The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 9, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
C0untZer0

Illinois close to passing CC (video)

I'm so excited I had to post, even though there's not really much news to it..

http://www.foxillinois.com/news/loca...150759165.html

Also it's nice that they used a Springfield Armory instead of a Glock for the graphic...
Old May 9, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Do you have a bill number, or a page for the bill? I don't see anything about it on the Illinois Carry website.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:34 PM   #3
C0untZer0

The report doesn't say which bill specifically but I think it's HB 5745:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...0&SessionID=84

Although there's a chance that it could be HB 148 again. But I think it's 5745 because it's had more work done on it than 148. HB 148 can still be brought forth, but it's basically been sitting dormant while negotiations went on with 5745.

The problem is, those last two votes are pretty hard core votes.

Even if this doesn't pass though - it's going to cost Rahm Emanual and Mike Madigan a lot of political capital to quash it.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:39 PM   #4
kinggabby

I hope you guys get it. Good luck! !
Old May 10, 2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Good luck, Illinois!
Old May 10, 2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Webleymkv

Quote:
Even if this doesn't pass though - it's going to cost Rahm Emanual and Mike Madigan a lot of political capital to quash it.
You never know, they might not fight it as hard as you'd think. Instead, I could see them trying to water it down into some sort of system like what NY, CA, MA, and other restrictive states have rather than risk cases like Moore v. Madigan getting to SCOTUS.
Old May 10, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
mack59

Don't believe the supporters and sponsors would let it get watered down - they would pull it first. But the problem is - even if it finally gets a super majority in the house and senate to pass 3/5 majorities - that is still significantly less than than the 2/3 majority of both senate and house needed to override the governor's veto - which he has promised to do.
Old May 10, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8
mack59

Don't take the above post wrong - passage would be huge - even if the governor vetoed it. There is a slim chance he might not and he won't be governor forever and support for CCW grows thanks to the hard work of grass roots activists who are holding CCW educational and informational meetings all over the state in county after county.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:43 AM   #9
Scimmia

Not really on topic, but of the previous 8 governors of Illinois, 4 have ended up in prison.

On topic, with as much political power as Chicago has, I doubt Illinois will get a pro-concealed carry governor in the foreseeable future. If this is going to happen without judicial involvement, it'll have to be a veto override. Even if it a bill ends up passing with enough votes to override a veto, it's going to be much tougher to get all those same votes for an actual veto. Illinois does seem to be gaining ground, but there's still a long road ahead.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:08 AM   #10
C0untZer0

Only need a 3/5 majority (60%) to make it veto-proof and over ride home rule exclusion.

There are 118 members of the General Assembly, so we need 71 votes (70.8 actually).

So 71 is the magic number
Old May 11, 2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

We don't do general political rants here, nor do we denigrate politicians. Numerous posts along those lines have been deleted, and if it continues, this thread will be closed.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

They best be quick about it. the Moore/Shepard cases will have oral arguments on June 8th.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:47 AM   #13
RedBowTies88

It sure wouldn't suprise me if IL got CCW before NJ

Good luck guys,.. hope it works out for you
Old May 11, 2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

RedBowTies88, you keep saying this...

Haven't you tried supporting the current case at the CA3? Piszczatoski v. Maenz (was Muller) is a NJ case. There is even a thread about it: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434336
Old May 11, 2012, 09:09 AM   #15
C0untZer0

My rep has already voted yes for it once, so I don't have to bug him too much this time. When Rahm Emanual and the Chicago dems came out with their flurry of gun control proposals earlier this year I wrote to my rep each time and I think his assistant got a little tired of repeatedly telling me that he was a "strong supporter of Second Amendment rights."

But for the people who have anit-gun reps, one of the things that they are putting in their e-mails to their reps is that if they don't pass this well-thought out legislation, they will end up with the current Illinois UUW law being ruled unconstitutional by the court.

I don't think anything is going to happen today. When it comes to work - these people are the laziest bunch I've ever seen.

The Senate cancelled today's session and everyone in the House will be leaving Springfield by 1:00 p.m.

Nice work if you can get it.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:11 AM   #16
RedBowTies88

Quote:
RedBowTies88, you keep saying this...

Haven't you tried supporting the current case at the CA3?
Indeed, I'n fact I spoke to Mr. Gura personally (for a very brief moment) at an NJ2AS meeting. Of which I am a member as well as the SAF. At this point we're just playing the waiting game.

I must admit that I make comments such as that in the faint hopes that it will bring more people to the conclusion that even though we're listed as a "carry" state on all those maps that you see online that in fact our 2nd ammendment rights are squashed here as much or even further then they are in IL dispite IL being a no carry state (so says the brady bunch).

Either way I appologise for the comment as really this isn't the place to post such things. Even if griping about it does make me feel a tiny bit better
Old May 11, 2012, 09:21 AM   #17
C0untZer0

^ No I definately know it.

Even though Illinois is consistently referred to as "The Only State that doesn't have carry." There are a lot of factors that make some places like NJ and parts of California, a "worse" state as far as gun rights than Illinois.

We aren't banned from buying certain brands or models, we're not at the mercy of some "approved" list, we don't have a 10 round magazine limit... there are a lot of things.

And a state that in theory has concealed carry but in practice approves almost no permits for anyone is as bad or worse than Illinois IMO.

Illinois law has a better chance of being overturned by the courts as being what it is - an ouright ban of a constitutional right. NJ law has a better chance IMO of being categorized as the the state's right to regulate such matters. Just my opinion.

It can be discouraging. I felt horrible after Judge Myerscough came out with her decision and interpretation of Heller/McDonald/Ezell. Ugh - it was awfull and then a little while later Judge Stiehl issued a similarly bad decision.

It's a long fight, you just have to keep in there chipping away at it.

Hopefully the Brady bunch, LCAV and all the anti-gun politicians get discouraged with each victory that we win.

Last edited by C0untZer0; May 11, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:28 AM   #18
RedBowTies88

I completely agree

I don't wanna derail this thread further so I'll leave it at that, but trust me I could go on and on - profanity edited - GEM
Old May 11, 2012, 09:34 AM   #19
C0untZer0

^ The other thing though, and I can't help feeling this.

It's like we're all part of a brotherhood trying to overthrow these oppressive unconstitutional laws, gun owners in Wisconsin, Illinois, New Jersey, California, Maryland and other places. Until Wisconsin gets their CCW and then it's like "OK Illinois - see ya later, good luck with that Second Amendment thing..."

Hey I feel your pain...

It can feel like no gun owners outside of NJ care about what you're going through.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:40 AM   #20
RedBowTies88

Quote:
^ The other thing though, and I can't help feeling this.

It's like we're all part of a brotherhood trying to overthrow these oppressive unconstitutional laws, gun owners in Wisconsin, Illinois, New Jersey, California, Maryland and other places. Until Wisconsin gets their CCW and then it's like "OK Illinois - see ya later, good luck with that Second Amendment thing..."

Hey I feel your pain...

It can feel like no gun owners outside of NJ care about what you're going through.
I couldn't have said that better myself. I can't help feeling that way either. That is EXACTLY what it is like to be in a fighting state (well, at least for me here in NJ) Thanks for that, It's nice to see someone in another part of the country feeling the same way. Maybe I'm not crazy after all..
Old May 11, 2012, 09:47 AM   #21
C0untZer0

I didn't say you weren't crazy...
Old May 11, 2012, 10:04 AM   #22
DFrame

I doubt very much CCW will become law in Illinois. The chicago cabal led by Rahmbo Emanual will fight to the death to prevent it. He is counter attacking with a LONG list of anti-gun measures introduced by his lackeys in the General Assembly.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:08 AM   #23
RedBowTies88

Quote:
I didn't say you weren't crazy...
SHhhhhhh!, All I need if for NJSP to see that and no more purchase permits for me. They're hard enough to get as is
Old May 11, 2012, 01:06 PM   #24
hermannr

What IL and Chicago need to do is promote the person need for self defence to the black community. Black acceptance of the right to carry (V gun control) is on the increase according to the latest Pew poll, but you need to get it above the 33% it is at now.

There are millions of black folk in Chicago that are hard working law abiding citizens, they need to know that being able to defend themselves is to their advantage. If you manage that, you can break that Chicago blocade..polititians know whta they have to do to keep their job, no matter how anti-gun they are.
Old May 11, 2012, 01:31 PM   #25
C0untZer0

I agree and I have a feeling that we are close in Illinois.

Here is a link to a progressive (liberal) talk show, where the host and the guests talk about a number of issues, including changing attitudes in the African American community (typically responsible for electing staunch anti-gun politicians), they talk about a lot of different things - they start talking about gun control at around 11:16 in the piece.

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/news//3-69.php

A lot has changed since the issue was debated last, Wisconsin passed their CCW law, and Illinois has become the only state that doesn't allow some sort of carry. The fact that Illinois is the last state is a huge factor in making politicians think twice about current Illinois gun law.

Another thing that happened is that La Shawn Ford apparently changed his vote. He voted against HB 148 when it came up for a vote last time, but has been leaning toward voting for some kind of carry law this time around. La Shawn represents the west side of Chicago/Austin and part of Oak Park (normally very anti-gun).

It may be that his constituency in Chicago has changed their attitudes on having guns - I don't think Oak Park has although its possible.