The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2009, 01:15 AM   #26
inSight-NEO

Quote:
Guys that are up to snuff on the boomers tend to grab them whenever they can.
I agree. But, those who are "up to snuff" on boomers, as you say, also tend to know when or if they are ideal given a particular situation.

Every weapon has its place and time. I personally do not believe in the "one size fits all" philosophy as there are just too many variables to consider...at least in regards to CQ HD.

Keep in mind, Im not discrediting the shotgun as an extremely effective HD weapon. Im just voicing my opinion in that the shotgun may not always be the "ideal" HD weapon given certain scenarios. Of course, "entering" an establishment vs "defending" an establishment would probably require a different mindset and certainly different "tactics."
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; May 2, 2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:46 AM   #27
Katrina Guy

well whatever reason shotguns stay in cruisers,

in OUR America, do we REALLY want policemen everytime they step out of their cruisers, say to write a traffic ticket, coming out of their cars armed with a shotgun!? Come on now. Shotguns clearly stay in cruisers because it's an arm for some serious crime / serious situations. Keep things in perspective here.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:53 AM   #28
Katrina Guy

and I agree, the shotgun might not be the best overall H.D. piece

Mine stays loaded, unchambered, it's not the first thing I would grab in the middle of the night, my .45acp is what I would grab, one handable, can answer the door with it in my hand, etc etc, if I was awakened by voices, plural, and my door was being kicked in that might be a different matter...I guess it would all depend, much like policemen opting for their cruiser shotgun, on the threat level, the circumstance. But the shotgun for me anyway, wouldn't be my choice weapon for a more "ordinary" H.D. threat.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:23 AM   #29
Scattergun Bob

Katrina Guy

Quote:
in OUR America, do we REALLY want policemen everytime they step out of their cruisers, say to write a traffic ticket, coming out of their cars armed with a shotgun!? Come on now. Shotguns clearly stay in cruisers because it's an arm for some serious crime / serious situations. Keep things in perspective here.
The discussion was about HOUSE SEARCHES, not TRAFFIC STOPS. Any house search is a SERIOUS situation.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:00 AM   #30
StuntManMike

The thread title "sawed-off Wingmaster for HD" gives me pause as a prosecutor and potential libtard jury are going to focus on the words "sawed-off". I think for that reason alone I would spend the 100 bucks or so to get Mossberg's 18.5" barrel for the 870, or a genuine Remington 870 18.5" or 20" barrel.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:05 PM   #31
David Armstrong

Quote:
I agree. But, those who are "up to snuff" on boomers, as you say, also tend to know when or if they are ideal given a particular situation.
True, but the context was in regards to searching a house, and that is a great situation for the LE shotgun.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:01 PM   #32
inSight-NEO

Quote:
True, but the context was in regards to searching a house, and that is a great situation for the LE shotgun.
I agree. Thats why my responses (to this particular topic) were dealing with CQ situations or "house searches" only. Certainly the shotgun makes for a great CQ weapon, no doubt about that one. However, while searching and/or defending a home could certainly call for the use of a shotgun, other weapons (in this case handgun, for instance) may be a bit more approriate due their greater mobility (particularly if having to weild a flashlight in one hand, for instance) as compared to the shotguns larger size and more cumbersome handling characteristics. Should this not be of consideration if expected to remain effectively "mobile" within very tight quarters, say, of 1000 sq. feet or less (as in an apartment or small home)?

If I could only have ONE CQ weapon within my home, there is somewhat of a chance I would go with a 12 ga. (20" barrel or less). But, Im just not sure on this one yet. Then again, my particular needs would center around HD, which would probably not involve lugging any weapon around while performing my own version of an LE search. Rather, I would probably limit my movement to 2 rooms at best (with my mind on defending...not engaging). If, however, I was of the curious type, I would rather have a handgun for those late night "searches" should I hear something go "bump" or "crash." Like I said before, the shotgun is great, but not always the most appropriate...and this, IMHO, goes for CQ as much as anything.

Should anyone reading this "final" response of mine feel the need to disagree, I would welcome the chance to continue this "discussion" via PM. Otherwise, Im sure this somewhat "off topic" discussion could very well stretch out into weeks and/or months. I personally do not want to be responsible for a thread being "locked."
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; May 3, 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:04 PM   #33
colostomyclown

Here's what became of my 1975 Wingmaster. I Made it PGO because it had a non-magnum receiver and figured I'd designate this my PGO gun. Has a hogue tamer pg, choate forend, tac star sidesaddle and choate 2 shot extension.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:06 PM   #34
colostomyclown

and another
Old May 15, 2009, 06:27 PM   #35
ActivShootr

If you are close enough to grab my shotgun, you are within size 11 range.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:06 PM   #36
zippy13

colostomyclown
Quote:
Here's what became of my 1975 Wingmaster. I Made it PGO because it had a non-magnum receiver and figured I'd designate this my PGO gun. Has a hogue tamer pg, choate forend, tac star sidesaddle and choate 2 shot extension.
Not to start another PGO debate; but, just curious, how many practice rounds have you run through your freshly converted Wingmaster? Did you attempt to get the factory wood to work with the tac star?
Old May 15, 2009, 07:21 PM   #37
colostomyclown

I've owned PGO's before (Mossberg 500). I'm decent with them. Not the best, not horrible. It is what it is. I've probably run about 500 total shots pgo, including this wingmaster. Main reason I made it pgo because of the non-magnum chamber...if you are gonna have one PGO, it may as well me a non-magnum gun. I attempted to get the factory wood forend to work, I REALLY wanted it to, but it was too long with the tacstar. all in all, I like it. Not my favorite shotgun, but it is okay in my book...
Old May 15, 2009, 07:58 PM   #38
Mannlicher

I went with a Remington factory 20 inch rifle sight barrel. A ScatterGun Tech magazine extension, big safety, and a side saddle shell holder are the only things I have done with the shotgun. My gunsmith replaced the springs, and some other parts that were worn. This is a fairly old gun.
I don't see the shotgun as my primary HD weapon, I think one of my .45 ACPs would work better in most situations I envision happening. Still, I feel a good, reliable shotgun has a place in my defense planing.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 15, 2009, 09:28 PM   #39
Cerick

If you cut your barrel down it would be awfully hard to bird hunt with a cylinder bore. Keep the 28. Look for a cheap used 18 in if you want a tac. Ill trade you a lightly used 18.5in rem choked tac barrel for your wingmaster barrel any day