The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 16, 2010, 09:32 AM   #1
tackdriver

softening up the chiefs special

If you were taking someone out who was afraid of shooting (noise, recoil, etc) but who recently had shown an interest in your Model 36, what would you do to soften it up as much as possible?

I've already decided to replace the rubber hogue bantam grips (subject of another post to come). What are some good recoil-dampening options that would give her a good handle on the gun? I'm thinking something longer, at least, than the bantams and maybe something not quite as sticky in case she doesn't steal it from me (which I'm really hoping she will). She's 5'10, so we don't have to worry too much about grip size.

I've been thinking about ordering some wadcutters for soft-shooting, but started to wonder if they're really any softer than the 130 grn fmj federal ball I have.

Thanks
Old January 16, 2010, 09:42 AM   #2
noyes

Cowboy Loads
Old January 16, 2010, 09:48 AM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
I've already decided to replace the rubber hogue bantam grips (subject of another post to come). What are some good recoil-dampening options that would give her a good handle on the gun?
The full-size Hogue Monogrip is very good. The 3-finger covered-backstrap Uncle Mike's Combat grips that came on many recently-made J frames are a close second, and they're easy to find very cheap in the gun forum classifieds from people who have upgraded their J frames. Probably the top choice are Lasergrips, but they're obviously very expensive.
Quote:
I've been thinking about ordering some wadcutters for soft-shooting, but started to wonder if they're really any softer than the 130 grn fmj federal ball I have.
Yes they do.

Regarding the original question, I'd suggest starting her out with a smaller-caliber J frame like a .22LR Model 34/63 or a .32 Long Model 30/31.
Old January 16, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4
tackdriver

Quote:
Regarding the original question, I'd suggest starting her out with a smaller-caliber J frame like a .22LR Model 34/63 or a .32 Long Model 30/31.
Just trust me when I tell you we have been through several fine makes, models and calibers of handguns and that watching her shoot anything bigger than a .22 will scare you to death. So, duh, right? Get her a .22. Well, we did. And she didn't like it because it was ugly and it was too big for her to carry around because she wants something for self-defense. She didn't see the point in it.

I know. I know.

She's recently shown a little bit of a renewed interest in shooting and taking responsibility for her personal safety. Instead of spending more money, I'd rather let her take a crack at something that is already in our inventory, that she's shown a little interest in (it's small and not ugly). If we can set it up to shoot softly enough that she'll practice with it and maybe work up to a good self-defense round -- good for us. Buying a new gun for me is much less of a headache.
If not, I'm out the cost of a box of shells and a new grip, which I'm going to get anyway.
Old January 16, 2010, 01:12 PM   #5
bluetopper

Load up some 148gr wadcutters with 2.3gr of Clays powder.
Old January 16, 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Don P

Cowboy loads for the recoil, ear canal plugs and a set of quality ear muffs should quiet the noise substantially.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 16, 2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Doc Intrepid

I've had real good luck using Winchester 110 gr silvertips for "recoil sensitive" shooters. I've also used lightweight Winchester wadcutters, IIRC, but haven't seen them in awhile.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/h...s/X38S9HP.aspx

Your best bet may indeed be light-load reloads, but unless you reload them yourself they can be hard to find.

(In terms of unsolicited testimony, as a guy who was in your exact same position once, the solution in this one woman's case turned out to be one of the Beretta 3032 Tomcat autos - which she found easier to carry than the S&W 5-shot revolvers. Just FWIW...)

Good luck with the experiment.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Intrepid; January 16, 2010 at 02:00 PM.