The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 11, 1999, 03:58 PM   #1
Dave AA

It is .32acp, made by Mauser I believe, during the war. It badly needs a barrel, as the one in it now is pitted and the crown is in bad shape. I have no idea where to find one. any one else have an idea?
Old October 11, 1999, 06:33 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

DAVE AA
Gun Parts: 914-679-2417

HJN
Old October 12, 1999, 01:25 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Model 37 was not made by Mauser. It was made, before and during the war, by Gegyver es Gepyar in Budapest, Hungary. During the war, the Germans took over the plant and called it Metallwaren, Waffen-und Maschinen Fabrik AG, with the code "jhv". Most guns have that code and German inspection and acceptance stamps. It was a fairly common gun among German and Hungarian (Hungary was a German ally) officers.

Jim

Old October 12, 1999, 01:29 PM   #4
Dave AA

It is marked Mauser on the guns frame and holster. The holster is leather W/ a spare mag pouch. Maybe they did the inspection.
Old October 12, 1999, 03:38 PM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

DAVE AA
I am not personally familiar with the 37, however, if you could provide some description or other markings on the pistol maybe I can find it in the library. At this time I do not find a model 37 listed under mauser, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Is there an HS or HSc anywere on the pistol?
Does is say Mauser Obendorg? or just Mauser?
HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited October 12, 1999).]
Old October 12, 1999, 08:05 PM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

DAVEAA:
There is mention of a Mauser 1937-45 in the Illustrated Encyclopedia of handguns. It is identified as the Mauser HSc, by Mauser Werke AG, Oberndorf. I'm not sure if this is the gun of which you speak, however it is the only one that is identified as Mauser in that time frame.

Looking under Hungary, I find no mention of a Mauser, or a pistol that fits that description. It would be interesting to me to find out how the detemination was made that it was made in Hungary.

It is described as being generally siilar to the Walther PP with which it was intended to compete. The HSc-HS represents Hahn, Selbstspanner (hammer self cocking)and the 'c' signifies the third model.

The HSc was originally intended for sale commercially however, particularly after WWII began ins earnest, was widely favoured by the military. it was especially popular in the navy and the air force. Production stoppen in 1945, but the recommenced under French supersisio nbefore finally ceasin in 1946.

HJN
Old October 12, 1999, 10:50 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi folks,

Now I am really confused. The topic title is Hungarian Model 37, which is also called the Femaru. This is a single action pistol, with a somewhat odd dome shaped slide (as seen from the front) and two slide stop notches.

The safety is in the same position as on the Colt M1911A1. The hammmer has a small and low thumbpiece. The normal magazine has a finger extension. The gun takes down by pulling the slide to the first stop notch, at which point the barrel can be turned and removed. It has nothing in common with any Mauser product, although it is possible that Mauser may have owned one as a sample.

There is a picture of the Model 37 and some more information in the 1999 Standard Catalog of Forearms under "Femaru".

If this is not the gun in question, then we go back to the drawing board.

Gun Parts Corp. (914-679-2417) lists the Femaru but says barrels may not always be available. I suggest you call if the gun is the Model 37.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited October 13, 1999).]
Old October 12, 1999, 11:25 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

If GunParts doesn't have a barrel, there are gunsmiths who will reline the barrel for you and in doing so, cut a new crown.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old October 13, 1999, 12:13 AM   #9
Dave AA

Jim Keenan Described it perfectly. It does say Mauser and is stamped with "jhv" and has various eagle-over-swastica stamps, no "HS" or "HSc" though.

[This message has been edited by Dave AA (edited October 13, 1999).]
Old October 13, 1999, 12:46 AM   #10
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

DAVEAA
Hurray for our side. Possibly if all the markings would have been presented, the tangents would not have gone off so far. Tanks Jim for getting us all straight.

HJN
Old October 13, 1999, 05:56 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the Mauser marking was applied by that company, the gun could have been owned by Mauser. Gun companies always have a reference collection to use in design work, both to get ideas and avoid patent infringement. Of course, the gun may have been owned by some guy named Mauser; it's not an uncommon name.

Jim