The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 14, 2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Rem1187

rust in my 1187 barell after rainy hunt help!!!1

I went deer hunting on a rainy day in January for last day of shotgun permit season. I came back cleaned my gun.(i did apply hoppes 9 solvent and oil with patches) Took it out of the closet this weekend to find what I belive was rust shavings covering part of the inside of the barael. So I cleaned it off. I took it out to look it over toaday and found that there were those dreaded rust particles inside my barell. (or at least I think its rust) I gave it another cleaning an hour ago Ill check in a day or two too see if the particles have returned.

Has this happned to anyone. First time its happned to me. What should I do.
I only have 2 guns so getting this one inshape is a must.
(mossy 500 canteliver and Remy 1187) sig pro borowed from brother for a month but that doesnt count

Thanks for all help
Rem1187
Old March 14, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

It could be just plastic or lead fouling.

Try using a new bronze bore brush and solvent to scrub the bore and chamber.

If it is rust, you can wrap some 0000 FINE steel wool around a well-used bore brush and polish the bore out.

Chuck the rod in a drill, run the drill at medium speed, and keep the brush constantly moving up and down the bore.
Don't forget the chamber.

After this, run patches with solvent through the bore until they come out clean, then dry and apply a rust preventing lube to the bore.
Old March 15, 2006, 04:02 PM   #3
webbee

I like Eezox, as it's heavier than water, it keeps water away from the applied surface. I think it's the best CLP. YMMV

http://www.eezox.info/site-in.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
Old March 16, 2006, 06:37 PM   #4
quack fiend

shoot it
Old March 21, 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
seabat

gets the rust out!

After you try the 0000 steel wool, go to any outlet that has 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper. I know the word sand paper really gets peoples attention but it works wonderfuly with a drop or 2 of a good oil it will remove surfice rust but not the pitting if there is any. Ballistol oil is a great preserver and wont harm you or your clothes, you can even eat the stuff, ( no joke ) . Hope it all works out for you.
Old March 22, 2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Anthony2

1187 rust problem...

I have a 30yr. old 1100, that had the same problem...Since the 1187 is basically the same gun I'll give you my solution:

Run some PB Blaster down the barrel a few times, dry the barrel and chamber with patches,then take it out and but a couple of high brass loads through it.

This time run Hoppe's solvent through it and run patches till dry...

Why does it work??? I HAVE NO IDEA!!! In a freak thought process I tried it right after I got my 1100 after it had been stored for 25yrs. and it looks like new and shoots like it too!

Let me know how it works and contact me if you have any other questions.
Kind Regards,

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 23, 2006, 11:57 PM   #7
Bigfatts

I bought an old 870 that had this problem. I bought some stuff at Wal-Mart called Corrosion-X. It's a deep penetrating rust remover/lubricant. It get s underneath the rust and lifts it off (so the can says.) Spray it on, let it soak and then scrub the barrell with a bore brush. It will also penetrate the metal and keep the rust from reappearing. If you can actually find the stuff when they have it in stock, it's great.