The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2008, 06:17 AM   #1
ruger.john

pulling lead bullets

I need to pull about 500 lead bullets(SWC's) from .357 's. Has anyone used a press mounted puller for lead? All the manufacturers do not recommend it although Forster says maybe. Any comments.
Old March 3, 2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Grandpa Shooter

kinetic bullet puller of your choice, a steel plate about 6 x 6, a cup of coffee with a sipper lid, an hour of time, and some roses to fertilize. Oh and some tylenol for when you get up tomorrow, so you can lift your arm again.
Old March 3, 2008, 12:46 PM   #3
TexasSeaRay

Depends on whether or not you want to use those SWC's again. If so, a press-mounted puller isn't your best choice. A kinetic puller is, ala Grandpa.

Just out of curiosity, why are you having to pull 500 bullets?

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 3, 2008, 03:21 PM   #4
tom234

Collet pullers [press mounted] are easier to use but damage lead bullets when the collet clamps down on the bullet. They work better for jacketed bullets.
Old March 3, 2008, 03:33 PM   #5
ruger.john

pulling bullets

500 because my buddy cooked up a hot load and proceeded to load 500. When I heard the blast and then saw he could not eject the spent shells I butted in. I am not an expert but...... He doesn't care about the bullets-just melt em down and recast. Hammer pullers are too labor intensive. My idea is to get the best press puller for lead bullets.RCBS, Forster or Hornady? Which one?
Old March 3, 2008, 08:16 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

I've pulled 200 gr LRNFP, 45 colt bullets with a hornady cam-lock puller, with only cosmetic damage; they were completely reusable. I think the cam action of that puller allows you to get a consistent grip on the bullet every time, which keeps you from over-doing it "just to make sure".

Andy
Old March 4, 2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Sport45

Quote:
He doesn't care about the bullets-just melt em down and recast.
If that's the case the solution is easy. Just set up your press without a die. Place the round in the shell holder and raise it up to the top. Lay a pair of needle-nose pliers over the top of the press and use the wire cutter part to grab the bullet. Lower the ram, remove the case and dump the powder into a properly labeled suitable container for reuse. Repeat 499 times...

I checked on my Lee Challenger press and a .357 is just long enough to do this.
Old March 4, 2008, 12:35 PM   #8
tom234

Sport45 has a good idea. Collet bullet pullers need a good surface to grab hold of the bullet and SWC bullets generally are loaded with not much shoulder showing to work with.
Old March 4, 2008, 02:29 PM   #9
ruger.john

pulling bullets

Great idea! Will let you know how it works out.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Old March 5, 2008, 03:36 AM   #10
Hommbs

Why melt them down and go thru that hassle when the bullets are fine to reload if pulled neatly. The 38/357 SWC bullets usually stick out of the case quite a bit so a collet style might work, but it may not. If not a kinetic would work, but take a bit of labor to reclaim them bullets. I did the kinetic method for about 800 rounds of 45 ACP once. I just did it in small batches when I had free time.