The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
palabman

Women and reloading

OK... It's 2 AM and inquiring minds want to know. I don't think I have ever seen a woman post on reloading. Do any women out there reload?
Old April 22, 2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Lost Sheep

Yes, a few

There are, but I don't remember where exactly I have seen their posts. They were on TheFiringLine and TheHighRoad.

Lost Sheep
Old April 22, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3
Jim243

I can only go by a very small sampling (not statistical correct) at the rifle range. I have never seen a woman testing a load, only girlfriends of guys trying to get their GF into shooting.

I would have to say NO, but there might be one or two in the US. (NOW THAT SHOULD GET ME INTO TROUBLE) LOL

Jim
Old April 22, 2012, 08:19 AM   #4
BDS-THR

There are growing number of female match shooters and they all reload, at least at the local matches I shoot.

Listing of major female shooters:

Masters - http://womenofuspsa.com/wp/?page_id=1468

USPSA - http://womenofuspsa.com/wp/?page_id=2930

World IPSC - http://womenofuspsa.com/wp/?page_id=2975

http://womenofuspsa.com/wp/

Last edited by BDS-THR; April 22, 2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added major female match shooters
Old April 22, 2012, 04:28 PM   #5
amamnn

Currently handloaders exhibit the same attitude toward female humans on a reloading website as mariniers did toward women on a sea voyage aboard ship: somewhat less desirable than an albatross following your every move.....................
Old April 22, 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Jerry45

I’ve only ever seen one woman at the range testing loads. She was shooting and her girlfriend was watching. She had a darn nice 6 mm. rifle. She was nice enough to let me shoot it. It was a tack driver.
Old April 22, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7
ScottRiqui

I shoot with a female FBI agent that's expressed interest in reloading, and hs even loaded some rounds on my equipment. But reloading wouldn't make a lot of sense for her, since she's mostly practicing with her service pistols, and they're not allowed to use reloads in them. Plus, she gets all the Winchester Ranger ammo she wants for practice anyway.
Old April 22, 2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Petespacking

My wife dosent actually pull the handle on my press but she is very well versed in filling primer tubes, prepping brass and weighing charges to keep production running as we load. She's expressed intrest in running the press but we all know that's a mans job! She owns multible hand guns and shoots almost as often as I do so she enjoys contributing to our hobby.
Old April 22, 2012, 07:36 PM   #9
jct_ucb

I'm a "girl" , and I've just finished setting up a Lee Classic Turret to load 9mm and .45ACP. Even collected and tumbled about 1000 cases for each caliber to get started.

Basically when my ammo bills (mostly due to my hungry 1911s) started to eclipse my shoe bills I could see the writing on the wall.

JT
Old April 22, 2012, 07:44 PM   #10
markr

I wonder if any of the women from the Blue Press reload?

Washed up 11B1P
Old April 22, 2012, 08:00 PM   #11
jason75979

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct_ucb View Post
I'm a "girl" , and I've just finished setting up a Lee Classic Turret to load 9mm and .45ACP. Even collected and tumbled about 1000 cases for each caliber to get started.

Basically when my ammo bills (mostly due to my hungry 1911s) started to eclipse my shoe bills I could see the writing on the wall.

JT
Hahahahaha, my little coon_ _ _ helps me all the time. As said, its better than wasting it on foot apparel
Old April 22, 2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Misssissippi Dave

I can't think of a single reason why a woman can't do reloading if they wanted to do it. I know of some women that can easily out shoot many men. Maybe these women that shoot but don't reload for themselves are just doing it to let their man think he is useful and needed. Sometimes it is nice to be needed for something.
Old April 22, 2012, 10:19 PM   #13
oldreloader

jct welcome to the fun!!
Old April 22, 2012, 10:26 PM   #14
crankyoldlady

I do.
Old April 22, 2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Jim Watson

I don't know if Laura Perry loads her own, but she can sure hit with them, whoever does the loading.
Old April 22, 2012, 11:14 PM   #16
jimbob86

misskimo does ....
Old April 23, 2012, 01:21 PM   #17
Shootest

Quote:
I wonder if any of the women from the Blue Press reload?
I don’t think so, just paid models. Most probably have to be told what end of the gun the bullet comes out of.
Old April 23, 2012, 02:49 PM   #18
k4swb

My wife helps with the reloading mostly by unloading my loads downrange.
Getting her to load? Not gonna happen!
Old April 23, 2012, 04:13 PM   #19
jct_ucb

Thanks oldreloader!

Actually, I'm a bit of a ringer because I am a scientist by trade -- and reloading fits right into my empiric "nature"!

JT
Old April 23, 2012, 05:22 PM   #20
Cornbread

Quote:
Actually, I'm a bit of a ringer because I am a scientist by trade -- and reloading fits right into my empiric "nature"!
Welcome JT
The lady in our home is a professional nagger (and good at it I might add) and no interest in anything else !!! We been together 30 years and hope we see a lot more she’s a Hoot !!
Old April 23, 2012, 06:33 PM   #21
603Country

There might just be something here that proves or suggests that the women are smarter than we boys. Here's what I've got from this chat so far: "we boys reload and the ladies shoot up all our ammo and won't help reload". Hmmm! YaseewhatImean?
Old April 23, 2012, 06:50 PM   #22
CherokeeT

I counted three women that posted they reload. Great, the more the better.
Old April 24, 2012, 12:13 AM   #23
Mike-Mat

I know a woman can do anything she puts her mind to No question. But presses are sometimes temperamental mechanical devices and men just love fooling with mechanical devices. There's the guys that will tinker with their car even thought it's running fine.

I'm a machinist and my press is my "Machine". I keep it clean, lubricated and adjusted. It's part of the hobby. I don't think most women are interested in that type of "man/machine" interaction.

Mike
Old April 24, 2012, 02:29 AM   #24
sc928porsche

My three daughters reload and the 4th is learning. They do it because they enjoy it and shooting. As far as forums, I dont know if they ever read or participate. BTW, the three older ones have their own equipment and families.
Old April 24, 2012, 02:38 PM   #25
Ethan.G

my shooting buddy is a girl and shes the one who paid for most of the press we share, i do most of the reloading because she usually has a crunched schedule but its aloud us to shoot 30-06 twice a month without going broke hahaha (broke collage students)

also my girlfriend shoots with us every time and she love helping me out when reloading, she gets a little impatient with case prep and when weighing charges but she loves working the handle.....