The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 12, 2011, 10:03 AM   #51
kflo01

I carry at the 3:00 to 3:30 75% of the time. It feels very natural for me walking and drawing. Any further back behind 3:30 is hard for me to reach and get a good clean draw because my shoulders are very muscular.
I LOVE AIWB. The draw seems very fuild, very fast and natural but you cannot sit down like that. Plus I kind of dont like the idea of have a gun pointed at my junk get my drift? But I do AIWB if I am not going to be sitting for long periods of time.
Old May 12, 2011, 02:54 PM   #52
kflo01

i have that same uncle mike's. I put my Glock 30 in it. Yes you need a good belt with it but it stays in position if you tighten your belt enough. Plus it is so soft you barely feel it on you. You need to reholster with 2 hands. to keep the mouth of the holster open but I like it and it works just need a belt, a good belt tighten up tight and it works.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:25 PM   #53
justjim75

what position is it called if i carry my gun over my right kidney area with the butt facing left? i find this very comfortable in all positions even in the car and i draw it and click off the safety in one fluid motion. i use the 12 buck unkle mikes and my weapon is a full size double stack .45. i dont even know its there unless i have to pick up something off the ground or the bottom shelf at the grocery store when i have to make sure my t-shirt or polo doesnt ride up. why is printing such a concern? especially where open carrry is legal? the only thing i worry about is a thug taking my gun and i usually dont let strangers get that close unless i'm in a line or a crowd and i darn near have my hand on it or an elbow/forearm protecting it then. whats the first style of holster for me to look at for competition shooting? hopefully it's also a good rig for carry so i can practice drawing for both at once
Old May 14, 2011, 07:55 PM   #54
FireForged

I realized a long time ago that CCW is a negotiation between how I want to carry and what works for my body type in normal clothing.

In the summer I carry a smaller gun than I would like to but its a negotiation.

In the winter I carry what and how I want but wear a little heavier/longer jacket than I normally prefer but again, its a negotiation.

Body type is a big factor. I have a 43" chest and 36" waist @ 5'10. I am considered chunky by most and I dont conceal firearms easily. My decision on how to carry is based on trial and error in front of a large mirror. IWB carry for me is limited to a classic loop and tunnel holster worn in the 4 o'clock. I know alot of people consider loop and tunnel a outdated design but it works perfectly with my body type. It rides high and tight against my side, which is what I want. I dont really need a stiff belt because the holsters design is very forgiving.