The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 29, 2009, 06:00 PM   #26
N00b_Shooter

stonedog406, what reticle are you thinking about getting with your scope?

The problem with that deal is i could only get there Mil Dot Reticle and the Mil Radian Turrets. Though I heard you can change them later.

Yeah when i opened the box the scope was in there was a few booklets and once of them had a picture of the scope and the story about the Ak round, pretty crazy.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:42 PM   #27
stonedog406

I liked the idea of the illuminated reticle and when I looked through one, I really liked how it appeared. In my state, you can use illuminated reticles so it will allow me to use as a long range target shooter, and to hunt coyotes or pronghorn. That being said, I saw a NF locally at one of the hunting stores, and it had the illuminated mil dot set up. It appeared very clear and the glass was top quality. I am not sure if the mildot will be the way to go and am still weighing the other options. I believe they have about 4 types of reticles available on the model I was looking at. I have a bit of an advantage, as I have friends in Idaho, and plan on making a visit later this Spring, and stopping at the NF Factory. I really want to make the best decision since I will be forking out about $1500! I would be intersted in hearing others' opinions on the reticle selection if anyone would like to throw in on this conversation.

BTW-Don't hold me to this info, but I got word that the NF Reticles are etched in the glass so if that is the case, I don't know how you would change of the reticle after the fact? The glass in these scopes are hand matched (?) and it sounds like a lot of $$$ to make a change like this. (If my assumptions are wrong, I sure would like to be educated otherwise..)
Old March 29, 2009, 09:28 PM   #28
Gewehr98

I don't know where he gets off calling a 700P a dog...

It's a sub-MOA rifle, straight out of the box. That's not too shabby for a non-custom shop offering.

It has an aluminum bedding block system, which is very stable and consistent.

I've seen, and shot against many 700 Police model Remingtons in my day.

I was so impressed I bought one myself, and with my handloads, it's easily 1/2 MOA or better.

Putting a Nightforce or Leupold Mark IV on a 700P sounds like a perfect marriage to me, and I've got rifles that would put the 700P to shame.

If the gun's capable of that kind of accuracy, do you think it's wise to put a cheap Tasco or Leapers scope on it?

Neural Misfires
Old March 29, 2009, 10:47 PM   #29
gman3

I have a NightForce NXS on a Savage 10FCP with Badger steel rings and 20 MOA one piece base. Cost a lot of money, but it's good stuff. NPR2 reticle.
If you want to change the reticle, I think it's about $400.00 if my memory serves me right. There was a difference in the price of changing the reticle if its a first or second focal plane scope. BTW I also have a Leupold and like it a lot too.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:55 PM   #30
N00b_Shooter

I just looked at the NPR2 reticle and like it very much, i personally would have liked the MLR but as it was a special at the shop i could only get the Mil-Dot.

I'm not sure about this but do ALL NF NXS scopes have an illuminated reticle? I read it on another site but it was the only site i could find it on.
Old March 30, 2009, 03:09 PM   #31
gman3

Mine does . I'm not sure if they all do. Check their website.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/
Old March 30, 2009, 03:24 PM   #32
milky7272

just my .02 i have both ,but I have a NF(bench rest with lighted recticle) 3.5-15x56 ? if im recalling right and I have to say NIGHTFORCE ALL THE WAY just wish I could afford a couple more.
Old March 30, 2009, 05:59 PM   #33
thinkingman

Quote:
The son of someone I shoot smallbore rifle with at my club is in the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit). He says that his unit has recently switched over to Nightforce, as the Leupolds have not been holding up to the continued recoil of some of the more vicious rounds they shoot. I don't recall which guns/calibers it was, but I'm guessing 300 win mag? (I believe that is what they use when they require a little more oomph)
This is news?
BUT YOU'VE GOT THAT AWESOME WARRANTY!
Good choice on the Nightforce and putting glass ahead of the rifle.
Old March 30, 2009, 11:09 PM   #34
Singlesix1954

Get a Leopold...but not a rifleman!