The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1
trappy

Bulge At The Lip Of 45 Acp Brass

Hi.........folks.......New problem I am new to pistol reloading....Having a hard time making adjustments to dies and stems.To get to the overall length(they were long) I lowered just a smidge the seating die and there is a slight bulge at the upper edge of brass maybe 3-4 thos larger than case. If I just lower the inner stem then the bullet is loose in brass.I would appreciate any help
thanks in advance. I did chamber a non primered,powedered case and it did fit but they don't look like new ammo. I don't have much hair left to pull out.
Old February 2, 2007, 10:22 AM   #2
rwilson452

bulge?

Is that a bulge or a bell? It sound like you don't have your seating die down far enough or. if your doing a separate die for crimping that die is not crimping. If you are using your seating die to both crimp and seat you need to get the crimp set first. back out the seating stem and work the die down until you get the crimp right them work the seating stem back in to acheive the proper OAL. this is a back and forth process until you get them both correct. I alway recommend using a Lee FCD to crimp .45ACP ammo. It's an extra step but much easier to adjust.

What die set are you using?
Old February 2, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3
singleshot

The bulge is probably due to over crimping. When you have a single die to both seat and crimp getting the adjustment right the first time is a bit tedious. I use a sized and expanded empty case and screw the seat die down until you just barely feel it contact the crimp ring. Then start seating a bullet using the seating stem for adjustment. When seating depth is about right tighten the die body down by 1/4- 1/2 turn and that should be enough crimp. You just have to make a couple of dummies to get it right.
Old February 2, 2007, 10:26 AM   #4
sanson

singleshot's method works for me also
Old February 3, 2007, 06:50 AM   #5
Toolman

I had the same problem until I got my dies set right.
You should also run them thru your gun to make sure there's no problems & they go into battery.

Once I'm satisfied with the OAL on the different calibers I load, I mark a round of each caliber and keep them for future reference if needed.