The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1
wover98

30/06 COL?? Which is which?

I am about to load my first 06 shells, I am using new brass and Sierra 165gr HPBT bullets over 46gr IMR 4320. My Nosler manual gives the max col of 3.340 but using an empty brass and bullet I set the bullet in the neck and carefully chambered it into my rifle and when I pull it out it has a col of 3.205.
Should I try to load to the 3.340 col? or to the 3.205? This is a Ruger M66 bolt action rifle.

Thanks.
Will
Old April 6, 2011, 01:44 PM   #2
PA-Joe

Each bullet has a unique shape and you must use the bullet manufacturer's COL. The other option is to meaure your chamber's COL and reduce it by 0.02" so that you are not touching the lands.
Old April 6, 2011, 02:40 PM   #3
F. Guffey

Not sure why you do not choose to load from the reloading manual for at least 6 months then move on to the seating off the lands, Me? I am not a fan of loading to the lands, I am a fan of the jump start and do not like the ideal the bullet is setting at the rifling with no way to get started from a dead stop, same with firing cases once and go straight to neck sizing, I like the time factor when sizing cases to fit the chamber.

F. Guyffey
Old April 6, 2011, 02:45 PM   #4
F. Guffey

there may not be any logic but I believe you should start somewhere meaning if you load from the book and you get good groups you can take liberties, you can seat the bullet out in increments while checking for accuracy and pressure THEN you can go the other way.

F. Guffey
Old April 6, 2011, 03:23 PM   #5
wover98

"Not sure why you do not choose to load from the reloading manual for at least 6 months then move on to the seating off the lands"
F.Guffey, the way I am measuring it if I load to the book they will not chamber. (I do not however have a Sierra manual and am using a Nosler)
PA-Joe, thanks, that is the info I am needing. I think by seating to the lands and comming off that .020" will be safer.
Guys correct me if I am wrong, but when I am using a brass like this, I am seating to the lands, right? The case is not neck sized so the bullet is not real tight in the neck. F.Guffey, I know you know a lot more than I, I am just trying to make sure I am doing things the right way.

Thanks guys
Will
Old April 6, 2011, 03:23 PM   #6
rg1

Sierra's recommended oal for the 165 HPBT for 30-06 is 3.185". That's where I'd start to see how they shoot in your rifle.
Sierra's data says to start with 42.6 grains of IMR 4320 and work up to a maximum of 50.2. They used Federal cases and Fed 210 primers in their tests. I like to have the bullet company manual and one reason is to check their recommended overall lengths.
Old April 6, 2011, 03:24 PM   #7
mehavey

Quote:
Not sure why you do not choose to load from the reloading manual for at least 6 months
Guffey has a good (starting) point, but I'm finding that several "newly" manufactured rifles seem to have a short throat, ... so short that seating to the bullet maker's recommended OAL would shove things into the lands by quite a bit.

Case in point was my new (2010 manufacture) Model-70/30-06 whose actual OAL/Distance-to-Lands was quite a bit shorter the Sierra manual OAL for its 168SMK. Even Hornady's commercial 150 BTSP was found to be only 0.005" off the lands.

My counsel to new reloaders/new rifles would be to check the Distance to Lands -- even w/ the cleaning-rod method if necessary -- before deciding on a seating depth.
Old April 6, 2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
The case is not neck sized so the bullet is not real tight in the neck.
You need to size your brass to hold the bullet tightly. If it does not, you will never achieve anything approaching accuracy.
Old April 6, 2011, 08:34 PM   #9
MOshooter65202

As PA Joe said Each bullet manufactures COL will be a bit different because of bullet designs as well as different rifle chambers. I always use a RCBS precision mic when working up a load with a different bullet,that way I can always find my rifles COL with different bullets. The RCBS Precision Mic measures the ogive of the bullet where it is making contact with the barrel riflings,always start .002-.003 off rifle landings so as not to create high pressures.
Old April 6, 2011, 09:14 PM   #10
wover98

I have loaded them at 3.185", that is .020 off of what I believe to be the bullet striking the lands. When I said the brass was not neck sized, I was refering to the "Test" case I was using to check my chambering. I have full length sized all the brass even though it was new. Some went by with very little effort while some had some push to them so I guess its a good idea to size new brass as well. I am going to try to just neck size them once they have been fired in my rifle.
Thanks guys as always your a great resource.
Will