The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1
DanV1317

Question about rifle dies

I've always used redding 3 die sets for all my rifles. My neighbor wants me to get some dies for his 7mm mag so i can reload some rounds for him. I look online and all i see are RCBS 2 die sets. Whats the deal with these? Dont i need a full length resizer/decapper, a neck expander and a seater die?

How do i go about this with just 2 dies or does one die do two of the above?
Old January 16, 2007, 08:46 PM   #2
stinger

Rifle necks shouldn't be expanded unless you are loading lead. I would assume a seasoned reloader would know this, especially one who buys Redding ($$$$).
Old January 16, 2007, 08:58 PM   #3
BigJakeJ1s

Standard bottleneck rifle, 2 die sets have a full length or neck sizer and a seater. The full sizer has an expander button on the decapping stem. Different neck sizers handle that in different ways, but do not require a separate expander.

Some manufacturers offer three die bottleneck rifle sets, with a neck sizer, a full-length sizer, and a seater. Redding offers different types of 3 die sets, one with a neck bushing die, a body-only die, and a seater. Lee offers the traditional 3 die set, and a 3 die set with full sizer, seater, and factory crimp die.

Straight wall die sets, for rifle or pistol, usually require three dies: a sizer, an expander, and a seater.

Midwayusa.com has several different manufacturers' dies and die sets for 7mm rem magnum.

Andy
Old January 16, 2007, 10:06 PM   #4
DanV1317

Quote:
Rifle necks shouldn't be expanded unless you are loading lead. I would assume a seasoned reloader would know this, especially one who buys Redding ($$$$).
Well actually i guess it isn't a neck expander, but i'm using one of those type S neck bushing dies for my .308. I guess i used the wrong word to describe it, as i usually do pistols reloads and i do bell the cases on those.
Old January 18, 2007, 05:23 PM   #5
amamnn

I would think long and hard on it before loading for someone else's rifle. Especially if you have never loaded that caliber. I've had friends ask over the years and always volunteered to help them learn and showed them where to buy the equipment economically. The horror stories about lawsuits stemming from amateur reloaders loading for others, may be urban myths, but I have had first hand experience that one man's load will not always work for other people, so I can credit some of the catastrophe stories and so play it safe.
Old January 18, 2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Ruger4570

I feel the same about reloading for someone else. I will invite them over, give them acces to my equipment, show them how it is done and review the powder charges with them etc, etc. The bottom line is that THEY do the loading and I never allow them to go anywhere close to Max loads. If they want that, I tell them to buy some equipment and do it on their own. I sure don't want the liability. I like to be helpful, just not stupid and responsible for their loads.
Old January 18, 2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Edward429451

Starting loads only for friends too cheap to buy factory or reloading equipment.

Quote:
but I have had first hand experience that one man's load will not always work for other people,
Ditto, even in the same exact brand & model of gun!
Old January 19, 2007, 04:31 AM   #8
Buckythebrewer

I don't mind reloading for my friends as long as im using near start loads and Im loading to factory specs as much as possible(once in a while that is)..I would not make it a habit though.I would get the Lee set.Use your FL sizing die for brass that was not previously fired in your rifles chamber.from there I would use The Lee collet neck sizing die.Obviously trimming the cases as I go.
Watch the belts on the cartridges.I read something about that to watch or measure for and I can't remember what(avoiding head case seperation).
Old January 20, 2007, 02:18 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Die sets and reloading for friends

Standard dies for bottleneck cases are two die sets. A sizer(full length or neck) and a seater (with crimp). Some companies have more dies, a separate crimp die being most common.

The expander ball on the decapping stem of the full length sizer die ensures the inside neck diameter is correct. The normal seating die can be adjusted tio crimp as a separate step, or not crimp, or seat and crimp in one operation.
You do not need to flare the case mouths of bottlenecked cases when loading jacketed bullets. To load cast bullets, you do, and a separate die will need to be used.

As for loading for a friend, go ahead, but ONLY if he gives you his rifle. You must have the rifle inorder to check case sizing and you must shoot it in order to work up safe reloads. And without shooting you can't tell if the ammo is proper or accurate. You need to have the rifle in your posession in order to do this with a degree of safety. Make sure he understands that developing a load that shoots well in his rifle can be a lengthy time consuming process, and may cost him a bit in components. Once you get a good load worked up, you can make it cheaper than buying factory ammo, but you may have to try several different bullets and powder combinations to find one that matches or out performs factory ammo.
Make sure he understands the cost of the powder and bullets, unless you can also use them in something you shoot, he has to bear the full cost of bullets by the hundred, and powder by the pound. He may spend more than several boxes of factory ammo cost before you find a good load.

Cheap is good, and cheap is fine, but if cheap isn't accurate, it isn't worth the money.
Old January 21, 2007, 02:25 AM   #10
mrawesome22

Get him a Lee Collet neck die and a Hornady seater die. His groups will be great.