The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 21, 2008, 04:46 PM   #1
onthejon55

Coyote Baiting

Ive been hunting whitetails for awhile and decided this year that after I was done Id try to learn the ins and outs of coyote hunting. I already have a few good spots so I thought I wud try baiting them. What kind of bait is the best? I know deer carcasses work but I already disposed of mine. How long should I let the bait sit before hunting off of it?
Old December 21, 2008, 04:49 PM   #2
JonnyReb

Guess i'd visit a local deer processer for leftovers and expect them to get eaten about as soon as the coyotes figure out its there. Maybe a slaughter house or roadkill after deer season.

I'd put out a carcass and put a trail camera on it to find out whos coming to dinner and when. That info would let you set your trap better...J.R.
Old December 21, 2008, 07:50 PM   #3
treg

Tie a chicken to a small tree.
Old December 21, 2008, 08:39 PM   #4
JonnyReb

When i got my mini pin puppy, bug, i told my wife i was gonna "borrow" him for a little african style(tied goat to tree) coyote hunting. Needless to say bug didnt go and i didn't see any coyotes.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Coyotes will eat darned near anything. Old deer carcasses, leftover food (except orange peel and onion rinds and suchlike) and even El Cheapo dry dog food. Ol' Wily is pretty close to being a four-legged Dispos-All.

You can set out a car battery that's wired to a brake light bulb, and have a red translucent shield over it. Hang it above the bait; something smelly like canned pet food. Just sit back about fifty yards crosswind in your truck and wait.