The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
highvel

Spooky Gut Pile

I have heard some hunters say that gut pile's do not disturb whitetails and they believe it doesn't effect hunting in the following few days.

My stand on it is that the critter activity that the entrails bring, with each critter leaving a sent that the whitetails will shy away from, does anyone have actual experiences that occurred near a gut pile that was positive or negative?

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 11, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
tahunua001

gut piles in most places with scavengers or coyotes will not last long. I've actually heard hunting stories of guys that had scavengers eat a gut pile, leave the undigested grass and later deer would come in and eat the pre chewed meals of their predecessors. never seen it but the guys that I heard it from weren't usually big into telling big fish stories.
Old November 12, 2011, 09:03 AM   #3
columbia_shotguneer

I hunt around gutpiles, atv's, candybars wrappers, etc. and found that I still see deer(if you have deer in the area). Deer are adapted to our foreverchanging environment filled with foreign objects and odors. I used to be so worried about my odors, habits, objects around that might spook deer and let me tell you I never noticed a substancial amount of difference in patterns. Enjoy your deer hunting without making it out to be a hassle, hope this helps.
Old November 12, 2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Shotgun693

Every where I've hunted the last 20 years, the hogs come eat the spoils up the minute I leave. BTW, I've never seen or found that hogs would eat another hog's gut pile.
Old November 12, 2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

I don't like leaving the gut piles in the woods if I can help it. Coyotes being the biggest reason.
Old November 12, 2011, 08:23 PM   #6
bacardisteve

I leave the gut pile then come back later to hunt the coyotes it attracts.
Old November 13, 2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Pahoo

Happiness is a warm Gut-Pile

We routinely drive areas where we have left gut-piles, the previous day. Not a problem as the deer move back in, overnight. That next day, we may see what's left of a gun-pile and as previously posted, they will be gone, in a couple of days. Even the blood seems to disappear....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 13, 2011, 02:40 PM   #8
upstate81

Gut pile hunting is like a box of chocolates ya never know what yer gonna get!
Old November 13, 2011, 09:49 PM   #9
BIG P

I've never seen where a gut pile brothered other deer at all.I've had deer walk by g-piles with the buzzards doing theyer job & other dead deer laying there also.It also makes coyote bait no problem here
Old November 14, 2011, 05:18 PM   #10
mwal

On Saturday MY buddy got a doe he dropped it in its track. He had 16 other deer walk near it and none of them spooked they kept on feeding. He gutted where it dropped and he saw a couple more deer feed within 20ft of the pile the next day. So no I don't think it freaks them out.

Mwal
Old November 14, 2011, 09:38 PM   #11
Deja vu

I bury the guts but that is because about 75% of the deer I shoot are in my back yard. I don't want that mess there when the kids go out and play.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 14, 2011, 10:12 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

It does not freak them out. As for the other animals it attracts, you have to understand that deer, bobcats, coyotes, rabbits, turkeys, etc. are crossing paths all day long and time and time again.
Old November 14, 2011, 10:20 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

I've shot 3 Antelope within 25 yards of fresh gut piles. They had all the room in the world to avoid the piles... but they preferred to stay on the "super highway" game trails.
Care about the gut piles, they did not.