The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2004, 09:04 PM   #1
Guntec

Hogue Rubber Grips for 1911 - Palm swell or Plain Checkered?

I got a pair of the Hogue's rubber grips for my Norinco 1911. It has this palm swell and I'm not sure if I like it that much. It just feels odd in the palm but then again it's the first time I've used a grip with palm swell. It sure feels snuggly contoured for palm however. Just wondering what's the verdict with you guys. Would I get used to it in time? Also does it do anything to reduce recoil or help griping? Also is the standard Hogue checkered rubber grips thinner?
Old June 5, 2004, 10:39 PM   #2
Labuyo

Plain! I hate the feel of palm swell grips (no pun intended). I like Pachmyar (sp?) rubber grips than Hogue's. It feels really tacky when your hand start sweating. For a slim wood grip, I recommend Chip McCormick's. IIRC, its less than $30/pair.
Old June 6, 2004, 11:47 PM   #3
VaughnT

Honestly, I carried a S&W 686 with the palm swell grips for so long that the slabsided 1911 leaves me feeling a bit empty. Where'd you get yours? Have a part number? I'd love to give them a try.

As to fit, I'm not a big fan of finger groove grips on a 1911 because they usually leave me feeling like I'm holding a block instead of a finely crafted combat weapon. The sixshooter was a surprising exception. Might be something to do with the gripe frame's contours.

The best grip I've found, so far, for the 1911 is the VZ Gator Grips. These are very grippy and look good, and they are micarta. I love my two sets and can see more coming in the future as more 1911s are added to the stable.