The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 3, 2010, 04:34 AM   #1
bamaranger

bamaboys first buck...way out there!!!!!!!!

Sunday, 31Jan was Alabama's last day of deer season. I snatched my 14 year old from uptown after church and we beat it out to a shooting house overlooking a R.O.W. where I have been seeing deer lately. He had not killed a deer this year, and we had not got to hunt together as much as we have in years past.

We had two rifles, him carrying a Ruger 77-II in 7.62x39 w/Leu 2x7, and me w/ a Savage 110, .243, Leu w/3x9. My thought was that he could shoot the x39 to 150 yds , and the .243 on out. I had zeroed the .243 at 2" high at 100 w/ Rem 100 gr PSP's. A special note was the .243 had belonged to my Dad prior his death.

I had lasered some landmarks on the ROW and believed I had a good feel for range. Right at last shooting light, a spike buck, which I had seen and passed earlier in the season hoping the boy or the landowner would get a crack at him, came into view well down the ROW. I estimated the range at just over 250 yds, passed bamaboy grandad's .243, cranked up to 9x, and told him to hold 4 inches higher than normal.

There was a pause as he waited for the deer to get broadside, then the shot. I was spotting through binos. The deer showed unmistakable signs of being hit, and exited the powerline to the right, very unsteady.

"Lets get over there!" Of course, but, great woodsman that I am.....I had not brought a light ( or a knife I found out later) Kid reached into his fanny pack and produced a light. "I thought we might need it!"

It seemed a LONG way over to the spot.....and no blood when we got there!!
Day light was fading, fast. Within the 5-10 minutes that passed as we climbed down walked over we DID need the light. The first arc along the edge yielded nothing. Second arc, within the woodline, found some disturbed leaves, still no blood.

Then those teenage eyes showed their superiority to fifty plus eyes. "What's that white spot?" It was the buck, 20 yds away. Hit absolutely perfect, in the pocket behind the near foreleg, and through the opposite shoulder to break same. It had gone 50 yds or so,... in good light we would have seen it earlier. Incredible that it had gone that far.

Range 260 yds, no pacing or guessing, it'd been lasered earlier. Heck of a shot for a 14 yr old. Out ranges his Daddy's longest by a good 40 yds. He was ready, I'd seen him break too many clays at 100 yds w/ a .22, supported, and ring the gong at my buddy's 200 yd range w/ the .223. prone. But on his first antlered deer, that was tougher, and he did fine.

I'm one proud Daddy as you can tell, wish Grandad could have seen it.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:39 AM   #2
rshanneck2002

There aint nothing like killing your first buck,makes you very proud at age 14. Great shot buy the way! He get one big atta boy.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

wish Grandad could have seen it

Oh, he did. Never fear...

Congratulations to the young 'un- that's some good shootin'.

Wish I could have gotten home one more time in Jan to take advantage of that long season, but it didn't work out this year.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 3, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4
reloader28

Tell him "good job".
I know what you're feeling. I have 3 daughters ,19, 17, 15. They all love to hunt. They all reload their own hunting shells and have all taken deer well past 200yds.
Makes you feel all warm inside .
Old February 3, 2010, 11:11 AM   #5
To3T@g

WoW! great shot!!!! im sure ur proud as a peecock id be for sure! cant wait til my lil man gets his first buck. Mine is only 7yrs old,but he is great with his pellet gun! were down here in Auburn(WarEagle) and as is the case any where in bama its hard to find a 260yrd shot arround here. any way, like the member befor me stated"grandad saw it" and i know he was just as proud
Old February 3, 2010, 01:38 PM   #6
GeauxTide

Outstanding. Gave a 280 to my youngest (27) and he blasted some LA hogs and will come up next year for a deer hunt.
Old February 3, 2010, 01:52 PM   #7
rantingredneck

Excellent!

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 3, 2010, 06:39 PM   #8
James R. Burke

Congradulations. You will never forget your first buck. Now you can start looking for the big ones. Way to go again. Nice long shot, Dad must be prouud!
Old February 3, 2010, 07:13 PM   #9
SavageSniper

Great story Bama, thx for sharing. Brought a smile to my face.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:07 AM   #10
shortwave

Congratulations Bama. Today your reaping the benefits of good quality time spent with your son in the past. Be proud and enjoy the moment.

Betcha grandad is proud of both of you.

Thanks for sharing.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:43 AM   #11
blackhawk45

WHAT, no pixs of the boy and his first buck ? I just need to see his smile. my congrats to Father and Son.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:03 PM   #12
ChiefMuzz

memories

That reminds me of the first deer I shot. 275 yards with my .243 savage model 10. My grandfather pushed out a big stand of pines for me while my dad and I waited 400 yards away. Nothing came out by the time grandpap circled back around. He was standing behind me at my tree with my dad and I when a herd doe stepped out of the pines and started making their way in. I held off till the herd stopped 275 yards out. With my dad beside me and my grandpap behind me I dropped a nice doe right where she stood. It was a hunt neither of us would forget. 11 years and a dozen or so deer later I'm lucky to still be able to get out in the woods with both of them each fall.

Last edited by ChiefMuzz; February 4, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Uncle Ben

Congrats. Great story, thanks for sharing.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:22 PM   #14
boltaction

Awesome, congrats.
Old February 5, 2010, 02:22 AM   #15
bamaranger

pics, working on it

I've got some pics of course, but I'm such a dinosaur that I don't know how to post or attach them. Working on it.
Old February 5, 2010, 09:37 AM   #16
youp

Old February 5, 2010, 08:52 PM   #17
pwillie

Great story! My sontook his first buck when he was in his thirties......I still put the blood on his face,and he grinned like a "Chessar Cat"
Old February 5, 2010, 10:07 PM   #18
BIGR

Good for him. So nice to hear about those youngsters having success on a hunt and at that yardage.