The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 25, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
flahertyexpress

Build Your Own Gun Safe Would it Work?

Just a quick question for all of you out there. I am the marketing director for a fabrication company and my boss came to me with an idea he has. He would like to put together Gun Safe Kits. In essence our company would bend the metal, tack weld it install hinges etc... and the kit would include the locking mechanism, the sheetrock and insulation then the purchaser would finish the welding, sand, paint, install sheetrock and insulation, and install the locking mechanism. This would allow for us to buy a $2,000 - $4,000 safe at around $700. But we would have to put the labor into it. Any Thoughts???
Old January 25, 2011, 10:27 PM   #2
a1abdj

People with that have these types of skills already have the ability to build their own safes.

No offense to those in the metal fabrication business, but there is a bit more to the security of a safe than one might think. Without having a background in the safe manufacturing business, you'll probably be dealing with more headaches than it's worth.
Old January 26, 2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

don't be detered... I think the company is Missouri Storm Shelters that builds bolt together storm shelters... prefab pannels that are like ( for example ) 16" x 72" x 5/16" with like 1.5" flanges that bolt together so you can build a room out of panels that 2 people could carry into an existing home ( bolts are all easily accessable from the inside, & holes are all pre-punched )... if I didn't already have "bigger plans" I'd have my local steel fabricator buddy build me one...

I think it's a very good idea... a basic kit (s) that would fit in a couple different basic closet sizes... I say go for it
Old January 26, 2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

It might allow people to configure safes for the space available.
And larger safes might be impossible to get into a house or the room desired. Coming in parts would allow putting almost anywhere.
I see possibilities for the idea.
Old January 26, 2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

this is another company I ran across when I was looking into this type of thing...

http://www.usstormshelters.com/sr_more.html

my thoughts here, was having my buddy build this, stamping square holes, & using caraige bolts with the round heads out, & the nuts inside
Old January 26, 2011, 09:54 AM   #6
a1abdj

Quote:
It might allow people to configure safes for the space available.
And larger safes might be impossible to get into a house or the room desired. Coming in parts would allow putting almost anywhere.
I see possibilities for the idea.
You would weld a safe inside of your home?

He wasn't talking about finished modular units like several other companies already make. He was talking about a unit that was tack welded together for the end user to finish welding and painting.

I also see a few liability issues.
Old January 26, 2011, 06:07 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

There is a safe company out there that sells a do it yourself safe. It comes shipped in several flat boxes and you bolt the thing together your self. The name escapes me right now but do a google search.
Good idea, if you can fab a safe with out welding that would be even better.

What about a safe style door for a secure room?
Old January 26, 2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
You would weld a safe inside of your home?
+1. A safe you had to weld yourself is going to have a pretty small market.
Old January 29, 2011, 11:26 PM   #9
dwwhite

I think I have to agree with all those who have expressed concerns about the welding aspect of it. There really aren't all that many folks out there with the proper skill set and equipment to do a quality job of assembly. Does your company really want to stake your reputation on the welding and finishing skills of the average guy with a crackerbox in the garage?

Now the bolt together idea has merit, especially if you could come up with a design that featured interior fasteners, so that nothing was exposed. I do think that I might want to market them as secure gun cabinets rather than safes, again, because you're reliant on the assembly skills of the end user.
Old February 7, 2011, 06:42 PM   #10
boogity8k

try a zanotti armor gun safe

Tags
build your own gun safe , gun safe , gun safes , guns