The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 3, 2005, 02:38 PM   #1
ROGERTHAT

12ga Western Arms co.

I need some help! I just recently picked up this gun. It is a Western Arms Co. Single shot 12 ga. I have taked to a bunch of people and searched the web and no one seems to know anything about them
Old August 3, 2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

There were two Western Arms Companies.

The best known was the Western Arms Corporation located in Ithaca New York and was a brand name used by Ithaca Gun Company.

The only gun listed for them is a double barrel model named the "Western Long Range", made in 12, 16, 20, and .410, with 26 to 32 inch barrels.

It was available with single or double triggers.

It was made from 1929 to 1946

There was also a Western Arms Company located in Norwich, Connecticut that was a brand name used by the Bacon Arms Company.

Bacon was in business from 1862 until 1891.
Bacon was a maker of cheap, low-grade firearms, especially extremely cheap solid frame, rim-fire revolvers, commonly known as "Suicide Specials".

Bacon-Western Arms guns have little, if any value.

Due to the fact that a Western Arms shotgun was a low quality firearm to start with, and the age, I STRONGLY recommend you NOT attempt to fire it.

These old guns weren't very good to start with and were made for black powder shells.
They are NOT suitable for use with modern smokeless rounds.

FAIR WARNING: These can and WILL blow up in your face.
Old August 11, 2005, 01:09 PM   #3
DucksOnThePond

if the gun seems to be in good working order, I personally would not be hesitant to shoot it. I have an old trade gun which was probably made some time prior to WWII that still shoots well. I use 2 3/4" #6 or less and do not use any of the extended range shells or hevi-shot but I have not had any problems with it. have shot crows, rabbit, rats, wild cats, squirrell, etc. with it. the first time I took it out I made sure that I cleaned it real well and that the barrel and action were in good working order and I pointed it at a clump of grass and turned my head a little sideways. the gun went off without incident and I have had no problems. I am not offering a professional opinion but simply an opinion of someone who grew up shooting old champion, ajax and bay state shotguns. trade guns were inexpensive (and still are not worth anything) but they have put a lot of meat on the table through the years.