The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1
LordTio3

Where are the .40S&W 1911's?

Okay, everyone knows the .45ACP 1911 is arguably the most recognizable modern pistol in the world.

There are .45acp, 9mm, .38 Super, 10mm, even .22lr versions. But for any other platform of semi-auto handgun, there seems to be a place for the .40S&W to squeeze in. Why not in the 1911? I've seen EMP's in .40, and a racegun chambered for it, but there is scarcely a time I've found a full-sized proper 1911 in .40.

Why is that? And is this a market rife for capitalization?

~LT
Old April 1, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2
BigJimP

Wilson Combat will make most of their models in .40S&W ....but from talking to the guys at Wilson - I think its way less than 10% of their production.

I picked up a lightly used Wilson CQB 5" model chambered in .40S&W about 3 yrs ago for around $ 1,600 ....and there isn't a thing wrong with it ...but honestly I don't shoot it that much. I have other .40S&W's / all Sigs - a 239, a 226 and an X-Five ...and they're all good guns as well ( not 1911 trigger good ) but pretty good...and I don't shoot them as much either ...

I have a pair of Wilson's - one in 9mm and one in .45 acp ...and 90% of the time, those are the 2 guns I take to the range ( shoot the 9mm 75% of the time / the .45 acp the other 25% ). I reload the 9mm for under $5 for a box of 50 ...so its cheap practice .../ my reloads in .40S&W are around $ 7 a box / and my .45 acp about $ 9 a box ...so it may not be rational / but I just don't shoot the .40's too much ...

I'm not sorry I bought the .40's I have / but they just kind of get left out often... Balistically its an in-between caliber .../and if I want to carry a full sized 1911 - I always reach for my Wilson CQB 5" in .45 acp / never the one chambered in .40S&W ...maybe its habit for me .....but the market for 1911's in .40S&W just isn't that strong.
Old April 1, 2011, 11:52 AM   #3
zombieslayer

I love the .40s&w round. And I love 1911's. But I've never found anything of personal interest except the EMP. I did find an STI at a gunshow in .40, but was totally NOT impressed by the feel or look of it.
Old April 1, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4
jmr40

I've seen some 1911's chambered in 40, but I doubt there is much of a market for such a gun. Gunmakers aren't going to make something if they aren't going to sell enough to make a profit.
Old April 1, 2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Hunter Customs

Colt made a run of MKIV 1911A1's in 40S&W caliber, it seems I heard it said 500 were made.
I happen to have one in my gun safe.

Why there's not a bigger following for the 1911 in 40S&W I don't know, maybe it's because those wanting a 40 cal gun move on up to the 10mm.

I know I've never had one customer request a 40S&W single stack gun, but I've had several request for the 10mm single stack guns.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 1, 2011, 12:57 PM   #6
overkill0084

Because you can already get it the caliber it was designed for, .45acp.
.38 super is fairly rare these days. 9mm I can see for compact carry versions (esoteric race gun applications not withstanding). The .40 is in it's element with smaller framed semis as an upgrade from the 9mm. There isn't really the same need with the 1911 platform. It's not like it's an improvement over the .45acp. The .40 caliber option for the 1911 platform is the 10mm. The 10mm rocks, but it's not exactly the most common ammo out there and it's pricey.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old April 1, 2011, 02:33 PM   #7
gak

Add me to those that are befuddled. I'll buy the "'cause folks are getting/prefer the .45 in that platform..." argument, but 9mm 1911 applications are oddly fairly (or at least much more) common than .40, and I have a much harder time buying that (9) application in the 1911 format than the .40. The sole reason to have a 9 IMO--beyond its obvious "shootability" of the 9mm in general (ie in any platform)--is the smaller frame/hi-capacity applications it so excels in. I understand the "...folks move on to the 10mm" argument as well, except for the much inferior ammo availability issue. .40 is always available including, as many pointed out, during the ammo crunch 12-18 months ago when everything else--including .45--was absent on the shelves.
Old April 1, 2011, 02:34 PM   #8
45Gunner

My favorite all time gun is my Kimber Stainless Pro Carry chambered in .45 ACP. Wasn't too fond of the rubber hand grips so changed them out for some nice wood grips from Fusion, added some night sights from Kimber, and a drop in front strap checkering kit from Wilson Combat.

One day, while cruising this very forum, I found a local guy that had a nearly new Kimber Stainless Pro Carry chambered in .40 S & W. I few exchanges of email and then a few phone calls; the deal was made. I now have a very near identical twin of the original except it presents the snappy .40 S & W round. Like its big brother, it is very accurate and has never failed me.
NRA Life Member