The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 19, 2001, 07:13 PM   #1
ragingbull454

Problem with Mossberg 9200

Hello,

This was my first gun ever purchased, and after looking around for awhile, and asking opinions, I decided on the 9200. My cousin has it, and has no problems, so that was the key influcence.

However, my experience is nothing but negative. To date, its been back to Mossberg for repair 3 times, they've had it just about the entire summer, shipped it back and certified that it was OK, now I'm getting ready to ship it back to them. The problem now, is that when I try to load a shell into the chamber, the magazine door (forgot the technical name) in front of the trigger guard catches on a piece of metal, preventing me from inserting shells.

I was thinking about taking them to small claims court and trying to get my money back so I can buy something else.

I'm really getting tired of sending this thing back. I've got a shotgun deer permit, and am looking forward to that, but more importantly, waterfowl season will soon be upon us, and I just can't miss that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Erick
Old August 19, 2001, 11:09 PM   #2
bdog

I am sure many here will disagree with me, but in my opinion mossberg shotguns are junk. I have never seen one of their autos work properly and I have seen some of their pumps break as well. I would get rid of it and get yourself a higher quality shotgun. Good luck trying to get $$ out of them.
Old August 19, 2001, 11:41 PM   #3
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Ditto what bdog said. Mossberg has a long history of making inexpensive semiauto jam-o-matics. Notice they don't even make a semi anymore. They had so many problems they dropped it from their catalog. -- Kernel
Old August 20, 2001, 06:21 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Sorry you got a lemon..

You may get better results if you'll talk to the customer service folks and ask for your shotgun to be replaced. Gun Control Act of 1968 allows manufactors to send new guns if the old one is terminal. Not sure what your state laws allow.

If they ceased making the 9200, you may want to go to the retailer and ask for your money back.

Litigation is your "nuclear bomb", last resort sort of thing.

Giz
Old August 21, 2001, 03:37 PM   #5
biganimal

I'm real surprised that you are having so much trouble with the 9200 and mossberg's repair dept. I have several semis including a jap junk browning as well as a belgin made a5, an 11-87 that would better work as a tomato stake , an ithaca 51 and 2 20 ga 1100s. my wife has a 9200 that has given us no problems in 4 years. she shoots skeet, doves, and with a barrel change it's a deer gun. this and the 1100s are the only semis that haven't had problems. I feel that everyone has an opinion and mine is that our 9200 is one fine shotgun. I know some folks just have to spend tons of money to feel that they got a good gun, but we don't. I'm sorry to hear about your problems , good luck to ya sir.
Old August 22, 2001, 02:07 PM   #6
VictorLouis

The 'mag door' is normally referred to as a lifter, or carrier. On the Mossy, there is a big button just under the ejection port behind the forend. You must depress this to free-up the lifter so that you can access the mag. Is the release button jammed somehow? Does the lifter depress at all, then gets caught halfway?
Old August 22, 2001, 03:43 PM   #7
ragingbull454

There is nothing wrong with the button itself. I push that, and the door is able to be opened a little bit. There is a piece of metal behind the door that prevents it from opening fully.

Erick
Old August 22, 2001, 03:53 PM   #8
VictorLouis

Bummer. Sorry to hear that it's been a hassle for you.
Old January 3, 2002, 01:03 AM   #9
Kermit

I have had my 9200 a LONG time. I will take it out only 3 or 4 times a year. Everytime I take it out one last time before I sell it, I end up keeping it...O Well
Old January 6, 2002, 09:17 PM   #10
aerod1

Mossberg had problems with their model 5500 and it looks as if the same holds true for the 9200.
Jim
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old January 7, 2002, 01:53 AM   #11
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have a Mossbeg 9200 and a Remington 11-87, both in 12 ga. and both in beautiful high gloss walnut wood. I have had them for about ten years, and they both have worked just fine. The Mossberg was a lot less expensive than the Remington, but I like as much if not better than the Remington. I guess I pretty much like them both about the same, but I do prefer the tang safety of the Mossberg better than the Remington cross bolt. I also have a Mossberg 12 pump with a 20 inch cylinder bore barrel and full length magazine. It also works like a charm.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile