The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 18, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1
MLafolette

1903A3 stock questions

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for some help on the background of my 03A3 Rifle. I recently purchased the Rifle and am very Happy with it. A Great shooter. I have attached some photos (I Hope). It is a Remington with sn-3,55x,xxx which would be correct for the date on the barrel (3-43) and is a 4 groove. Appears to be basically 100% blued metal. The stock itself is in great shape (not new) and appears to be a Remington 03A3 stock type 11 that would also be correct for this time period of 1943. My question is this- the stock has absolutely no Cartouche or markings of any kind that I can find. What would the most likely explanation for this be? Does the absense of stock markings deminish the value?The stock and hand guards are of the same wood and finish. Thanks in advance for any help and comments.
IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG
Old February 18, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
johnm1

Nice rifle and they are a boat load of fun to shoot. I'm not an expert, but have two miyself. Stocks replaced in the field, or any stop shoot of the arsenal, were not proofed and tend to have no markings. I suppose it could be an aftermarket stock. If it had been sanded enough to remove the markings, it likely would show in the areas where the metal meets the wood. Like the buttstock would overhang the wood if it had been sanded significantly. Early Remingtons had pinned stocks. I see yours has stock bolts. I would accept it as is. A nice looking rifle with a replacement stock. How does it shoot?

Now the fun starts. Start looking for the 'R' marked parts. Things like sling swivels, barrel bands, and all of the bolt parts. Remington formed the barrel band spring relief differently than Smith-Corona. I can't remember who used a square cut and who used a rounded cut.

I'm hoping someone who knows more than I will come along.

Nice rifle. Have fun shooting it.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
MLafolette

Hi John, Really appreciate the response. Haven't had the rifle long but have shot it a few times and it is a pleasure to shoot. The barrel band spring relief is square cut which I believe is correct for the Remington stock. Everything about the stock appears to be correct the best I can tell. I love the gun, it's just the lack of markings on the stock and the lack of Parkerizing puzzles me. Again, really appreciate the response.

Mike
Columbia Missouri
Old February 19, 2013, 09:30 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

The S stock without grasping grooves is the most common on the Rem 03A3. No cartouche marks on wood could be from a replacement or sanding and refinish.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:15 PM   #5
MLafolette

Thanks for the response. I have read that this was a common "Field Replacement" Stock after the war. I assume this was done by arsenal but not sure what Field replacement means. If stocks were replaced while in service, is it common that they did not then mark the stock with a cartouche??? I feel that the stock is not original to the gun but I am trying to make an educated guess on if the stock replacement was done by an arsenal. The stock is old and shows use but is in very good shape. Thanks for any comments.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Stocks replaced at re-arsenal well have cartouche marks, the arsenal ID and a Proof, and possibly manufacturers markings.

Marking on Remington 1903A3 wood.

The arsenal ID stamp.