The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1
hinkleid

Want to get into reloading, but unsure of equipment.

Hi!

I am glad to have found this board. From past experience, many users of message boards are experts in the subject.

I recently bought a Browning A Bolt in 7MM Rem Mag and love the rifle, the stainless stalker. Getting decent at shooting it too. Problem is I like to shoot a little too much and gets pretty pricey. I have only bought the Rem Core Loks and Federal standard soft point. Both on sale at Cabela's here in Boise ID.

I am seriously considering getting into reloading to save some $$ and get in some more shooting time to become a better marksman.

Question I have is what type of equipment would you recommend for a beginner. Will probably shoot around 200/month, with possibly more in the summer when it warms here.

I seen an RCBS "Rockchucker" unit at a local sporting store for around $270. Now, I see this seller on Ebay and Gunbroker selling a Lee Anniversary kit for less than $100
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=63345934

i am not sure of the quality of this Lee unit but is just a little over 1/3 of the price of the RCBS Rockchucker unit. I want something that is of good quality, will work great, and last. I don't need the "best" in something like this, but want a decent kit that has everything to begin.

Your expert insights will greatly be appreciated.
Old January 15, 2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Welcome!

Hinklied--Welcome to TFL, and to The Magnificent Obsession--Reloading! Well, you're not obsessed yet, but give it time, give it time.

Re an equipment list, there is a nice sticky @ the top of the Handloading and Reloading Forum that gives a list of what you need; I'll refer you there rather than repeating.

Suggest, thought, that before you start acquiring equipment, you get "the standard text" on the subject and read that. Then you'll have a much more knowledgeable idea of what you want, what you need, and what you can wait until later to buy. The book is: The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing, www.krause.com Get it @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or order from the publisher. They must be doing something right; the book is in its 7th edition. This is an excellent how-to and better yet why-and-why-not-to kind of book; much good info for both beginners and advanced people. Belongs on every reloader's bookshelf, well thumbed, IMHO.

Again, glad you stopped by. And we'll be needing YOUR expertise, too. Everybody is an expert on something.

--Smokey Joe
Old January 15, 2007, 02:35 PM   #3
rangermonroe

Double the welcome.

I bought the Lee anniversary kit as my first. You will need a set of shellholders and trim bits and a few other odds and ends, maybe $50 worth of stuff. it has turned out some fine ammo over the years.

You will love this hobby, I know that I do.
Old January 15, 2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Ausserordeutlich

If you're sure that you want to reload and are not just "testing the waters," I'd highly recommend going with the RCBS kit. I'm sure you meant the Rockchucker kit, as the Rockchucker press is only around $100.

I started out on the Lee Anniversary Kit, but I really was just testing the waters...wasn't sure reloading was for me. If there's a chance that you're going to be loading higher volumes in the future, eg., for handguns, you should probably consider getting a Dillon 550 or something similar.
Old January 15, 2007, 04:56 PM   #5
RERICK

Try this thread you will find a lot of good info.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171
Old January 16, 2007, 12:37 AM   #6
hinkleid

Hi Again!

Thank you all for the good advice on this. I visited Cabela's again today (cannot stay away from that store when near it!) and seen the Lee Anniversary kit for $70 and the Rockchucker kit for $270... of course, the help staff was very unhelpful and did not know much more than I did.

I checked Fleabay hoping to pick up a decent one used (as they should last for a long time). Got one new (seller claims given as a gift and never used) for $180 and $15 shipping. What are your thoughts on this unit:

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic 085003

* Lock-N-Load Classic single-stage press
* Lock-N-Load Powder Measure
* Magnetic Scale
* The Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (two volume set)
* Three Lock-N-Load Die Bushings
* Primer Catcher
* Positive Priming Systemâ„¢
* Automatic Primer Feed
* Universal Reloading Block
* Chamfering and Deburring Tool
* Primer Turning Plate
* One Shotâ„¢ Case Lube

In addition to getting some 7 Mag Dies, primers, powder, and bullets... what other equipment should I have to start loading? I will get the book mentioned above to read while this is being shipped.
Old January 16, 2007, 12:50 AM   #7
James A. Mullins

The very best thing you can do is read that book. Infact buy a Speer book too. Both explain exactly the process for reloading. Follow their instructions and you will not go wrong. The very best of luck to you.
James
Old January 16, 2007, 12:55 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

Forget the auction sites. You have no idea how well the equipment has been looked after. Go talk to your local gun shop about an RCBS Beginner's Kit. Gives you everything you need less dies and shell holder. Cabela's likely carries them, but it's better to deal with your local shop. They're more likely to take the time to show you how to set it up and use it. Please remember that you're not alone. Ask any questions you may have here.
Old January 16, 2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Zippy06

Hi,
I've been a Lee guy, since 1986. Also GLOCK. Oh, and S&W.
Lee is great. Their web site is real good. They even have videos. On the set up.
And when I call or email. I get the answer. But, that's only happened 3 times.
I have a Lee Turret. It's easy to change to single stage press.
9mm, .357, .40, .223, 30-30, and soon .308.
Have fun.
Old January 16, 2007, 01:11 PM   #10
cheygriz

Anythng that says "Redding" on the box is top quality. Lyman, RCBS CH and ?Hornady are also excellent.

Personally, after several bad experiences, I would avoid anything made by Lee.