The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 31, 2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Apom

To Late.So Sad..AR build dashed

I wanted to build my first AR after the new year and obviously this new year is going to hell in a shopping cart.

After sitting in front of a computer for 5 days straight checking every website over and over..I managed to find 2 lowers in stock. According to site they should ship in 1-2 weeks. Only managed to get 4 pmags..

Uppers sold out.. bcgs sold out...lpks sold out.. guess in the meantime I can buy some magpul accessories....
Old December 31, 2012, 04:50 AM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

Be optimistic. While things may look bad right now, use the fact that things are hard to find to focus your search. Be scrutinous, only get what you truly want rather than going on a spending spree.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 31, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
'88Scrat

x2

If I've learned anything its that if you're patient you can almost always get exactly what you are looking for for a good price. This applies to more than just firearms as well.
Old December 31, 2012, 08:27 AM   #4
globemaster3

Patience. After the hysteria dies down, you'll be able to get back on track, especially if you already have the lower.

Use the time to save some extra $ for the project.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:57 PM   #5
bbamericanb

Just wondering, where did you find the pmags?
Old January 1, 2013, 03:08 PM   #6
tobnpr

PMs sent to bbamerican on the Pmags and Apom on the lowers...
Old January 1, 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
langenc

There are sayings--He who hesitates is lost--You snooze, you lose, etc.

Price may be up ang going but the world didnt end on Dec 21-some had predicted so, but not.
Old January 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #8
BerdanSS

I still need a BC for one of mine
Old January 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #9
RamItOne

Just print out the prices now and then when they settle back down you can tell the wife you had to buy them because you saved money. Then ask her how she likes dem apples lol

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 2, 2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Chowder

I am in the middle of building an AR right now also. I am almost glad everything sold out at the same time instead of just what I wanted so I didn't settle. It will take a while but I ordered everything I wanted and will just have to wait all summer for them to come in lol.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Xaak

Out of Stocks

Don't be totally down on availability. While this is potentially on the heels of the new Gun Control threat post the heinous killings of young children (that no Pro Gun person supported this cowardly and vicious murdering, but the media makes it seem we think it is okay), it is also part of the annual post holiday sales glut. Remember, tons of gun gifts and redeeming of money cards given during the holidays usually brings down on hand supplies.

Unless manufacturers are being paid NOT to build their products (hate to even think that the government would do that to work gun control), we should see quite a bit of these items back on the shelves and shopping carts of websites soon.

Experience tells us that they will cost more, and in some cases, significantly more. Even with gun legislation looming, most seems ridiculous and manufacturers will advance their production to maintain sales (profits, yes, not every gun company is there for just the 2nd amendment) prior to any potential changes.

In the process, watch what retailers back away from the whole "gun issue" (Hey Dick's, I just switched to Modells and Bass Pro Shops), plan to boycott them, and prepare to keep tally of your elected officials so next time we don't forget how the fork tongue wiggles two ways.

Political Addendum - Just an FYI: Under former President George W. Bush, 575 American soldiers died and fewer than 3,000 were wounded in Afghanistan. This means under Obama, at least 1,405 soldiers have died and nearly 15,000 additional soldiers have been wounded, which means 70% of the deaths and nearly 80% of the injuries in Afghanistan have occurred under Obama’s watch. (Note 8 years under Bush, 3.75 under Obama)
Old January 2, 2013, 09:36 PM   #12
dbaum

why do you need an ar?
Old January 2, 2013, 09:41 PM   #13
dbaum

Target shooting?or shooting pigs out of a helacopter?or preteneding ur in some kinda war?grow up.the zombies aint comin.no hunter needs a 30 round magazine.all u AR guys live in a dream world.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:50 PM   #14
dbaum

Anyone give me one legit reason to own a 30 round mag.beyond the 2nd amend.anything.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:55 PM   #15
dbaum

yep
Old January 2, 2013, 10:01 PM   #16
globemaster3

And you need to work on your punctuation and spelling.

Isn't the 2A enough? We've already had the government put enough restrictions on guns already. Banning 30 round magazine will solve what in your world?

And you don't hear folks claiming the zombies are coming, so where are you pulling that from?

Good reasons... Because we can, 3 gun, pig hunting on the ground, and a nod to my feminine side, because it looks better.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:56 PM   #17
CTS

Anyone ever use SOTA Arms? They seem to have some uppers and some parts in stock, all they say is made in USA. I can't tell what brand their stuff is. And why are we feeding the trolls?
Old January 3, 2013, 11:03 AM   #18
lockedcj7

I'm beginning to see the hysteria die down already. Check out Armslist. There are plenty of dirtbags asking $3000 for $800 guns but I'm also starting to see prices come down a little.

I promise that the manufacturers are running 24/7 trying to meet demand. Even after the demand dies down, they'll still be running 24/7 in order to build up massive inventories like last time.

I'm still planning a build in 6.8 SPC for my son. He has an upper limb disability that virtually requires semi-autos with pistol grips. He is 9 y.o. now and I'm trying to make sure he will have a good option (not just a make-do option) for his first deer hunt.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:56 PM   #19
bbamericanb

Good luck with your build and I hope you get your son back in the field.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:25 PM   #20
CTS

PSA has 6.8 uppers ready to ship. That is the only uppers, or lowers or anything else they have but they haven't jacked their price any.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html
Old January 4, 2013, 11:07 PM   #21
raimius

Quote:
Anyone give me one legit reason to own a 30 round mag.beyond the 2nd amend.anything.
Personally? Competitions, plinking, home defense, and because it's the normal size for that type of rifle. Why would I go looking to buy a smaller than standard magazine, if I have no need for a reduced capacity?
Old January 4, 2013, 11:23 PM   #22
USMCGrunt

Quote:

Defense, competitions, deer hunting (yes, in ND, there is NO limit on the amount of ammo a magazine in a semi-auto can hold) or varmint hunting, range plinking fun, historical significance (can you say "Armalite waffle AR mags?) and yeah, the right to keep and bare arms shall NOT be infirnged.
So, now that you have your legit reasons to own a 30 round mag, can YOU give me one legit reason why you need to have a car bigger than a Yugo or Smart car? They will still get you from point A to point B, right? Why would you need a car that is capabible of doing over 55 MPH when it's a proven fact that excessive highway speeds kill? Also, where in the Constitution or Bill of Rights does it say that your right to keep and drive a Camero shall not be infringed? Hell, where does it say that your right to keep and ride a horse shall not be infirnged if you want to cite the old line of how they couldn't have seen horseless carraiges much less Big Foot when they were writting the Bill of Rights. So, got a good legit answer why you need a V8 yet???
Old January 4, 2013, 11:24 PM   #23
Marquezj16

Quote:
why do you need an ar?
I read a post by you saying you bought a M&P 15 Sport.

Why do you need an AR?
Old January 4, 2013, 11:25 PM   #24
Marquezj16

To the OP - buy on back order from shops that has not raised their price and be patient. Good luck.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:39 PM   #25
Chowder

Quote:
To the OP - buy on back order from shops that has not raised their price and be patient. Good luck.
^^ this.

Most of my parts are on order, hopefully by the end of the summer I have a complete AR lol.