The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 6, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Shadi Khalil

Surprised with a 10/22

Good afternoon all.

I was recently at the gun shop with the wife fondling my latest obsession, the 10/22. Well, today I came home and found the very model I had my eye on sitting in the bedroom. After showering the wife with thank you's and kisses, I spent a good two hours messing around with it. I had a chance to fire around 35 rounds; ten from the standard flush mag and 25 from the BX. All the rounds fired were sub sonic and there were no malfunctions, which I found to be very encouraging. Tomorrow, I'll have the chance to fire a few hundred rounds at all sorts of distances and really get a chance to see what the rifle can do.

The only things I'd like to add are a sling, some sort of optic and a different front sight. However, I can live with the gun staying just the way it is. Please feel free to share pics of your 10/22 and any mods or accessories you think are important. Here's some quick pics I snapped, I'll get some better ones up later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378485783326.jpg (78.3 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; September 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
2damnold4this

Sounds like your wife is looking out for you. Hope you enjoy the rifle!
Old September 6, 2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Erikbal

Re: Surprised with a 10/22

Nice, can't go wrong with the 10/22. My friend has one he bought in the mid to late 90's and still enjoys shooting it! Sounds like a pretty cool wife you've got there too!
Old September 6, 2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Pahoo

The fun, has begun !!!

Good choice in rifles and spouse. I often say that my wife, makes me look good. ....

As far as swivel studs, it's Unkle Mikes, all the way and you can get a stud that fits into the front barrel clamp. Same for the buttstock and again, Unkle Mike can help you. ...

As far as optics, many choices here, from RedDots, to low power scopes and heck, you can even add a laser to the mix ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 6, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old September 6, 2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Panfisher

I added a set of Williams Fire sights to mine as I absolutely hated the factory originals, made a ton of difference, much more shooter friendly (at least for me).
Old September 6, 2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Boomer58cal

Does your wife have a sister

All joking aside... I wouldn't even know where to start giving suggestions on modifications. With a 10/22 the sky's the limit.

What is your rifles intended use?

Boomer
Old September 6, 2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Panfisher

I fell partly into the bottomless pit of 10/22 mods some years back. I ended up returning it to more or less factory configuration with an e-bay synthetic factory 10/22 stock original barrell and the aforementioned Williams sites. Still have the A&B target barrel, and modified factory wood stock setting in a corner of my loading room.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

IMHO, every shooter needs a long gun chambered in .22LR in his or her stable. The Ruger 10/22, along with a few other models, fits into that slot quite well.

Congratulations and enjoy!
Old September 6, 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
loose_holster_dan

i was always a fan of this setup

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 6, 2013, 04:15 PM   #10
MarkCO

Dan, I had something like that as a kid, I think we called it a jungle gym.

Shadi, enjoy! The 10/22 is like a small block Chevy...lots of things to do to it and have fun, but the original is plenty good. I have the same model with a Volquartsen trigger and fiber optic sights that I use for Irons division in Rimfire Challenge.
Old September 7, 2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Omaha-BeenGlockin

OP---curious as to if the front sight on yours is silver or was it just how the light was caught by a black sight?

Every 10/22 I've ever seen the front sight is black but it appears silver in your photo.
-------Metallica
Old September 7, 2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Shadi Khalil

Thanks for the replies guys. The amount of aftermarket options are dizzying; there's even an endless amount of slings to choose from. If I do add an optic it will be a reflex sight, I don't think a full on scope is necessary. However, I will definitely be changing out the iron sights for something different and have found some really good options.

Omaha, you are correct, my sight body is the same color as the barrel with a gold bead.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Boomer58cal

I was just thinking, one thing I would definitely recommend is a trigger. They do wonders for 10-22. I've done a few trigger jobs on a couple of mine( my dad's a gunsmith so I have some experience), but mine were never as good as a Volquartsen trigger. Worth every penny.

If you ever want a new barrel check out a tactical solutions fluted bull. They're not ammo sensitive and are staggeringly accurate. They are also great at heat dissipation. I'm fired several hundred rounds consecutively with no change in POI.

Also, Stick with the Ruger mags. BX-1, BX-25 and BX25 x2. They're the best there is.

Enjoy happy shooting! Be careful you might catch the bug.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; September 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old September 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #14
10-96

Quote:
The amount of aftermarket options are dizzying
You got that right! I fought the urge to get a 10-22 for 20+ years, finally broke down and bought a used stainless 22" Sporter Delux or some such name- think it was only sold by Wally World. I nearly swallered my snuff when I really got to looking at all the aftermarket options!

In the end, all I went with was the Kidd buffer w/steel pin insert, Power Custom hammer and sear, and the Tech Sight AR styled peep sights. I only really need the rifle for sporter class 50m Running Target competition.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 7, 2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I bought a new 10/22 a few months back. Wasn't going to touch it as I already have a Clark Custom 77/22 that shoots tiny groups!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Well I do like good triggers so OK, I put a Timney trigger group in and while it is apart, may as well put in a after market extractor and bolt buffer -----------

Then ----------- Was reading about Fredderesen barrels on Rimfire Central and they were having an sale with no shipping/handling charges, so why not.

Well the bigger .920 fluted, 16.25" barrel needed a bigger barrel channel so found a used laminated Fajen stock which of course was tooooo long for the short barrel and was heavy and looked like a club with the huge fore end.

Cut three inches off the stock, add back about half that in a nice walnut fore end tip, route fingers grooves on each side of the barrel channel and there she sits, my Ain't go'in to touch it 10/22.

The new Leupold VX-I, 2X7X28 rimfire scope arrived yesterday, so it's time to test this barrel with some of my high end match ammo and see just how close it will shoot to the Clark Custom 77/22.

BE ware, these things can be an affliction with no cure.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old September 7, 2013, 08:48 PM   #16
4runnerman

I have 2 of them. One would be about 10 years ols,the other?? I would guess 30 or more. Both just keep shooting. I like shooting very small targets,so both are sporting a 24 power scope. Ya I know it's over kill,but man it's fun. You will have this one for years guy.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Shadi Khalil

I got chance to take it to an indoor range today and think I have a new obsession. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed shooting a gun so much. We shot at 25 yards and accuracy was impressive and easily achieved. Out of a mix of 350 Remington golden bullets, federal bulk and cci mini mags we had a grand total of zero malfunctions. I look forward to taking it out to the in laws farm where I can try out some rapid fire and long range shooting. The only thing I regret about the rifle is not getting one sooner.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:26 PM   #18
kymarkh

Hard to go wrong with a 10/22 - what a great gift!
Old September 8, 2013, 12:05 AM   #19
amd6547

I won't change a thing on my 10/22.
It was on Armslist two years ago, and turned out to be a like new 1968 model, in the original box...had a $59 price tag on it from Sears.
I had a cheap 4x rimfire scope laying around the house, so I put it on and went to the range.
At 80yds, I was shooting dime-sized 10 shot groups with blazer bulk. Consistently.
Nope, I won't change a thing on that walnut stocked beauty.

Last edited by amd6547; September 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old September 8, 2013, 12:54 AM   #20
Shadi Khalil

Amd,

Wow, that's an amazing find! I really like the look of the walnut and would not mind owning one some day. Thanks for posting.
Old September 8, 2013, 10:16 AM   #21
pete2

I have 3 10/22 rifles and I want at least 2 more. One is a heavy bbl with 4 to 12 scope and laminated stock. One std. carbine with Williams peep sight, one std with a Bushnell red dot TRS 25.
WANT one more with a 4X or 3-9X scope, and #5 will get some kind of black rifle treatment.
There is some good info on Rimfire Central, trigger jobs etc. you can do yourself.
Big fun for not much money!
Old September 8, 2013, 10:39 AM   #22
mxsailor803

Start by looking at rimfirecentral.com So much information over there. Those guys are master tinkers with the 10/22. I mean, a guy built a receiver out of brass just because lol.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:01 AM   #23
Pahoo

Tinkerer's dream !!!

If you like to tinker as I do, the 10/22, is calling your name and mine. ...

Recently bought a Dealer Exclusive SS with Tapered target barrel. I came in a Birch Sporter. Had a laminated thumbhole stock for standard barrel. I do like the T/H stocks to I channeled it out for the tapered barrel. Did one of my home-made trigger jobs, buffer, home made bolt release and bolt handle. Depending on what I'm shooting, I switch back and forth between a RedDot and cheap CenterPoint scope. Not much invested and great performance ..

Be Safe !!!
Old September 8, 2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Boomer58cal

Quote:
I have 2 of them. One would be about 10 years ols,the other?? I would guess 30 or more. Both just keep shooting. I likeshooting very small targets,so both are sporting a 24 power scope. Ya I know it's over kill,but manit's fun. You will have this one for years guy.
You're totally right on the just keeps shooting. My original 10/22 has 60,000+( stopped counting at 50,000 a few years ago) rounds through it. The original barrel still shot 4" groups at 100 yards with no rifling left in it. Straight smooth bore.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; September 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:53 AM   #25
ocharry

good deal and great wife!!!!

many changes can be made,,,good trigger should be first,, and the easy ones,,extended mag release and bolt release,,,maybe the new ones already have some of that stuff,,,but the lawyer trigger would have to go ,,lol

enjoy

HEY PANFISHER,,,that stuff you got sitting in the corner of your loading room,,,,,, if you want to get rid of it i may be interested....... well that is if you want to let it go????

ocharry