The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2000, 08:34 PM   #1
Dave AA

I'm going to start reloading, and my needs are thus:
I want to reload to save $ and improve my pistol shooting. I've decided on a Dillon SDB, since the only rifle I have is an FAL, and I can buy cheap military ammo for that.
I want to produce .38, .40, and .45 ammo as economically as possible.
Using the Blue Press as a guide, I estimate start-up equipment cost as $650-700.
I need some suggestions for an economical powder, brass and bullets. I know nothing about particular loads, grn. charge, etc. I am not really interested in producing max power or experimenting with loads, I just want to produce practice ammo, and lots of it.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old February 25, 2000, 09:52 PM   #2
Nukem

Here's a tried and true .45 load:

6.0g Unique with a 230g fmj or jhp.

Buy a decent manual, you'll expand your loading as time goes on.
Old February 25, 2000, 10:06 PM   #3
M16

As far as bullets go if you don't mind your guns getting dirty go with a good quality cast bullet. Also for plinking full metal jacket bullets are very economical. The best place to buy pistol brass that i know of is Starline. The have a website. As for powder like the other post said buy a good loading manual. Look up the calibers you want to reload and see if there is a common powder that you can use in all of them. Winchester 231 is one that comes to mind. Best bet is to get different types of powder that are suited to specific calibers.
Old February 25, 2000, 10:13 PM   #4
Ricciardelli

http://wwww.again.net/~steve/page8.htm
Old February 25, 2000, 10:28 PM   #5
jeepCJ

Dave AA,
Been using a Dillon SDB press for about 6 months, it is dedicated to only 45acp, do they really handload other calibers I was using Unique for a while it is very fine for the most part. I do a lot of indoor range shooting and found that Winchester Super Field burns a lot cleaner. My favorite load w/ 200g lead swc (I get mine right from Dillon when I can't get to a show about $44.00 per/1000 + s&h) is 6.0g of WSF giving me about 875fps and very accurate. I have never been disappionted with any Dillon products period... If you have not already ordered do your self a favour and buy a digital scale, it is the only thing I regret not having bought right from the start and weigh your charges often, it is easy to get carried away with a progresive system. Good luck.
Dave
Old February 26, 2000, 01:32 AM   #6
RickC

Dave:

I recently bought some once-fired military brass and powder from a fellow in Ohio. Prices were great, service was great ...
http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

Examples: 9mm @ $15/1000

Hope it helps,
Rick
Old February 26, 2000, 12:22 PM   #7
Bill in NM

Dave,
Welcome to the habit!
First of all, I have not loaded for the .38, so can't say how well it works in that caliber, but I use 700X in both 9mm and .45ACP. I do show it listed for the .38 as well. This is in "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" 3rd edititon by M.L. McPherson. 700X is a great powder, and it's about 1/2 the price of most powders. I can get it locally for about $10.00 a pound, where most other powders run $18.00 to $20.00. I think you'll really enjoy it.
Let me make a couple of comments. I'd strongly recommend getting at least 2 different reloading manuals, and READ THEM. Also, although you don't intend to work with a bunch of different loads, be prepared to really get into it and start to tune your loads. If you find it as enjoyableas the rest of us do, I bet that pretty soon you'll be tinkering and tuning to get the very best load for you and your guns. And you've made a fine choice with the Dillon. I also second the suggestion of the digital scale. Makes life easy.
Have fun, and be careful!
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in NM (edited February 26, 2000).]
Old February 26, 2000, 07:43 PM   #8
Dave AA

Reloading manual? What's that?
No, really, where do I get one (or two)? The gun stores around here don't carry much in the way of reloading stuff, they'd rather sell you their reloads.
Also, it is my understanding that the SDB comes with carbide dies, and therefore I don't need to lube the cases. True?

[This message has been edited by Dave AA (edited February 26, 2000).]
Old February 26, 2000, 11:10 PM   #9
Bill in NM

Dave,
I'd bet that there is a good gun store somewhere near you that carries manuals, and all the other related necessities (Primers/powder/bullets/presses, ect.) This will probably not be your 'typical' gun store. If you have friends that reload, ask 'em. They'll be able to point you in the right direction. Heck, if all else fails, make a day trip over here to NM and we'll show ya around.
As far as the carbide dies, you are correct. You do not need to use lube with pistol cases and a carbide die.
Good luck,
Bill
Old February 27, 2000, 11:16 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

www.midwayusa.com

1 800 243-3220

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"