The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2009, 07:48 AM   #1
tkofoid

Need input for developing deer load .243

I just picked up a T/C Icon in a .243. I'm going to use it for hunting, mostly deer. I think I want to go with a 90 grain bullet. I usually pick up the 'green' box of bullets, but I am leaning towards the Speer hot-Cor. I haven't used Speer bullets in 30 years, thought it would add color to my bullet selection having a yellow box for a change. Have any of you had any experience with the Speer Hot-Cor in the 243? I am also an accuracy nut. I know 1/2MOA is way too good for deer,but the challenge to put together a good load is fun and rewarding. Any suggestions, pet loads, negative or even positive feedback should make for good study. I'm leaving it up to you fellows to pour it on! Thanks.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
mkl

Best .243 deer load I've found is the 100 grain Nosler Partition pushed by IMR-4350. Never have failed to have one drop within 30 yards of where it was hit. Most have dropped in their tracks.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3
dkwhite

I recently rebarreled one of my Savages to .243. I didn't have time to work up a load before deer season so I used a Federal factory load that uses an 80gr Hot-Cor. I shot a small buck and the performance was great. The bullet shredded everything in it's path and left a nice sized exit wound. I've also used this load on coyotes and groundhogs with excellent results(not pelt friendly). The 80gr Hot-Cor is now my "go to" bullet for the .243.

Here's the factory load I used.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ifle.aspx?id=7
Old January 20, 2009, 12:38 PM   #4
crowbeaner

37 grains of IMR4320 and that 90 grain Speer is a sweet shooting combo.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:08 PM   #5
PCJim

+1 with MKL. 40.0gr IMR-4350 behind the 100gr Nosler Partition. Not the max charge, but stout enough to handle the whitetails while saving both your brass and barrel.
Old January 20, 2009, 05:32 PM   #6
tkofoid

I can appreicate what you fellas are talking about when you mention the Nolser partition. I leaned toward the Speer due to cost. But,, I haven't priced the partition lately,,maybe they are in the ballpark? I knew you guys would come through for me. Thanks to all!
Old January 20, 2009, 06:27 PM   #7
robctwo

Most of the deer I've killed with my .243 were shot with the 100 gr corelock. I have had good accuracy with 95 and 100 gr and Varget in the 33 to 34 gr range per the Hodgdon site. I like the Hornady interlock and interbond, but Noslers work good as well.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:28 AM   #8
hardhit

Nosler do a 90 & 95 Gr. Spitzer Ballistic tip Hunting
Its intended use is on deer?
Old January 21, 2009, 07:45 AM   #9
tkofoid

The nosler ballistc tips are certainly accurate. I had a bad experience with them on deer in the 25 cal. It exploded upon impact with no penetration.
It tore a big hole in the buck's hide and blew him over. He got up and ran off.
Old January 21, 2009, 04:17 PM   #10
hardhit

Wow sorry to here that! are you sure that they were ballistic tip hunting no varmint, I no that the early ballistic tips had some problems in that they didn’t hold together, So nosler beef up the jackets on the hunting version, iv used them in 25 cal on deer & goats and kangaroos and never had one get away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballistic_tip_hunting_bullet.jpg (27.3 KB, 86 views)
Old January 21, 2009, 08:11 PM   #11
tkofoid

Hardhit: I thought maybe I had a box of varmint bullets,too. I wrote to Nosler with my complaint and they told me to hold my velocity down below 3000 fps.... I thougth it was a poor excuse at the time...Since then I have heard,as you stated, that they stiffened them up a bit.
Old February 20, 2009, 01:51 PM   #12
James R. Burke

Nosler

I load my wifes .243 win with Nostler 100 grain partitions pushed by RL-22. Bigger bullets in the .243 like slower burning powder. She shot a two deer last year, and dropped right were they stood. Complete pass thru nice expansion. Check out Noslers web site, and go to the ballistic room. They will give you all the loas info for there bullet. I always get the manual but you could slide by just checking there site out. I dont give out my load data one typo go be a huge mistake. Hope I helped a little.
Old February 20, 2009, 10:16 PM   #13
onehitwonder

i've had great luck with most 100gr soft points.
Old February 21, 2009, 12:06 AM   #14
cartman

I have been loading 85 grain Sierra HPBT's with IMR 4320 38.6 grains of powder and WW Large rifle primers no problem with 1/2" MOA or better at 100yrds. many deer dispatched over 35 years loading them all 1 shot kills and drop in their tracks. They have been used in my Boy's rifles as well as my Mauser and Model 70 in the 243.

There have also been 2 elk and several mule deer shot with this same load. The Elk dropped but used a follow up shot on 1, this load has been an awesome load for me and I think I'm too old to change now....

This load can be referenced in the Sierra handloading manual, never shoot a load that can't be referenced in a reliable handload book.

Last edited by cartman; February 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Added reference information.
Old February 21, 2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Stick_man

Barnes makes an 85gr TSX that is very accurate, great expansion, and deadly on Mulies and speedgoats. They are a little pricey, but their performance makes them worth every penny paid for them. They are pretty picky about the loading particulars, but once you find the right combo for YOUR rifle, their accuracy will rival any match grade bullet out there. Their weight retention and expansion is second to none.
Old February 21, 2009, 09:23 PM   #16
Coltdriver

Whatever bullet you choose do a look up on optimum charge weight and give that a try.

I have a .243 that I have finally dialed in after teaching myself how to get one to shoot right. Along the way I discovered this optimum charge weight method for getting a particular rifle/bullet combo working.

I tried this method at the range with a new .308 a couple of weeks ago and inside of 20 rounds had a powder/bullet combo that groups like magic. I came home, loaded up some rounds at the weight that worked best and sure enough they are right on.

You don't have to fool with col either.

Let us know what you come up with.
Old February 21, 2009, 10:16 PM   #17
Teuthis

Use the manuals for your loading. You cannot go wrong applying the precise recipes in the manuals. I loaded a number of such rounds in .243. The deer will drop from a good hit with any of them.
Old February 21, 2009, 10:32 PM   #18
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

It is a shame we can't hunt deer in Illinois with a rifle. But, we can hunt coyotes year round with rifles....and 24 hours a day for a couple months out of the year. Makes no sense to me! :barf:

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 22, 2009, 12:04 AM   #19
butta9999

100gr hornady interlock with 42gr of AR2209 pushing it out. Get about 2900fps and hits hard. That is my pet heavy load,