The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2002, 04:33 PM   #1
VTR996

.357 stringing, how can I fix it?

I've tried some different loads with 158lswc @WS2's suggenstions with different weights of 231. Out of a 4" speed six .357, w/4.5gr it printed low & left eg; 4-5 o'clock stringing in a left to right line. W/5.0 gr 3 were low & left, 1 in the red, 2 about 1'' below. W/5.3 in printed all high eg; 1-2 o'clock. What should I try to get all 6 hitting in the same place? 5.0gr seems to be good for 3 outta 3 and not too harsh for target practice, should I just live with it? All shots were from a rest, single action.
Old April 29, 2002, 05:21 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

NEXT STEP

Increase your crimp slightly (using the Redding Profile Crimp die).

Try 5.1- and 5.2g.
Old April 29, 2002, 06:40 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Try other handed.
Then what WS2 says. He good.

Sam
Old April 29, 2002, 07:57 PM   #4
KP95DAO

Unless you have a totally crappy gun I would say it is the way you are shooting. I have best results off the rest when I support the gun with the portion of the frame just in front of the trigger guard. The rest of the gun, and your hands, should not be resting on anything. Your forearms are alright to rest on the bench.

You don't say what type of gun it is; but, my Ruger Blackhawk does not like lead bullets at all. No matter what size or how hard. However, with jacketed bullets it will still shoot sub one inch groups at 25 yds (cylinder full).
Old April 29, 2002, 11:02 PM   #5
topstrap

If they were all over the place then I'd say it might be the load... but usually stringing either vertically or horizontally is usually the fault of the shooter. It's something they are doing different after each shot, maybe not readjusting their grip to the same place after each shot or maybe gripping the gun tighter or lighter from shot to shot. There is a lot that affects the way a revolver shoots...

I disagree a bit with the way a revolver is shot from a rest. I like the long range shooting of the revolvers and my best luck is with the front rest a couple of inches in front of the cylinder and the base of the grip resting on the back bag with your hand wrapped lightly around the grip but making absolutely sure it's in the same position and tension with each shot. It's the same as a rifle, when you remove your hand from the grip the gun should be lined up perfectly and all you are doing is gripping the gun to control it after it goes off. Many will disagree with this but it's worked well for me.

Someone else mentioned the use of lead bullets, if they are swaged lead then they are very soft and you won't really have much luck with them, hard cast will usually do much better and in a 357 the hotter you run them the better the gun usually shoots. You didn't mention the distance you were shooting these groups.

But you are also dealing with a 4" barrel which isn't the easiest to shoot for getting high accuracy since the short sight radius makes it difficult to align the sights perfectly the same everytime. Usually lots of practice will help that....

Good luck, sounds like a few things are all adding up to the gun not performing as to your expectations.... need to make sure operator error is not the major factor first before moving on to the loads..
Old April 30, 2002, 03:47 PM   #6
Pigshooter

One thing I try and stress to people unfamiliar with revolvers (and I am not a very good shot myself) is in SA mode, get a firm grip, and cock it with your off-hand. That way you maintain a consistent grip.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:07 PM   #7
topstrap

Glad you mentioned that Pigshooter, hadn't thought to mention that but that is the way nearly all silhouette shooters cock their revolvers. The less you do to change anything conderning the grip is a tremendous help when shooting a revolver for accuracy... It's even surprising how the slighest pressure change in one finger tip touching the grip differently will change the point of impact.... Lots of factors affect them.... but when you get it figured out... they will really shoot.... waaaaay out there.