The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 18, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
WileyP

New Mexico State Parks concealed carry law - PLEASE WRITE!

From NRA-ILA:

"On Wednesday evening, the State Parks Division of the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department held a public hearing to take input on proposed amendments to Section 19.5.2.21 of the New Mexico Administrative Code, which includes a removal of the current ban on concealed handgun licensees carrying handguns in state parks. A representative from NRA-ILA testified in support of the rule change, along with several concealed handgun instructors from across the state. No one spoke in opposition to the proposal. The Department will continue to accept written comments on the measure until 5:00pm on October 31. Please send comments by email to [email protected] or by USPS to April Alvarado, EMNRD State Parks Division, 1220 S. St. Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505."
I wrote an e-mail and have no pride of authorship - You are welcome to use any or all of it. EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT OF NEW MEXICO, please take just a moment to plead out case. After all, you may wish to visit one of our wonderful parks one of these days! Thanks!

My e-mail:

"I love our New Mexico State Parks and the fine folks that run them. They are at one time beautiful, educational and recreational lands that we have every right to be proud of. However, my family and our out-of-state visitors do not visit them.

Why, you might ask, do we feel as we do about our parks and yet we do not buy annual passes and spend time there? For the same reason we do not attend theaters similar to the Century Theater in Aurora, Colorado, or go to restaurants that serve drinks other than wine or beer, or shop at many of the stores and large shopping centers in the state - Because the carrying of concealed firearms for protection of my family is forbidden either by law or by management proclamation and signage. We refuse to simply give up our right to protect ourselves. We refuse to become unarmed victims of people like James Holmes (the Century Theater shooter). We, as honest, law abiding citizens, refuse to give up our right to carry a firearm while criminals simply ignore the law and carry wherever they want.

Look seriously into the results of allowing concealed carry in other states, including our neighbors of Texas, Oklahoma and Arizona. You will find that contrary to sometimes vociferous opposition by a few radical anti-gun organizations, absolutely no violance from those legally permitted to carry concealed has resulted in state or national parks. None. Believe it or not, it is even legal in the state of Arizona for a concealed carry permit holder to carry while in a bar! Now, there was a great deal of opposition to the passage of that law, yet again there has been absolutely zero instances in Arizona where firearms carried legally into a bar have been involved.

All in all, those who have taken the time and effort to become licensed to carry concealed are among the most law abiding citizens in New Mexico. It is my belief that the state of New Mexico is not only restricting thousands of law abiding citizens from visiting the state parks, but losing revenue by so doing. Please consider the abolishment of the draconian and obsolete law restricting us from access.

Respectfully, "
Old October 19, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
SamNavy

Don't sell yourself short Wiley, that's a helluva letter... written in plain and simple language, with just enough emotion, and very to-the-point. NM is definitely on the right track, hopefully common sense prevails.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

You've misspelled the word "violence." I would also remove the adjective "draconian."

Beyond that, it's a very persuasive and (important!) well-structured letter.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:58 AM   #4
p loader

Bottom line up front, use bullet points. Clear and concise, no fluff.

That letter is probably well written (I scanned it, just like a busy staffer would who gets hundreds of letters per day) and makes some great points but it's way too long. Just my opinion...
Old October 22, 2012, 01:30 PM   #5
1-DAB

short email sent supporting this change.