The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2006, 11:28 AM   #1
steve4102

Sorting Brass by Weight??

I know this has been covered before and I don't want to debate "sorting" brass. I have decided that sorting my brass by weight is something I can do to keep me locked up in my loading room this winter. What I would like to know is "how do I group by weight"? I have a bunch of New 300WSM Winchester Brass that has been sized, trimmed and flash-hole deburred. It ranges from 215gr to 231gr. What percent, or how many grains, should I group from high to low within a batch?
Thanks
Old January 1, 2006, 01:10 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

bye weight

Good idea for extreme accuracy, so write directly on each case as they get weighed, then test.
Old January 1, 2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Bob - S.C.

I too, sort brass by weight. I have several small clear plastic tubs with lids and I mark the various weights on each tub using a blank address label. As I weigh the brass I just segregate, by weight, into each tub. It works pretty good and because they are clear, I can tell what is left in each one when loading. Granted, doing all that (yes, I sort bullets the same way, is very time consuming, but I think it definately improves accuracy. Good Luck!
Old January 2, 2006, 07:33 PM   #4
30Cal

Some people will use an arbitrary number like +/- 1.0grs. Personally, I'd find the two most extreme cases, shoot them along with some nominal cases and come up with a criteria that is actually meaningful.
Old January 2, 2006, 07:44 PM   #5
somerled

steve4102,

Some reloaders, when looking for extreme consistency, will determine the median, or mid point, weight of a particular lot of brass. Then they will sort out brass that doesn't come within one percent of the median weight. Some people do the same with bullets.