The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 29, 2008, 11:31 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

E-Bay is an evil, anti-firearm ownership empire. Buying or selling there financially supports the people who think you should not be allowed to own any firearm.
"...are the older RCBS presses better..." Nope. It's just auction fever. Talk to the people you shoot with. Lots of shooters upgrade to progressives and sell their old stuff. You need far more equipment than just a press though. Look into an RCBS Beginner's Kit. Gives you everything you need less dies and shell holder.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:44 AM   #27
MADISON

E-Bay Reloading Presses

$127 is to much for I see is an older RCBS JR press.
No more than $30 for a JR and $50 for a ROCK CHUCKER.
Go some place that sells used books and find a book with old reloading tools. That will help you identify what is available.
Old March 1, 2008, 08:46 PM   #28
Randy_che

Every time I list reloading stuff on eBay, I am asked what it would cost to ship it out of the country. Usually places in S. america and Europe, but sometimes Canada. Those folks are willing to pay full price for some things if they can't order them through traditional channels. It's just how it goes somtimes. Be thankful that you can just go down the street to Cabela's and get it for less. Not everyone in the world has that option.
Old March 1, 2008, 10:45 PM   #29
markr

I've only been bidding on things locally that I can pick up. I just missed out on some stuff that a guy had from his late father. He barely knew what the stuff was. It was a Uniflow powder measure with stand, RCBS scale, and some misc doo-dads for $43 bucks. The powder measure had a damaged hopper but it was RCBS, so the warranty still applies. I could probably just call and get one for free.

On another note, not only do I have a Cabela's nearby, but I just found out a Sportsmans Warehouse just opened nearby also!!

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 6, 2008, 09:49 AM   #30
markr

Last thing. I'm done.

I thought "What the hell" I'll give E-bay one more chance. So I bid on a set of barely/never used Lee dies for .454 Casull, from a guy nearby. No shipping needed. Cabela's has them for $24, and shipping would be like 4 bucks. $28 Bucks.

So I placed a max bid of $20.

They went for $27, not including shipping.

Most of the people who buy reloading stuff on E-Bay must not bother looking around, or are more concerened with "Winning". Same concept as going to the Carnival and spending $10 to "Win" a .$50 stuffed animal.

Bye Bye E-bay...........bye bye now.........

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 6, 2008, 10:05 AM   #31
Linear Thinker

In over 10 years of Ebaying, I watched the place go from a source of bargains to a bazaar of overpriced junk.
I haven't seen a bargain on Ebay in a few years.
Check out the price of older lead molds - the stuff that sells at gun shows for $10 goes for $100 on Ebay.

A whole fraud industry has grown around it as well.
A good friend was taken for $1000, when he bid on a fancy scope from a good-feedback seller in Europe.
Turned out to be a hijacked account, and the $$ disappeared.
Never, ever pay by Western Union.
LT
Old March 6, 2008, 10:56 AM   #32
Thirties

The death of eBay is now beginning with their new feedback rules . . . some folks really know how to spoil a good thing.

Evolution of eBay (according to me)...

* Once a fabulous resource for buyers and sellers

* Then it became a sellers' market

* Now the final spike is the break-down of the once-brilliant feedback

Executive summary: They have eliminated the integrity of the feedback system. This was the glue which kept the place honest. Believe me, there are folks who are rubbing their hands over these new rules. Read below...

Feedback Changes
The eBay Feedback system was designed to provide a simple, honest, accurate record of member experiences. Focusing on customer service includes doing everything we can to grow customer confidence in our sellers.

* Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.
* Positive repeat customer Feedback will count (up to 1 Feedback from the same buyer per week.)
* Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage.
* When a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) process the negative or neutral Feedback they have left for that transaction will be removed.
* When a member is suspended, all their negative and neutral Feedback will be removed.
* Buyers must wait 3 days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for sellers with an established track record, to encourage communication.
* All Feedback must be left within 60 days (compared to 90 days today) of listing end to encourage timely Feedback and discourage abuse.
* Buyers will be held more accountable when sellers report an unpaid item or commit other policy violations.
Old March 6, 2008, 05:52 PM   #33
Wrascal

I look at the feedback system a little bit differently. Utterly Over inflated and therefore no longer helpful.
It's almost impossible to find anything other than glowing reports on every single transaction!

Once my money has been received the seller should post that I've met my part of the transaction. Instead they typically wait to ensure they get a fantastic atta-boy feedback rating before posting that I was an A+ buyer.

HEY I've concluded my part of this business and now have to cross my fingers and hope you can ship it out - whenever you get around to it. It has sometimes been weeks before I get my items and can accurately post my eval of you. (Items should ship the day following when the money was received. Oops, wrong forum).

I agree with eBay, it needed to be re-shifted to favor the buyers.
Idiots overbidding for items are entitled to the merchandise. I'll be patent and /or shop commercially.