The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
MikeGoob

Ok stupid hypothetical question

Can a live round discharge via a static electric shock to the primer?
Old March 13, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Dingoboyx

Probably

If you were very, very, very, very, very, very, very unlucky

However, I wouldnt try plugging one into a wall socket

I havent heard of it happening, yet. A first time for everything tho, I suppose.

Dont loose any sleep over it tho

Muzza
Old March 13, 2009, 11:40 AM   #3
MikeGoob

not a worry really. Just something I thought about and had to ask the experts!
Old March 13, 2009, 11:45 AM   #4
markr

We have all heard the statement "There are no stupid questions". The reason being: If the answer sets the asker on the right course, it's a good question. Not to mention the guy who was off course but afraid to ask. However, some questions are funnier than others

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 13, 2009, 01:07 PM   #5
wncchester

"Can a live round discharge via a static electric shock to the primer?"

Only if the static discharge is a bolt of lightening. "Normal" static won't do it.
Old March 13, 2009, 03:34 PM   #6
PCJim

I doubt it on the current standard ammo.

There are new ammo designs being tested for the military that use electric primers. I had read something about it back late last summer in one of the NRA magazines.
Old March 13, 2009, 03:58 PM   #7
SL1

As long as the primer cup and anvil are well connected to each other and the case, the current should not go through the priming compound, and so should not affect it. The same is true for a person sitting in a car during an electrical storm. You are inside an elecrtical "cage" and the current has a tendency to stay on the outside.

Lightning is a little different than a simple static discharge, because it is really MANY pulses over a very short period of time. So, it takes on some characteristics of high-frequency alternating current. That causes some effects that are hard to predict or even explain.

Now, if the current going through your primer and case is enough to HEAT the primer, then "bang" is a definite possibility.

SL1
Old March 13, 2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Dingoboyx

PCJim

Was that a pun when you said "current" primers??

Well said anyway, I like it, I guess you have a whole VOLT full of answers like that? Ohm my god, did I just write that? I think that was AMPle humour thanks very much... I better ZAP out of here before I get CHARGED, and someone UNPLUGS me? I hope I dont get the ELECTRIC chair for really stoopid gags? especially if convicted on PRIMER faeces evenence Boy am I WIRED today?

hehehehehe
Old March 13, 2009, 05:52 PM   #9
CountryJoe

If a center fire round goes off and is not in a chamber, controlling the force, the primer will usually pop out first. Even when the bullet pops out, the force is not contained and it does not fly real far.

On the other hand, a rimfire round will cause all kinds of havoc.

Don't ask me how I know about this
Old March 13, 2009, 08:07 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
There are new ammo designs being tested for the military that use electric primers. I had read something about it back late last summer in one of the NRA magazines.
Electronic primers have been used for many decades. They are typically found in larger munitions. The high cost of producing them for small arms made them impractical. However, the technology has been around for quite a while. For those that never saw the civilian version... do a search for the Remington E-tronix rifle and ammo.

As for static discharging standard percussion primers; the possibility is there, but very low. I suspect you would actually have to discharge the static directly into the priming compound.
Old March 14, 2009, 08:11 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
If a center fire round goes off and is not in a chamber, controlling the force, the primer will usually pop out first. Even when the bullet pops out, the force is not contained and it does not fly real far.

On the other hand, a rimfire round will cause all kinds of havoc.
Um, no, the primer just doesn't pop out. If that was all that happened, you would have a little rocket, which would be cool to watch, but that isn't all that happens. The whole case ruptures. Granted, the lead doesn't go anywhere really, but shrapnel from the case can, not real far, but it is a definite eye risk.

.22 cases my rupture or "shoot" a short distance, leaving the lead close by. Once again, not much real risk except to the eyes.
Old March 15, 2009, 11:25 AM   #12
CountryJoe

Um, in my experience, yes. Here's the story. When I was much younger, many decades ago, some friends, being of the not thinking teenager type, threw several 38s in a camp fire, thinking they were being funny. Everyone dove and all that was heard were pops. When we looked and picked the shells out, the primers were gone but most had the bullet still in the case. All had a good laugh and then the same knuckleheads threw in a bunch of 22s. Thinking nothing would happen, no one moved. The next thing we hear is loud cracks and objects wizzing threw the brush. It made everyone dive for cover, until we were sure that the excitement was over.

Of course, I am not recommending that anyone throw any live rounds of any type into a fire.
Old March 15, 2009, 11:41 AM   #13
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. My mother eventually stopped throwing rubbish from my bedroom into the open fire. It took several lessons though. Live .22 is not household rubbish.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Tuzo

Not firearm-related but a lesson in electrical theory

One night when his charge was pretty high, Micro Henry decided to try to get a cute little coil to let him discharge. He picked up Millie Amp and took her for a ride on his Mega cycle. They rode across the Wheatstone Bridge, around by the sine wave, and stopped in a magnetic field by a flowing current.

Micro Henry, attracted by Millie's characteristic curves, soon had her resistance at a minimum and his field was fully excited. He laid her on the ground potential, raised her frequency, lowered her capacitance, and pulled out his high voltage probe. He inserted his probe into her test socket, connected them in parallel, and began to short circuit her shunt.

Fully excited Millie Amp exclaimed, "Mho, mho, mho." With his tube operating at maximum peak current and her coil vibrating from the current flow, she soon reached her maximum peak potential. The excess current flow had gotten her coil hot and Micro Henry started rapidly discharging and soon had drained off every last electron.

They fluxed all night trying various connections and sockets until Micro Henry's bar magnet had lost all its field strength. Afterwards, Millie Amp tried self induction and damaged her solenoid. With batteries fully discharged Micro Henry was unable to further excite his generator; so, they ended it all by reversing polarity and blowing each other's fuses.

(old but still funny in a nerdy way)
Old March 15, 2009, 05:05 PM   #15
bodab

TUZO

LMAO!!!
Old March 15, 2009, 05:10 PM   #16
hardhit

Get the myth Busters on the job.....
Old March 15, 2009, 06:25 PM   #17
wncchester

"...she soon reached her maximum peak potential.

Was that actual peak, average or RMS? And did she smoke her killa watt out before the cathode melted?
Old March 15, 2009, 06:41 PM   #18
Russ5924

How about the guy that was in the news this week. Was out in his driveway hitting cartridges with a hammer Why and what I don't know but 911 got a call about a man shot, when they arrived they found him with shrapnel in his legs I think he may have learned his lesson Wasn't there something on myth busters about putting .22 in a auto fuse holder but they went off from heat of a dead short.
Old March 15, 2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Tuzo

.22 as automobile fuse

The Mythbusters devoted a portion of one episode to the Darwin Award story of two rednecks using a live .22 as a replacement fuse. Memory says the .22 worked until it overheated due to greatly increased resistance and blew. As a result of this incident, and the high probability of rednecks everywhere to repeat this stunt, the legal profession, over-protective legislative bodies, self-professed do-gooders, and the auto industry redesigned fuses and fuse holders in automobiles.

Another Mythbuster episode proved and disproved the "shoot the lock off" tactic. Bullets fired from hand guns only made locks look ugly with no effect. High powered rifle bullets, a .308 I believe, made the need for a key moot. Bushmaster approached Master Lock with the proposal to provide a Bushmaster with every Master Lock. As with previously mentioned fuses the same groups (except the auto industry) put a stop to that most excellent idea.