The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1
zcrenna

New to reloading, can you recommend good powder and primers?

Howdy all,

I'm ready to start reloading for my Ruger American .308.
I have a Lee Loader in the mail, I want to make sure I do this all right and safely.

I've been reading around the web looking for good powder and primers, etc. looks like Varget is a popular choice for powder and I was thinking of going with CCI large rifle primers #200.

I am very interested in your guy's input.

This is my first year as a rifle owner so for the most part i'll be doing target shooting at about 100-300 yards (not a lot of hunting opportunity in southern California...)
Old March 24, 2013, 02:27 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

CCI primers are fine, you can use another make if you find some in stock ! I run between Federal, Winchester, and CCI, just due to availability, not preference.

Other powders are H335, IMR 4895 and IMR4831, just because I use them, nothing wrong with Varget powder.

Right now you have to reload with what you can find.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
zcrenna

Thanks a lot.

Ya, it seems to be slim pickings on reloading equipment, just like ammo.

I appreciate it though, just wanna make sure I'm on the right track.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

Depends in what you can find available and the weight of bullet you intend to use. Right now it seems 180 gr bullets are more easily found than 150 or 165 gr ones. Generally a little slower powder works better with Heavier bullets. With 150 gr bullets BLC2 may be good to start with. Varget is probably about right for general purpose, it is very accurate with 168 gr bullets in my .30-06 Garand loads.

Reloader 15, IMR or H4350, IMR4064, H380, Win760, H414, Hunter, etc are all in that medium burn rate range.
Old March 24, 2013, 04:05 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I like Win. W-748 for bullets 165 and lighter , which is as heavy as I go in the .308 Win. . I use good old Winchester primers exclusively WLR for all rifle loads (including .300 & 7 Mag.) and standard Pistol primers , large and small . Never a problem of any kind !
Old March 24, 2013, 04:32 PM   #6
stogiejim

How do you have a press in the mail?!?! Where were you able to score one? I've been looking and looking and looking and looking
Old March 24, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Slamfire

Varget is an excellent choice, perhaps the best all around choice in 308 though the case was developed using IMR 4895.

If you can't find Varget, I can recommend the 4895 series of powders : IMR 4895/H4895/AA2495. These are all copies of each other, H4895 is now an "extreme powder" so it is a little more advanced. I also recommend IMR 4064 except it is longer grained and does not meter well. Shoots welll.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:12 PM   #8
rlc323

Looking for a press in the mail

If I were looking for a press I would start here:

http://www.gunstop.com/Store/Reloading%20Presses
Old March 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

The OP is buying a Classic Lee Loader. It is a neck sizing only loading tool that does not use a press.

Zcrenna,

The Lee Loader will come with a single powder scoop and a list of powders that scoop's volume is correct for. If you want to use a different powder from those on the list, you'll have to buy different scoops or a powder measure or a scale or some combination of those.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 24, 2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Boomer58cal

Quick note on primers. In my experience federal primers are a little hotter than most. If your running near max loads be careful. I've had to run 1/2 to 1 full grain less with federal. I always rework may loads to be sure. I takes a little time but it's better than having molten , smoking chunks of metal flying in your face. If your not at max it my not make much difference but I'd check just to be safe. When in doubt STOP! and check. Then recheck.

Another warning... Always double and triple check load data people give you online. Buy every loading manual you can find. Then compare them all. Never just see a big fat feet per second number and jump to that load. Start 10% low of any max load and work up slowly. I go up .5g at a time until I get close to max then go up .2g until I see pressure signs/reach max recommended load then back off at least a grain. but that's just me. Others my tell you something a little different. Be safe I would hate to see you on the 6:00 news.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:28 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Get a SCALE to go with your minimal reloading equipment
Old March 24, 2013, 09:07 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

Second that about the scale. It's only a matter of time until you scoop up a load in a different powder than what the little bucket is made for. Go spend the money on a good digital scale, right now. You will need to check out a portion of your loaded cases anyway, by spilling them out on the scale to check the load, you want to verify bullet weights, loaded cartridges, etc., etc., so go and get the scale now. You can also get a powder trickler and get more accurate powder weights than the bucket. You'll feel better about the rounds you load, anyway.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:00 PM   #13
gwhunran

I like H4895/IMR4895 in 308. Remington 150gr flat base spitzers, Nosler 150gr ballistic tips work well in my 308
Old March 25, 2013, 12:51 AM   #14
zcrenna

Thanks Unclenick. I'll make sure I read up on it fully so I do it right.

Haha, not gonna end up on the news Boomer ...plus I'm more worried about screwing up and p***ing off the Mrs...

Thanks guys, I'll get a scale too.

Natchez seems to have (currently) a wide selection of Sierra bullets in stock. But i'm thinking maybe i should hold off til I can acquire a good powder and primer match and go from there?

But just so I know, 150 grain seems like a good size to start with?

Really appreciate the advice everyone.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:15 AM   #15
NWPilgrim

Yes, I think you will find less selection in powders right now and more choices in bullets. So for now at least, better to get the powder first and then see which bullet best suits it.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer58cal
In my experience federal primers are a little hotter than most.
I expect you are thinking of their magnum primers. The 215 has a reputation for being warm. But their standard primers are on the mild end, IME. In 2006 in Handloader, Charles Petty did primer tests in .223 and found the Federal 205 to be the mildest he tested, with, I think, the Remington 7½ giving him the highest pressure and velocity (about 4½% more) with a 55 grain V-max and 24 grains of Reloader 10X (note this is a full grain above Accurate's published load of 10X with another 55 grain bullet and though published, should be worked up to slowly). I've not heard of the 210 being particularly warm, either, though the CCI's 200 seem to be a little milder in this test. The really mild KVB 7 next to 30 year old Remington primers at the end of the list is today sold by TulAmmo as their standard large rifle primer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:57 PM   #17
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
But just so I know, 150 grain seems like a good size to start with?
Sure, but look at the various powder maker sites for loading data
Old March 25, 2013, 02:19 PM   #18
zcrenna

Quote:
Sure, but look at the various powder maker sites for loading data
Thank you. Will do.
Old March 25, 2013, 06:37 PM   #19
Revolver1

Reloading's not rocket science. Grab a manual or two, get whatever's available, and jump right in.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:18 PM   #20
zcrenna

Revolver, thanks that's reassuring