The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Gazzmann

Lyman T-Mag Press

Any pros or cons with the Lyman T- Mag turret press?
I have an old Lyman ST now, which has loaded many thousands of rounds, and the only problem I have is to tighten the center nut when bullet seating.
Lyman claims the new T-mag is improved.
Just doing research before purchasing.
Thanks.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:47 AM   #2
geocole

I have a Lyman T Mag and have not had any problems with it. I think it is a good press.
I only load pistol with it.
I use a single stage for rifle.
Old March 13, 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
RB98SS

Like mine.
Old March 13, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Slamfire

The turret is easy to take off. The press leverage is good, I am able to small base size 30-06 cases without having problems. The lever is off set at an angle, it is easier on the elbow than straight lever arms. The lever can also be set for lefties.

Only complaint is that primers bounce out of the cup and on to the floor.
Old March 14, 2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Bones507

Code:
Only complaint is that primers bounce out of the cup and on to the floor.
I was having the same problem with the Rockchucker, all i did was back out the pin some so it didnt hit the primer with so much force and they all pretty much stayed in the cup. Also added a small foot mat on the floor underneath where i realod in the garage so the ones that did bounce out just stayed on the carpet and didnt go for a ride on the cement.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:18 AM   #6
billcarey

I have a Spar T and was looking at "upgrading" to a TmagII but decided there wasn't enough different to matter. The differences I see are better leverage, handle on the turret, the turret is level instead of angled, faster turret removal, auto primer feed tubes mounted on the turret and the back has an adjustable stud to support the turrent.

Years back I drilled and tapped the turret on my SparT and made a handle to rotate it...this was a MAJOR improvement. I'm cranking out small pistol caliber and it produces great ammo. The turret nut doesn't have to be tightened or changed for anything so I don't know what's up with your ST. The type lube under the turret DOES make a huge difference on how easy it works. A small amount of very light oil is better than grease or heavy oil. Light lube lets you crank down the nut more to tighten up the turrent play and still be about to rotate it easy. Heavy oil makes you keep the nut looser to enable easy turrent rotation.

Have you noticed what people are paying for Spar Ts on fleabay? $100 for a bare bones one and $150+ for one with the primer catcher and auto primer feed with tubes. Not much difference between that and a new TMag.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:28 AM   #7
wncchester

"Any pros or cons with the Lyman T- Mag turret press?
I have an old Lyman ST now,..."

All I can see is the improved compound toggle linkage that greatly reduces the leverage for sizing.

Mod.s to the old Spar-T design can be good. I did cut off the lower part of mine and converted the single toggle link to a compound type. Like that a LOT better! I have thought of adding a lever/handle to make for easier turning but haven't done it.

If I were not a "home shop" metal worker/mechanic I would have simply sold mine on ebay and got a new Lee Classic Turret press instead.
Old March 14, 2009, 04:32 PM   #8
pmeisel

I have a T-mag I bought over 20 years ago.

It was accidentally left out in the elements in a cardboard box during a move last year (thought that pile was all trash) -- for several weeks.

A few minutes a day for a week or two with some PB Blaster... good as new. (Lost a couple dies, though).

No reason to replace it, it does everything I need. Doubt my sons will wear it out either.