The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 5, 2016, 06:36 PM   #26
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I can ring 8" plates pretty regularly at 40 yards with my 2" Smith......
I suggest that your SD shooting will not resemble that.

Many people believe the if they can shoot well at 25 yards or 30, they will do well at 10 feet.

They may not.

The problem with a .44 Bulldog is not accuracy. It is the ability of the defender to consistently place a sufficient number of hits timely and well on the attackers.

I would not bank on that before spending a couple of days in a defensive pistol shooting class with a really good instructor.

Watch how much easier it is for those with pistols with more capacity and less recoil.
Old September 5, 2016, 07:06 PM   #27
David R

I kind of figred ONE well placed 44 special will do the job.
Double taps are for 9mm.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old September 5, 2016, 07:07 PM   #28
michael t

I carry my old CA bulldog with 200 gr Gold Dot In jacket or pocket its not hard to conceal. I over laid mine on my 36 and its just a little bigger. Become my #1 to go to for carry revolver . Wife is carrying it a present time .
Old September 5, 2016, 07:18 PM   #29
75218ron

Quote:
Quote:
you would be lucky to nail one guy with a 5 rd snub nose 44spl revolver
Reads pretty clear to me, and I'm sure most others. No comprehension problems when you make a statement pointing out one particular firearm, and caliber. If you ment any handgun, that is what you should have said!
LOL.....cheapshooter, you took that out of context. I said in a SHTF panic situation, you would be lucky to nail one guy with a 5 rd snub nose 44 spl revolver, and I still hold to that. How many of those situations have you been in? I apologize for hurting your feelings about your gun. I know you love it just as I love mine.
Old September 5, 2016, 07:23 PM   #30
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I kind of figred ONE well placed 44 special will do the job.
"Well placed"? Maybe.

But that "good place" is small, moving, and hidden. Hitting it will largely be a matter of chance.
Old September 5, 2016, 07:34 PM   #31
tallball

I carry my bulldog sometimes. It is just a little bigger than a J frame, but bigger enough that it is a coat pocket gun rather than a pants pocket gun. 44 special is one of my favorite calibers. It is fun to shoot.
Old September 5, 2016, 09:39 PM   #32
jwise

Well this thread kind of went off the rails...

Trading out a five shot revolver in a combat-cartridge for a different five shot revolver in a combat-cartridge seems like fan fair more than pragmatism.

As for pocket guns, I go with either a Sig 938 or a Kahr PM9, or if my pockets are a bit bigger, a Glock 43. 7 rounds of 9mm in a platform that slips into a pocket in my dress pants much easier than a revolver.
Old September 5, 2016, 09:58 PM   #33
JERRYS.

ive always wanted to try out the older Taurus 445 .44 spl 2" revolver. never found one locally but knowing the design they would be considerably for suitable for the round that the similar sized Charter Arms guns.
Old September 6, 2016, 06:48 AM   #34
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
was thinking about the Ruger LCR, but price is a bit steep.
The difference in price between a Bulldog and an LCR isn't really that much. For something that you'll be trusting with your life over a long period of time, it's negligible. If you like the LCR, just skip a few luxuries to make it up. Since you reload, you might also consider the .327 Federal version. It gives you six shots, manageable recoil, and more power than 9mm.
Old September 6, 2016, 09:25 AM   #35
georgiacatweazle

327 maybe an option, i'll have to look in to it.
Old September 6, 2016, 10:48 AM   #36
Stopsign32v

Glock 43 is the answer here.

I run mine with 9rds of Underwood 124gr Gold Dot +P+
Old September 6, 2016, 12:10 PM   #37
georgiacatweazle

Glock 43 ? nah, XDS 9. i can pocket carry that, but a bit chunky.
Old September 6, 2016, 01:40 PM   #38
Chainsaw.

ANY modern hand gun is vastly more accurate than the hand holding it. Worry less about the size of your peni........uhh....bullet and worry about shooting worth a dern under stress. Get some training.
Old September 6, 2016, 02:43 PM   #39
Stopsign32v

Springfield over a Glock.......lololol
Old September 6, 2016, 03:39 PM   #40
turkeestalker

Tupperware is Tupperware is Tupperware in my opinion.
The beauty of this forum is that it is full of opinions, each valid to the one who holds it and every one has every right to hold their own.
Old September 7, 2016, 06:13 PM   #41
Ozzieman

Quote:
ive always wanted to try out the older Taurus 445 .44 spl 2" revolver. never found one locally but knowing the design they would be considerably for suitable for the round that the similar sized Charter Arms guns.
Having both I would take my Bull dog first because of the lighter weight of the dog. Also the quality of the dog was better.
I had to have a very good gun smith go through my 445 to keep it from locking up after a cylinder or two. I got the trigger better than the dog but it took a lot of work and I had to clean out a lot of loose metal that was still in the gun.
I do think the 445 is a heaver built gun but I would never trust it as a carry gun. For me its a range toy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog and tar.jpg (191.3 KB, 34 views)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 7, 2016, 11:49 PM   #42
BushRat

Don't get me wrong....

I like the .44sp cartridge. But I consider it a bit bulky for pocket carry in my opinion. Better off with a S&W J frame model 642 in .38sp or maybe even a Ruger LCR in.38sp. There are several different small frame, light weight revolvers out there that would make good pocket carry guns.
Old September 8, 2016, 12:05 AM   #43
Model12Win

A .44 BULLDOG loaded with wadcutters will still be more effective than a .38 loaded with hollowpoints.

Get the BULLDOG.
Old September 8, 2016, 11:58 AM   #44
CZ9Joe

If you are considering carrying a .44 special revolver like the bulldog I would personally just go with a .45acp pistol. I believe they have similar ballistics and you will be able to carry more ammunition (even in a compact) in a lighter pistol. I carried a Glock 30S for a while that wasn't too bad even though the frame was still pretty thick but I know there are lighter .45's on the market than that. As things stand now I carry an LC9S in the summer and a 2nd gen CZ P-07 in the cooler months which I've found do-able. I've had nothing but problems with .380 pistols but that is probably just personal bad luck. In the end select something that you know you will carry all the time. Comfort should be a high priority.
Old September 8, 2016, 01:59 PM   #45
rclark

But then who likes pistols? . Rather carry a revolver anyday... And for me, the .44 Special Bulldog is it. Now, .45 Colt would be my cartridge, but you can't find a .45 Colt in the small form factor of the Bulldog. And a 240g SWC still will hit plenty hard if needed.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 8, 2016, 02:11 PM   #46
SIGSHR

No CCW here, though I have a Bulldog from 1976. Pachmayr grips are quite comfortable, Jeff Cooper didn't like the "hook" front sight, Skeeter Skelton found his favorite 44 Special load of an SWC over 7.5 grains of Unique was a bit much for it.
Old September 8, 2016, 06:52 PM   #47
rclark

Yep, for my Bulldog, it gets only 6.0g of Unique under the 240g SWC. I feel the heavier load would beat the tar out of the little Bulldog.... All my other .44 Specials get the Skeeter load.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 9, 2016, 01:05 PM   #48
JERRYS.

I happen to like the bulldog concept, but I find the cylinder lock up becomes suspect in time. the picture here shows the ever so thin cylinder stop bolt. compared to other revolver lock works it is weak. however, you can see that except for a longer barrel it is not much bigger than a "J" frame sized gun.
Old September 10, 2016, 08:26 AM   #49
Cemo

Since you have a primary, I recommend going light weight. A LCP fits that role perfectly, small, flat, lightweight. If you favor a revolver, the S&W 642 or Ruger LCR work very well. The .44 is going to kick pretty good Andis more bulky.
Old September 20, 2016, 05:10 AM   #50
Kilibreaux

Indeed I DO carry my Charter Arms .44 Spl Bulldog in my front pants pocket! It fits with little less room to spare than my S&W J-frame 642, albeit about 6 ounces lighter!

Based on my own handloading data, the .44 Spl bests the .38 Spl from a 2" barrel by about 100 lb-ft of kinetic energy...this is signifcant! A CA Bulldog delivers with the same authority as the average .45 ACP load from a 1911!

The advantage to the CA .44 Bulldog is it's LIGHT (19.6 oz actual weight), but carries FIVE big bullets that won't go without notice if they are needed to impress upon a criminal or thug that one refuses to be a victim!

I own several J-frames but only ONE CA Bulldog....and I grab the bulldog when I need something "pocket ready" but potent!