The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 28, 2011, 04:22 PM   #26
flcjinflorida

This nut job would probably never be elected for office anyway. I don't think he even has a chance of getting the second amendment repealed. I am glad that we have some gun rights activists in our nation's capitol. At least I know that they will go down fighting before giving up my right to bear arms.

"I carry a gun because my back can't handle the weight of a law enforcement officer. " -Me
Old April 29, 2011, 12:53 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

One, or more of our duly elected representatives has been proposing repeal of the second amendment every year for the last few decades.

It never goes anywhere. Repealing an amendment, particularly one with such a long history and such legal support (unlike Prohibition) would be a long drawn out process, and we would have time to vote any and virtually all sponsors out of office, both at state and Federal level before it could be passed.

Most of the politicians know this, and won't touch the issue with a ten foot pole. The few others know there is no realistic chance of it happening, but endorse the idea in order to pander to their lunatic fringe constituants.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
Old April 29, 2011, 01:59 PM   #28
BlueTrain

I get a much stronger impression that plenty of people would like to dissolve the federal government and therefore abandon the constitution, just like that, though none would admit it and most don't even realize that's what they are suggesting with some of the things they say. Might not be such a bad idea.
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 29, 2011, 02:22 PM   #29
mnero

Good luck collecting the tax! LOL What an unrealistic idea! I consider myself a rather moderate fellow, but I own more then 9 firearms. It's a collection, if I had only the ones I need, then it wouldn't be a collection
Old April 29, 2011, 11:08 PM   #30
HoraceHogsnort

Zekeluvs1911 wrote: "Not that this guy has a totally realistic chance to succeed but this is a reminder to us all that there are movements out there that will constantly try to chip away at our 2nd Amendment rights."

He's not talk'n 'bout "chipp'n away" at anything, this is a full scale nuclear assault!!