The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Deja vu

Looking for a specific 45/70 load.

I have been reloading a 45/70 for a few years now. I am now looking or making some "special" ammo.

I have been loading a Hornady 500grn bullet at about 1400FPS, it requires a Candlureing (sp?) tool because the candlure is too low for a marlin and would make the bullet much to long for the lever action.

What I am looking for is a load that does about 1000FPS (+ or - 50 fps) with the same 500 grain bullets. I looked up my current load but the minimum load is still about 1250 FPS so its too fast. My curent powder for my load is AA 5477 but I am very happy to switch.

The reason I want this is I have just filled out the paper work for a suppressor for my marlin 1895SBL and paid for the suppressor which I can probably pick up in July or August if things go well. The gun is being threaded as we speak and should be done in about 30 days (+ shipping).

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 8, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
kraigwy

28 grns of 4198 is my "smokeless" practice load for my Browning 1895. It shoots the same as my black powder load, right around 1100 fps. Mild shooting and I don't have to get anal with the cleaning like I do shooting Black Powder.

I shoot cast bullest but have shot some Jacket FMJ just because I had a box.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
totaldla

I'm thinking that you might want a pistol powder to do that velocity. Take a look at the following to get some ideas as they have done extensive testing.

Low Velocity Load Data
Old February 8, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Scharfschuetzer

I was going to suggest a cast lead bullet of 500 grains, but then read that you want to use it with a suppressor. Jacketed should be best with that approach as you don't want wax or alox lubricants building up in the baffles.

Spot on with staying subsonic at 1,000 fps. That does change due to altitude and air density. I generally consider 1,100 fps about the speed of sound on an average day, but that will increase with gains in elevation and temperature. That estra 100 fps might give you a little more power and still stay subsonic. I say that as that was about the best velocity level with a suppressed 30 cal rifle that I loaded for before getting a supersonic "crack." Subsonic or standard velocity .22 RF is also usually rated at 1,100 fps.

I can't recommend loads though, as most of my 45/70 data is for cast bullets in Trapdoor Springfields. I did once load the 500 grain Hornady SP that you've chosen for a Winchester Highwall replica in 45/70 for a friend for a bufallo hunt. He reported that it poleaxed a big bull at two hundred yards with a single shot. That load used a full case of 3031 as I recall and was way faster than what you are looking for. I didn't have to worry about crimping that load either as it was used in a single shot. I just loaded the bullet short of the rifling for accuracy.

I have seen canuluring (sp?) tools in advertisments over the years. They seem to be a specialty product and I've never used one. Seems like I've seen the adds for them in the back of the American Rifleman.

Here is a link for Russ Hayden's Shooting Supply. He has some pretty esoteric reloading supplies and may be able to help you.

http://www.shooters-supply.com/

Good luck and let us know what works best in your Marlin at your velocity levels.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; February 8, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Edward429451

Corbin makes a Hand Cannelure Tool (HCT). It works good but I do recommend getting an extra wheel for it.
Old February 9, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
hornetguy

I agree with the faster burning powder idea. While I don't shoot a 500gr bullet, I do shoot a 405gr bullet, and I use 15.0gr of Unique, which doesn't take up much room in the case at all. I am getting about 1200 fps or so with this load. I imagine you should be able to tune a load with Unique to achieve what you want.
While some people recommend using some type of filler in low volume loads, I don't use any with my load, and have had no problems whatsoever. I get very consistent velocities, and great accuracy... almost one hole at 50yds, and 1 to 1 1/2" at 100yds.
Old February 9, 2012, 10:24 PM   #7
B.L.E.

I have had good luck with Trail Boss for light .45-70 loads. It's a fast burning pistol powder that's engineered to take up maximum space with powder grains that resemble tiny Cheerio's breakfast cereal. Fifteen grains nearly fills a .45-70 case full.
Any non-compressed load is supposed to be safe in a centerfire rifle case, even with jacketed bullets.