The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 26, 2001, 06:47 AM   #1
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Finally got the scanner working

so you guys who were waiting for disassembly/assembly instructions, drop me a line and I'll get them out to you. George
Old September 26, 2001, 02:43 PM   #2
Lefty

... you have to get this ...

Geo:

Now that you have a scanner, go to this site and look at this: http://rawilson.net/shareware/#gsc

It's a shareware prgram, $10, where you scan in your target and save it as a *bmp file. You calibrate your scanner to your PC, etc. using a small steel ruler. Once calibrated, open the target file and click on the center of the actual bullet holes ... and presto ... the program tells you the real size of the group.

It really works slick -- takes out all of the guesswork or bias of "how much did the paper springback", etc., etc., as it truly measures between centers of the holes. He has options where you can plug in your caliber and using different aiming reticles.

When I did the calibration to a $$ virgin ruler used as a standard, I was able to get resolution approaching 0.001" -- unreal !!