The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 15, 2001, 11:54 PM   #1
neil pilling

First IDPA&IPSCshootand the winner is....

I would have to give the nod to IDPA.

THis is because I like the tactical atmosphere of the IDPA. The one IDPA shoot I went to was put on by a group just starting out their club. There were three courses and some long delays. But the stages allowed for some creative sollution (within reason). A person had to think as they moved through the stage. It was a matter of tactics instead of just planning on how to place magazine w/ the Correct number of rounds for the reload after dumping an empty mag that had contained the "correct" number of rounds for the first part of the course of fire.

As far as IPSC goes I had a lot of fun today shot 5 stages w/ handgun and 14 w/ shotgun. Shot alot of ammo and left grinning from ear to ear. I also left w/ this nagging feeling that I have been unfaithful to my law enforcement training. Standing still in the box w/out cover shooting it out w/ 8 targets and then running forward towards another box (again no cover) and shooting it out w 6 more targets gave me the heebeegeebees.

These feelings were put rest after saying the heck w/ tactical just have fun and burn some ammo. This is in so way a slam against IPSC because I will be back to enjoy myself with the friendly people of the WI practical Pistol League I met today in Monroe WI.

My perfect idea of an organization woould be the IDPA mentality w/ the ammo count of the IPSC. Until that group comes along I will go to IDPA to keep the book of tactics up to date and IPSC so I can step back close the book and start throwing lead.
Old July 15, 2001, 11:59 PM   #2
neil pilling

Sorry that was 1 shotgun stage not 14 and it was to be in NO way a slam against IPSC.
Old July 16, 2001, 10:01 PM   #3
First On Race Day

I shoot in both too and enjoy each the way they were supposed to be enjoyed. I have to get myself in the right mindset prior to going to each event. What chaps my a** (and that's a lot of a**) is when shooters of one sport slam shooters of another sport. Our interests are the same, it's just the techniques that are different. I don't shoot IPSC for realism but for the "gun and run" aspect and I don't shoot IDPA for it's high round count but the tactics involved.
Old July 19, 2001, 07:46 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I also shoot and enjoy both.
Old July 19, 2001, 01:03 PM   #5
AndyP

I shoot and enjoy both, as well. I started with IPSC in Appleton, WI and later when the Ripon, WI club started IDPA I got into that. I think the differences between the two are exaggerated. Shooting IPSC Limited prepared me well for IDPA.

I find IPSC relatively challenging due to the high round counts and steel and IDPA challenging due to the large number of strong-hand/weak-hand only scenarios, the magazine changes with retention, and the tendency of the Ripon match director to put in stages that involve prone positions or rolling in the dirt.

I look forward to shooting the WI state finals in both (not that I plan on winning anytbing). Any other cheeseheads out there?

AndyP