The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2016, 06:11 PM   #1
sig220mwxxxx

what case tumbler?

I have had a few case tumblers over the years. The one that lasted the longest was a Midway brand that lasted about 13 years and of course is no longer available. It was replaced with a Frankford Arsenal that lasted only about 3 years. The latest was a Hornady that lasted about 5 years. Any suggestions? These things get higher every year.
Old September 17, 2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Steve in PA

I have two Lyman tumblers. My first Lyman lasted over 20 years.
Old September 17, 2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Lots of folks have switched from vibratory to we tumbling with stainless steel pin media. Search up a few posts and you will be amazed by how much better it cleans. It has the advantage, when using citric acid cleaner, of chelating some of the lead compounds in the primer residue that wind up as breathable toxic dust in a vibratory tumbler.

That said, if you still want to use a vibratory tumbler, shop on line for a commercial grade version. They are sold for jewelry and part deburring and finishing. They cost a lot more, but will last. One is likely to last a lifetime. There are some on eBay for tighter budgets, but they are made overseas and I have no clue about their relative quality.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 18, 2016, 01:59 PM   #4
sig220mwxxxx

Thanks for the response. I was mistaken earlier when I said 13 years. The Midway tumbler I had lasted a little over 17 years. It was used extensively too. I know about the wet tumblers with the steel cylindrical pins. I have a friend that has one and yes the dry vibratory is enough for me. Thanks again.
Old September 18, 2016, 02:35 PM   #5
308Loader

+1 for the lyman tumbler. Got one for 50$ 3 years ago still running like a champ. Vibe tumble can take longer than ss wet tumble. but add in the drying time for wet tumble, might as well let the vibe go all night with some walnut and load in the am. As for the dust, I tumble outside only. gentle breeze takes the dust out to the lawn not in my house.
Old September 19, 2016, 05:56 AM   #6
flashhole

Give the Lyman 2200 a serious look (not the 1200). It's been a solid work horse for me for several years.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 19, 2016, 07:55 PM   #7
LE-28

The only complaint I've read about wet pin tumblers(I don't use one) is that they clean the cases too clean and the brass will pick up (gauld) even with carbide dies. They say case lube will take care of that.

I use a home made rotary that is pretty aggressive and use it with worn out wallnut. I haven't changed the wallnut in almost two decades. It still is polishing them to look like new condition in only a few hours. It's 25+ years old and still going strong.

If you got 17 years out of your Midway vibratory tumbler you may want to consider staying with that brand. That really good for any tumbler.
Old September 20, 2016, 12:01 AM   #8
TimW77

Have had a Lyman 600 with a 1200 bowl since the early 1980's and a 1200 since the early 1990's...

Still have both and both still working great...

T.
Old September 24, 2016, 09:01 AM   #9
BigCheese

Preventing galling

In response to LE-28, galling after wet tumbling can be prevented by a final soak of the cleaned brass in a solution of 2 oz. per gallon of Armor-All. Drain the cases and lay out on a towel to dry. This should be done even if Armor-All is used as the cleaning agent.
Old September 24, 2016, 10:53 PM   #10
Ben Dover

Thumler's model "B."

Been using the same one for 30 years.

I wet tumble with warm (not hot) water, a dash of Tide, and a tiny pinch of Lemi-shine.

Cases come out beautiful after 20-25 minutes. Never felt the need for the steel pins.
Never had to lube straight wall pistol cases in carbide dies.

BTW, it works as well, or better, with corncobs as the vibrators.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 25, 2016, 09:22 AM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I have a Harbor Freight vibratory that I have been using for a few years. It works as well as any of them out there. I use a mix of Lyman Tough Nut red walnut with Harbor Freight fine walnut shell media. It gets cases clean in a couple of hours. I have done over 500 pounds of brass with it in the last 3 months. It works just fine. Have a couple of washers handy. I put two washers on top of the stem under the lid, and it keeps the motor from twisting the bowl loose.
Old September 25, 2016, 10:51 AM   #12
firewrench044

I agree with BEN DOVER

I load for my son and granddaughter, they shoot IDPA
and I shoot High Power Rifle
I have cleaned thousands and thousands of cases with a
SS pin tumbler and sized with a carbide die and had
NO Gaulding and NO problems

I highly recommend SS pin tumbling
( I use a Thumblers Tumbler-B )
( I will NOT go back to vibrating tumblers )

I do NOT recommend the RCBS vibratory tumbler
I went through 5 in 6 years ( all Warranty but what a PITA )
Old September 25, 2016, 12:15 PM   #13
Don P

Quote:
Any suggestions? These things get higher every year.
Lyman's 2500 Pro magnum case tumbler from Brownell's. I say Brownell's because of their LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTY. It may cost a few bucks more but money well spent in my opinion. Price $84.95 can clean 1,000 38spl cases
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.