The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 17, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Staff
Staff

New members - please introduce yourselves here

This thread can be used for any new members who wish to introduce themselves to the other members of TFL.

A post here is not required for any new member, it's just a convenient thread to use when posting an introduction.

Edited to add: This thread is for new members to introduce themselves. Let's take discussions to the discussion forums. New members, save photos of your entire collection of firearms for the discussion forums. And welcome!

Click here to view the forum FAQ. It contains a LOT of useful information on how to use the various features of the forum software.
Old March 17, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
ChuckC

Hello TFL!!

I'm very new here and have tons of questions, just trying to figure out where to post them.
Old March 17, 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Dragon55

Longtime shooter....

I am an East Tennessee hick. I'm not a dummy... just an East Tennessee hick. I've shot for as long as I can remember. Just recently became interested in reloading since my buddy has decided he's tired of fooling with it. This interest is what drew me to this forum since it appeared to me there were some very knowledgeable folks that could (and did) steer me to great places for info and data. I usually check this forum every day or so primarily to look at the posts in the reloading section. I've developed an interest in shooting semi-auto pistol at an indoor range after a long time shooting 44mag. single action. I guess I'm getting too old for the recoil, and the cold, and the rain, and the snow, and the cold, .................
Old March 17, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Nikop23

Unfortunately, I hail from California. I grew up in a gun owning family. My grandfather taught me almost everything I know about guns. I hunt small game and dear. I also bow hunt. I am just getting my collection going.
Old March 17, 2009, 08:07 PM   #5
ritepath

New (or mostly so) from Southwest Virginia. I've been into hunting for 25 years, and have a collection of "hunting" weapons mostly shotguns. I've been out of the "mode" for 10 or 15 years, my boss piqued my interest again.
Old March 18, 2009, 11:16 PM   #6
jermc

hi everybody!!!

27yr old gun enthusiast from Huntington WV tryin to learn a lil online about firearms
Old March 19, 2009, 12:15 AM   #7
djohn

Hi I am Dave I am a 46 yrs old and I cant stop drooling over firearms especially the ones that I can't afford.Darn It I wish I can hit the lotto and then by a bigger house to fit all the guns I would buy.
Old March 19, 2009, 12:20 AM   #8
Ricky

Howdy!

I'm 48 years old. I started hunting and shooting when I was about 12. I live in No. California, about 25 miles N.E. of San Francisco. I've done some reloading but I'm no expert. My taste in firearms runs toward "Practical Quality" I don't care for guns that are too pretty to take hunting. I do like a gun that has good fit and finish,works smoothly and is accurate. My favorite rifle is my Weatherby Mark V in 30-06, black plastic stock. Leopold VXII 3-9 scope. I'm not a big fan of big magnums. I think most are never used to their potential. You don't need a .300 Wby Mag to shoot any dear. If you are going to Alaska, that's a different story.
I think we all, as gun owners and enthusiasts need to do our best to show non gun owners that most of us are safe and responsible. There are enough yahoos out there who make us look bad, reinforcing anti gun sentiments.
I've been frequenting FLF for about 3 months.
Old March 20, 2009, 05:08 AM   #9
Eight88

I joined you fine people around a couple a months ago, it's been a small while. I'd like to say hi, and have a nice day.
Old March 20, 2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Dingoboyx

Greetings fellow earthlings............

Murray (Muzza) from Canberra in Australia. 47 years young.(I'm not old, I've just been younger longer) I've been a keen rifle shooter small bore .22 and large 7.62 Omark many moons ago, and in the last 5 or 6 years got into firstly black powder pistol, then CAS, and a year and a half ago into semiautos. I am also a keen collector of guns. It was a struggle to get a pistol licence here in Oz, outrageously difficult, many hoops to jump thru (some of them burning) but has been well worth the effort. I have a dodgie hip and back (dang cripple) so I cant walk far,so cant ride bikes any more (motor or bicycle) or play football, golf or anything like that, but shooting I can do, and not too bad at it, even if I do say so myself. Especially with pistols. Last sunday I stunned everyone during our range open day, by hitting a 2' x 3' steel plate at 100 meters, 3 times out of 5 shots, then a 3' x 4' plate at 200 yards, 2 times out of 5 shots with my 44-40 5.5" Ruger Vaquaro pistol. Some folks couldnt hit the plates with leverguns. I do all my own hand loading so guns and associated tinkering keep me pretty busy.... to say the least.
My guns are Bp: 2 x stainless ROA .44 C&B, 2 x Pietta New Army .44 C&B, 1 x Euroarms of America .44 C&B, 1 Uberti Colt Dragoon .44 C&B, 1 x .662 P/cap muzzle loader smoothebore shot (& Ball) gun
Centrefire: 2 x Ruger Vaq. 1 x 44-40 & 1 x .44 mag,1 x Winchester '94 .44-40 Little Big Horn 18", 1 x Marlin 23" Cowboy .44 mag, 1 x Rossi hammered coach gun. Semi auto: Walther P22, Glock 34 (9 x 19)
In my collector section: US revolver .32 S&W pocket hammerless, Belgian .320 cal pocket revolver, Webley .32 acp pocket SA, Savage .32 acp pocket SA, Styr (ex Chillean Army) 1911 9mm (Styr)

I have been silently cruising sites like these for years, and decided on joining this one earlier this month, (seemed like a good idea at the time )
I have a warped sense of humor (I think its pretty funny anyway) and enjoy answering leading questions with the appropriate stoopid answer, but sensible where sensible is due. (Cant resist hassling obvious idiots tho)
I wrote a thread (my 3rd movement) last week, called "handguns Down Under, an insight" which you might enjoy reading (unless reading all this has already made you :barf: enough?
Nice to meet y'all..... see ya round
Muzza
Old March 20, 2009, 03:06 PM   #11
Alamocdc

Howdy, folks. I'm Billy B. I've been a shooter for 40 years and reloader for 25, but I haven't busted a cap or reloaded anything in the last 7. But that is about to change. All the kids are grown now (we have 5) and most of them took adavantage of a recent sale at the almost local Cabela's so I'll be going with them to the range to teach them how to properly handle their new Sigs.

Anyway, happy shooting, gang, and y'all stay safe!
Old March 20, 2009, 03:22 PM   #12
a7mmnut

Hello again. Glad to be home with friends around a warm fire. Here's my stats:

46 YOWM, married, two kids-8 and 11.

Live at the foot of the mountain in northwestern NC, and at the feet of Jesus.

Been a rifle shooter since age 5, shotgun shooter since 8, pistol shooter since 12, and an avid reloader since 16. They're all still my first loves. I hope my boys will love them, too.

Hope to meet more great shooters as shocked at the world today as I am.

C-ya, <7><)))))))))
Old March 22, 2009, 05:21 AM   #13
damien1988

hey all i am from that land down under australia bee shooting since about 5 am 20 now and thought you guys could impart sum knowlage apon me

cheers
damien
Old March 22, 2009, 09:32 AM   #14
Gandolf

Deal me in

Hi, Folks. I've chosen the name "Gandolf" to hide behind. The name suggests age, which is correct; I'm 75. It may also suggest wisdom to some, but that's not substantiated.

I am a fat old retired ex Iowa farm boy, ex Air Force bomber mechanic, ex newspaperman, ex realtor, ex economic development director. I am and have been, for about as long as I can rember, a gun lover and owner. I've shot deer and turkey here in Missouri where I live now. I don't have the ambition to work hard at anything, including hunting, but I can still drag myself to a shed on the edge of my opening to hunt turkey. Life goes on.

I'm so new to this Firing Line and to submitting "stuff" that I will no doubt screw up handsomely at first, but let's just go on. I look forward to hearing what you all think about different things. I expect to find answers to some of my problems by reading you, and if my meager supply of information is of any use to anyone else, great.

It's nice to be with you. Later

Gandolf
Old March 22, 2009, 07:29 PM   #15
stickhauler

I'm In..

I'm Pat, from Dayton, Ohio, grew up down in SE Ohio on a dairy farm. Left there to take Uncle Sam's all expense paid trip through the military, and eventually returned home to Ohio, and lived in SE Ohio until 1985. I'd been around guns and hunted quite a bit, quit when the other hunters we had in the area mistook any movement for Bambi. Moved to Dayton when my first marriage broke up. I had guns in the house, just never used them for around 25 years.

I really hadn't paid much attention to gun rights in this country until around the time the Heller decision came out, I was amazed that there were areas in this country where citizens weren't allowed to have guns.

That decision, plus the changes of leadership in Washington, have brought me back to active gun ownership and shooting in a big way. I have a concealed carry license for Ohio, awaiting my C&R license, and belong to a gun club in the area, as well as becoming a member of the NRA and other gun rights organizations.

I also have my elected representatives phone numbers programed into my cell phone, and I ain't afraid to use it.
Old March 22, 2009, 10:44 PM   #16
essohbe

Hey all.

It's pretty rural where I am so shooting and making noise isn't a problem. I like guns and also LOVE fireworks, and am able to use both responsibly. My favorite gun is my old Marston Pepperbox! Looking forward to learning from everyone else's experiences.
Old March 24, 2009, 04:17 AM   #17
SilentSoul

Hello

I did not notice this thread until now, i would have introduced myself much sooner, but.. better late than never, as they say

I am not sure what to say about myself, i was raised a country boy, in central Florida, all 23 years of my short life thus far, i "can survive" to toss a quote around , but i can fit into many different categories, i also grew up with the whole "metal head" life all around me thanks to my uncles, i had hair down to the middle of my back until barely a year ago, i still listen to a lot of music.. its another passion of mine, along with martial arts, and cars... i am a bit of a gear head, it runs in the family, when it came time to get my drivers licenses, my dad built me a racecar and stuck me in it, my very first driving experience was in a 5spd on a Florida short track, trial by fire of sorts

I am also very glued up on these computer type things, i am a big "gamer" i enjoy building a computer in a nice clean environment.. just the same as being covered in grease and oil under the hood of a car, i do a bit of everything i suppose

trying to keep this short, i am very good at rambling on for quite a while on some subjects, hopefully we will all learn more about each other in time, i hope to have a nice stay here, very few forums i actually get to know people on, so far i really like the air in here

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 24, 2009, 07:16 AM   #18
dobroman

Greetings one and all. I'm a senior, and I'm a member, I'm just not a senior member. I'm sixty one and been a hunter, shooter, collector all my life. I've shot possums in Kentucky, squirels in Missouri, Elk, grouse, deer, and pheasant in Wyoming. I think when I grow up I want to become a gunsmith, but who knows what's around the next corner. I hope to find like minded people here to converse and share with. My best to all, an almost eductated redneck from America.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:59 AM   #19
NickM1

Greetings

I'm here from the nether reaches of California. Yes, not only do I live in Ca, but in Los Angeles, where the anti-gunning fascists have a strangle hold on power. Don't you just hate it when that happens?
Old March 24, 2009, 09:56 PM   #20
georgiaboy47

Hey Ya'll

As my name implies, I'm a Georgia boy, born and bred in Bartow County. I have grown up in the country my whole life, and shot guns for the better part of 11 years. I currently just own a savage .22lr (I sold my Remington shotgun, and my Kimber .45). I'm in the military right now, and am working on opening up a shooting range back home either while I'm in, or as soon as I get out. I'm wanting to learn as much as I can from all of the experience here, and hope that I may pass on what little knowledge I have.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 25, 2009, 01:15 PM   #21
SOneThreeCoupe

I'm Steve from California. I'm a college student and go to CSUSM.

I open carry and advocate increased rights here as well as across the country.

My politics are a combination of panarchist and libertarian thought.

My two passions are firearms and cars, both because of the freedom involved.

Quality is my first priority. I don't care much about aesthetics unless they impart quality to the product in question.
Old March 25, 2009, 01:29 PM   #22
tmd11111

Hi all,
Tom from Texas. Spend alot of time on here surfing seeing as how I am stuck in Iraq without all of my toys.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:24 PM   #23
malibu bobby

New Saying Hi

hi my name is bob i have a question i applied for my cpl in wayne county on dec 15 2008 and still have not rec'd it yet iv been told it its about a 3 month wait. iv called a few people at the city and wcso and they sed just wait it could take 7 months and there prob waiting on my finger prints does this sound right im all set up and ready to carry.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:38 PM   #24
T-Dub

'Nuther FNG

Hey guys and gals, This is TW. I have 8 years at the Laramie County SO here in Cheyenne, WY (more than that at other agencies in Oklahoma and military). I am a Corporal and Chief Firearms Instructor for the Detention Division. We are the largest County Detention Facility in the state. I have four other instructors that work for me and we put on firearms training at least once a month. I am into Glocks, Rock River AR's, and Remington shotguns and long range guns.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:45 PM   #25
Curtis Miller

Shaky

Hello to Everyone!
My name is Curtis and I am 49 yrs. old married with two children who will both be in college in a year and a half. I was told January 21 that after 30 years of working for an appliance mfr. in my hometown that the owners have decided to move ths buisness south of the border as of Deember 09.

I am a gun enthusiast and have just started to get into hanguns. I own a Ruger Mark III target pistol that gives me no problems but could use some tips on my S&W Model 60 revolver.

I enjoy following my sons football and soccer games and am a weekly photographer for a dirt track in the area. I also enjoy hunting, fishing and reading.

I look forward to any tips/advice anyone can lend.

Curtis/Shaky.

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent