The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 7, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1
flgunguy

AK market stabilizing

Atlantic has stock in and is pricing fair & honestly. www.atlanticfirearms.com

$900 and up for some quality 74 and 47's including Arsenals, Saigas, Krinkovs, etc..

Bud's was trying to rob people... err, I mean sell WASR's for $900.

This is a nice sign to see.
Old April 8, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

I personally know the folks at Atlantic and talked to them many times over the last several months. After Newtown they completely sold out then were given the option of purchasing rifles from their supply lines at a much higher cost to them. Initially they refused as they'd have to pass the costs along and folks would say they were 'gouging.' Other places, like Buds, paid those prices and passed the costs along. Now, Buds choice to sell a lot of their stock on their auction site is a whole separate conversation but that's just a little inside baseball as to what happened.

A good for instance is the AK kits Atlantic sells. They have to buy them in lots of 10k kits so they have to be careful when purchasing them. They initially didn't buy any kits post Newtown but as they didn't see the market shifting any time soon they choked it down and paid the higher price the wholesalers in Europe were charging (the wholesalers over there see the market shifting as well). Hence, their kits have gone up about $60 lately. But if they didn't have any stock the customers would be ****** too. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
EIGHTYDUECE

I asked the dealer I bought my AR from why AR prices were coming down and the AKs were still high. He stated that some companies like Century had upped their prices on their end, hence the high WASR prices. I don't know how true this is, so take it with a grain of salt.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old April 9, 2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
I asked the dealer I bought my AR from why AR prices were coming down and the AKs were still high.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that .233/5.56mm is still incredibly tough to find at anything close to reasonable prices, while 7.62x39mm is pretty available and still relatively inexpensive.

I'm sure many would-be owners are thinking "Why buy what I can't shoot?"
Old April 9, 2013, 09:39 PM   #5
TxFlyFish

Plouffedaddy any news on availability of arsenal sgl with folding stocks. Usual ak dealers are all out without any solid backprder dates. Seems like they're impossible to find even on gunbroker
Old April 16, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
mumblyj0e

Quote:
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that .233/5.56mm is still incredibly tough to find at anything close to reasonable prices, while 7.62x39mm is pretty available and still relatively inexpensive.
Just commonality seems to be the biggest problem during panic buying. 9mm and .223 is the most insane. They were selling target 9mm FMJ at a local gun show recently for almost $1/round and Steel case Tula .223 was the only semi-affordable one at 60 cents. 7.62 x 39 was between 40 and 60 cents.

I think pickiness of the related platforms and/or shooters has a lot to do with it as well. Just about every discussion regarding steel case in an AR indicates that it will tear up your rifle like wet paper, whereas the AK and SKS platforms have a reputation of shooting anything, any time, wet, dry, rusted, busted- it will gobble up steel case. So maybe just a bigger cheapo ammo market in the first place helped keep 7.62 down?
Old April 16, 2013, 11:36 PM   #7
horselips

I paid $439 for my WASR Underfolder and $299 for my Saiga .223. When prices really return to NORMAL, as above, call me. Until then, forget it. I will never pay a phony-baloney "market price" for anything. When spikes in demand create inflated prices, totally unrelated to the cost of production, count me out. I try to never pay more for anything than I believe it's worth, and I never, ever consider supply and demand in my evaluation.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Justice06RR

It has stabilized a little while ago in my area. I've seen AK sporters in my LGS for $699.

Last month I bought a used WASR 10/63 for less than $500.

Some places might not be so lucky...