The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Newton24b

forcing cone stress

heres my question, i know its not the most practical thing but, in articles concerning the old reverse loaded hollowbase bullet, its claimed that the reverse loaded hollowbase wadcutter will create to much pressure on the FORCING CONE and over time cause so much stress upon the gun, that the forcing cone will fail, and some how blow out the barrel.

now, if the reverse loaded hollowbase wadcutter has teh same profile as a regular loaded wadcutter, why doesnt the regular loaded, or double ended wadcutter, destroy the gun?
Old January 9, 2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

This is the first I've heard of lead bullets loaded reversed damaging a forcing cone.
Obviously, since cones don't have a problem with wad cutters and will last about forever when shot with them, the idea that a reversed bullet will damage the barrel is false.

What damages forcing cones is primarily shooting the hot loaded lighter jacketed bullets, or heavy overloads of even heavy jacketed bullets.
Unless you're using gas checks, it's almost impossible to push a lead bullet fast enough to damage the cone.

It's possible the idea of reversed lead bullets cracking the cone comes from people allowing the lead bullets to foul the cone, then they start shooting hot jacketed bullets.
Most of the S&W Model 19 revolvers that showed up with cracked forcing cones were not cleaned and had cones heavily fouled with carbon and bullet metal.
Old January 10, 2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
This is the first I've heard of lead bullets loaded reversed damaging a forcing cone.
Obviously, since cones don't have a problem with wad cutters and will last about forever when shot with them, the idea that a reversed bullet will damage the barrel is false.

What damages forcing cones is primarily shooting the hot loaded lighter jacketed bullets, or heavy overloads of even heavy jacketed bullets.
Unless you're using gas checks, it's almost impossible to push a lead bullet fast enough to damage the cone.

It's possible the idea of reversed lead bullets cracking the cone comes from people allowing the lead bullets to foul the cone, then they start shooting hot jacketed bullets.
Most of the S&W Model 19 revolvers that showed up with cracked forcing cones were not cleaned and had cones heavily fouled with carbon and bullet metal.
To me, that makes sense.

Quote:
the old reverse loaded hollowbase bullet, its claimed that the reverse loaded hollowbase wadcutter will create to much pressure on the FORCING CONE and over time cause so much stress upon the gun, that the forcing cone will fail, and some how blow out the barrel.
Are you talking hand loader's? I think your statement does have some validity.

TBS the hallow base (loaded correct) has a small hemisphere causing a vortex that can hold the unburned powder past the forcing cone. LOL, I'm just rolling the dice on this one.
Old January 10, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Newton24b

the buildup does make sense, but if the damage is only caused by massive buildup of residue, then why can so many people shoot hundreds of rounds of both without a single issue?
Old January 10, 2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The "K" frame cracked forcing cones were not all heavily fouled.
Some just crack, but the single common factor seems to be shooting hot 125 grain Magnum loads in a "K" frame.

The "K" frame has a flat on the bottom of the barrel to allow the cylinder yoke to clear and that seems to weaken the cone.
The ultra hot powder driving the light bullet at high velocity hits the cone hard and the super heated powder erodes the metal.
What seems to happen is basically metal fatigue. The combination of hot, erosive gas and the impact of a light jacketed bullet just hammers the cone and work hardened it until the stresses crack or break it.

Other than that, billions of rounds of flat faced wadcutter lead bullets have been fired, and I've never heard of a forcing cone cracking on Match revolvers.
Since a reversed bullet is pretty much the same as a flat face wadcutter, I don't see how just shooting them could damage the cone.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

Agree.
Denis
Old January 11, 2013, 07:44 PM   #7
jglsprings

Could you please cite your source for this internet rumor I would love to see it.

Commas save lives...