The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Wyoredman

Sellier & Bellot .38 spl Brass

A friend just gave me 1000 rounds of Sellier & Bellot .38 spc brass.

Has anyone ever reloded this brass?

Should I treat it like all the rest of my brass?

Should I get rid of it?
Old January 29, 2012, 10:49 PM   #2
zxcvbob

It's good brass, but with *very* tight non-chamfered primer pockets. I swage the pockets on all S&B brass (except 9mm, which doesn't seem to need it) before I use it. It's a PITA, but you only have to swage them once.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3
jag2

I've got range pickup of that brand in many calibers. Very good stuff, in fact better than a lot. Can't imagine you would have any problems with it as long as you don't see signs being loaded too hot.
Old January 29, 2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Wyoredman

Thanks, I just put it in the tumbler! Going to reload it tomorrow if the primers fit. I don't have a Pimer pocket swager? Can you suggest one?
Old January 29, 2012, 11:52 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I have a Dillon. It's the only piece of Dillon equipment I have, but I love it. It cost about $90 when I got it. You can get by a lot cheaper than that. But if you use Federal or Remington primers, you might not have to do anything to them -- or maybe just use a hand chamfering tool like for removing military primer crimps.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Stumper

Plus 1 on using a chamfering tool. A couple of twists creates a bevel at the pocket mouth and the brass is easy to prime thereafter. S&B is good brass once you address the primer pocket "issue" that seems to bother so many folks.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4