The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2002, 08:05 PM   #1
Greg Bell

New to shotguns...need defense load recomendations for Super 90

Gents,

I just bought a Benelli M1S90 "Tactical." I am going to use it to replace my AK for "room broom" anti-home invader duty. I want to use the most effective manstopper that is availible and trustworthy.

GHB
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old July 27, 2002, 08:22 PM   #2
popnokick

Many LE depts. use #4 buck (not bird) shot. Yes, 00 and 000 buck are the legendary shotgun load, but they and other large pellet buckshot penetrate doors and walls. If that's what you're trying to do, fine. But #4 is less likely to do that, yet still can remove major appendages at typical HD ranges. Also gives you more pellets per shell, and in the right SG patterns well at HD ranges. In any case, test what you want to use against a whiteboard on the range to determine patterning with your gun.
Old July 28, 2002, 12:03 AM   #3
Blast

I agree with popnokick, and Erick has good advice
Old July 31, 2002, 07:57 AM   #4
dfaugh

I keep

my Mossberg loaded w Sellier and Belliot, 15 pellet 00 buck...Now in my lightweight pump gun, the recoil is pretty (OK VERY) stout..Also I seem to get alot more "spread" with these than others have reporting...Once again, pattern the gun with different loads, see what works best for your intended use..

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 31, 2002, 01:29 PM   #5
Mo_Zam_Beek

Agree with Erik

My 2cents - the one that patterns best - ie - you gotta pattern your gun
Old July 31, 2002, 02:12 PM   #6
blikbok

Gotta chime in agreement.

Research, and test. Test patterning, recoil, reliability, penetration. You'll also get to know your shotgun better and develop confidence in the gun, ammo, and yourself through live fire.

The Benelli isn't a cheap shotgun. What fraction of it's cost is a few dozen rounds of each kind of buckshot?
Old July 31, 2002, 02:24 PM   #7
rennaissancemann

My two cents...

I agree completely with the advice about testing different loads to find out which one your shotgun likes the best. When you begin your pattern testing, give #1 Buck a chance. This load offers the greatest surface area per pellet count of the defensive loads, but having said that... what patterns best in your shotgun will be the load of choice,

Cheers

"The most difficult thing about planning against the Americans, is that they do not read their own doctrine, and they would feel no particular obligtion to follow it if they did." - Admiral Sergei I. Gorshkov

"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn in this life that we tend to meet any situation by reorganizing. And a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization." - Attributed to Petronius Arbiter, circa 60 A.D
Old July 31, 2002, 03:33 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

Erick right.
Pattern to find out what does well with that particular gun.

Practice, practice.

At inside the home distances you dealin with a large bore rifle. Don't count on spread to make up for poor aim.

Sam
Old July 31, 2002, 04:40 PM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The main consideration for me is my engagement zones. My house will not contain buckshot or slugs. Likewise, my neighbors homes won't stop them either. On three sides of my home are neighbors. The fourth side I could use a 105mm howitzer with no concerns.

For me, with close engagement ranges, # 2 birdshot is my first up loads. Usually two in the magazine. Sidesaddle has four #4 buck, two slugs.

Think about your situation and plan things on a worst case scerario - like missing. Bad guys have the ability to move when threatened - plan accordingly.
Old August 1, 2002, 05:40 AM   #10
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Erick,

The two houses to my left and right are about 20 feet from exterior wall to exterior wall.

The three across the street (if you were looking out my front door) are, from left to right, 50 yards, 40 yards, 60 yards.

Exterior on my house is masonite, studs are 2x4, interior is drywall.

Exterior on three neighbor's homes are the same as mine. One neighbor has T-111 siding, one has vinyl. Most new construction here is vinyl siding.

HTH