ribbed barrel is better for me than the front sight and rail on the SLP. I actually had a 26" gun set up for 3 gun, an it ran like a demon, but a buddy made me an offer I couldnt refuse.

Third would be a between the Versamax and the M2. Both are good guns, but overpriced IMO.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:32 PM   #21
BoogieMan

I dont travel I just shoot when my local range runs 3-gun. I dont have any problem using my 30" BPS and hanging with any of the other guys. Im very familiar with the gun and have dumped many 1000's of rnds down the tube. If I was looking to cut 1/10ths of a second maybe I would invest in one of the guns you suggested. TBH half the guys will miss at least one of the shots and it gives me a huge edge by just being on target.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 24, 2013, 08:11 PM   #22
Vertigofirearms

Plain Benelli M4 is by no measure suited for 3-Gun. Too heavy, no barrel options, and to get it refined for 3-gun is well above what it would cost to get the ones below.

I would recommend you try (shoot and compare the feel) of the 1100, SLP, Versamax, M2, and 930JM. Then decide.
Old October 24, 2013, 10:04 PM   #23
QuarterHorse

Looking to buy to keep my 870 doing something else. After everyone's replies I'm really leaning the way of the Versa Max.
Old October 26, 2013, 08:43 AM   #24
ForneyRider

Versa max was on sale at Academy for like $800 for the entry level model.