The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 30, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Gunfiche Film.

All,

Does anyone have a copy of the last Gunfiche parts catalog films that were produced, that they might want to sell? I still use mine a lot, but was wanting to find a set of the last they produced. I would also be interested in some that may have parts catalogs that were discontinued in the later ones too.

Also, I have a microfiche reader for sale, if anyone is interested, that I used with Gunfiche. I bought one with a dual magnification switch, as my eyes are getting bad as I get older, and the one for sale is a single magnification. The mag. can be changed, but you have to manually swap the lenses out. Right now, it shows almost a full 8-1/2" x 11" page, and that was too small for my eyes, without using glasses. You would have to buy a 17 mm to 15 mm lens to get a higher mag..

PS: I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but this is only gunsmith related.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
g.willikers

Once upon a time I had a microfiche reader for auto parts.
Gave it away decades ago, though.
Can you use your computer and a scanner to see the films better?
That way the images can be zoomed in and out a lot more.
Just a thought.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks,

Yes, I've thought of trying this, but I purchased a lens for the last viewer to upgrade it magnification side, so I can now see it better. Though I still have the other viewer.

I was hoping some may still have some of these films for sale, as they seem to be as rare as hens teeth now. I like them because I can look at at an entire gun parts catalog within seconds, and find the page I want. I have all the major brands like Winchester, Remington, Browning, etc., but was hoping to find the latest set made, or earlier versions that may have been dropped. It about takes one who had a shop in the 1980's or before to have these left.