The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 4, 2013, 09:11 PM   #51
tahoe2

I'm guessin 250-3000 or 300 Savage
Old September 4, 2013, 09:22 PM   #52
ThomasT

Hey Taylorce1 it just once again proves the old saying; "its the indian, not the arrow". That was a good story. I remember a Jack O'Conner story where he ran across his friend Charlie Ren while hunting sheep (or mountain goats). Jack asked about the worn out looking winchester 30-30 he was carrying. Charlie said something like, "hell, you can knock them over with anything, its finding them thats so damn hard".

Learn to hunt and shoot and you can do a lot of work with a small, assumed weak round. Don't know how to hunt, better buy a bigger gun.

I am rereading Finn Aagaards Selected Works from Wolfe publishing for about the 6th time right now. In one story Finn used a 22 hornet to shoot some large plains animals. His ammo was loaded with bullets that had tougher jackets than the normally loaded varmint style bullets normally found in american loads. Better bullets let him make some impressive kills on african game.

John Barsness wrote an article in Rifle Magazine on effecient rounds in 2002. I would recommend that folks get a copy from Wolfe Publishing. It will put this topic in good perspective.
Old September 5, 2013, 11:19 AM   #53
Geo_Erudite

This is a formula I have been working on to explain cartridge efficiency (not a complete finished product):

This formula gives you a 1 to 10 scale for cartridge efficiency, with 1 being least efficient and 10 being the most efficient. Here are the results of some common cartridges (table on left shows most efficient on top to least efficient on bottom; graph just showing efficiency vs caliber).

It's not perfect, but it is a start.

Last edited by Geo_Erudite; September 5, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old September 5, 2013, 02:12 PM   #54
steveNChunter

There are some cartridges that have been deemed very inefficient pretty high on that list. I'm not arguing with your formula I just think its interesting as it goes against what some have said in this thread. I never knew I had such efficient rifles I like the results
Old September 5, 2013, 04:08 PM   #55
Geo_Erudite

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter
There are some cartridges that have been deemed very inefficient pretty high on that list. I'm not arguing with your formula I just think its interesting as it goes against what some have said in this thread. I never knew I had such efficient rifles. I like the results
I think you read the table wrong, so to make it easier. I put them in order from most (top of table) to least (bottom of table). I think it gels well with what people have been saying in this thread.

Last edited by Geo_Erudite; September 5, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old September 5, 2013, 06:00 PM   #56
steveNChunter

No I think I'm reading it right. I'm referring to cartridges like the .25-06, 6mm rem, .240 wby mag, and .270 win being in the top half of the list. Not many people would consider those to be very efficient cartridges.

But the bottom half of the list is mostly magnums, so I guess that's not saying a whole lot
Old September 5, 2013, 08:41 PM   #57
reynolds357

Geo, I don't really agree with the methodology of the formula. For all practical purposes, it is not taking bullet dia. into account. In theory, I could take a 300 Win mag and neck it down to .22 cal, and your forumula would give it almost identical numbers to its parent.(saving the slight change in water capacity due to necking)
Old September 6, 2013, 08:41 AM   #58
Geo_Erudite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
Geo, I don't really agree with the methodology of the formula. For all practical purposes, it is not taking bullet dia. into account. In theory, I could take a 300 Win mag and neck it down to .22 cal, and your forumula would give it almost identical numbers to its parent.(saving the slight change in water capacity due to necking)
Yeah, I should of thought of that, so I worked out a new equation:

Which results in a new table (Same applies, most efficient on top and least efficient on the bottom):

Last edited by Geo_Erudite; September 6, 2013 at 08:48 AM.