The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old July 21, 2009, 07:01 AM   #1
700REM

Whats the point

Whats the point of having a forum if someone is going to lock every thread they dont agree on.Not everyone is going to agree on everything,thats called a debate.Theres no communication if one side just locks down a thread for no reason other than he/she dont like how a thread is going.If you dont agree with something on a thread,MOVE ON and dont comment on the thread.
Old July 21, 2009, 07:33 AM   #2
ZeSpectre

What's the point in posting an off topic rant that you know will get closed?
Old July 21, 2009, 07:48 AM   #3
lockedcj7

Before the mods close this thread, I'll get my comments in. There are lots of threads where people disagree and a healthy debate evolves over the course of the thread. Lots of people are looking for advice, experiences or opinions and they get what they came for.

The problem is that some people state facts that are just plain wrong, give advice that is dangerous or advocate breaking laws. When that happens, others of us feel compelled to correct the misinformation before a neophyte takes the advice and gets hurt... or worse.

Sometimes these threads take a turn toward name-calling and character assassination and the mods step in before it turns into an all-out flame war.

Sometimes the threads are specifically intended to start a flame war and the mods step in quickly.

Sometimes the threads are purely political and have nothing to do with guns or gun ownership. There are other forums for that. Closed.

Sometimes the question has been asked and answered. The thread has gotten hijacked or has strayed far off the OP's point. Closed.

I think the mods here are aggressive but not heavy-handed. I've been on other forums that are much more loosely moderated and it ends up being a profanity-filled slug-fest. I'd much rather have a civilized discussion than a bar brawl. That's why I'm here.
Old July 21, 2009, 08:41 AM   #4
ZeroJunk

The mods are concerned about the perceived civility, character, etc. of the hunting, gun owning community by others who might view these forums.
Most have been doing it a long time and know when they want to keep something from getting beaten to death, again.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:10 AM   #5
a7mmnut

This is one of the most over-moderated sites on the whole 'net!

Most of us are using other, more tolerant sites for continuing sagas.

Shop around, most of the names will appear to be familiar to you.

This site will be closed before long if this keeps up, just as other sites that were much more popular in the past. (Shooters.com) There's too many people griping about it to the parent co./publisher.

-7-
Old July 21, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since you posted in the hunt section I guess you are referring to the deer bait thread?
If so go read the last several posts. one is mine You will note the discussion quickly took a death veer from baiting to various hunting methods that are more real than modern technique and gear.
BTW IMHO IBTL YMMV FWIW IIRC!!!
Brent
Old July 21, 2009, 11:33 AM   #7
davlandrum

Quote:
This is one of the most over-moderated sites on the whole 'net!
I have not seen one locked thread that I thought should have remained open. If you can point me to a locked thread that 1) stayed somewhat on topic, and was 2) civil debate, I will re-evaluate my opinion.

At times, I wish it had a pre-emptive thread lock - so that someone starting another "is the XXX enough to hunt YYY", "AR vs AK", or "XXX for bear defense" thread would get a mild shock through their keyboard.... Now that would be technology!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 21, 2009, 11:37 AM   #8
stargazer65

IBTL

Recommend you try to:

Police your own threads, keep them on track and they won't lock unless you break a rule.
Old July 21, 2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Buzzcook

As of now there are two locked threads on the hunting forum. Which one was it that put a kink in your day?
Old July 21, 2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

There are plenty of sites on the Web that allow profanity, insults, sheer irresponsibility, and chaos in general.

This isn't one of them.

Don't like it? Feel absolutely free to leave, but don't let the virtual door hit you on the backside on the way out.

TFL has been around for over 10 years and now has over 76,000 members. The only way it "will be closed before long if this keeps up", will be if the owner of TFL, Rich Lucibella, decides to close it, and that isn't likely as long as we still have mature and civil members that post with the intent to promote responsible firearms ownership.

And speaking of closed threads....

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread